Humor Random Comments Thread

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The American, European, and Japanese ISS modules also contain experiment racks, so the cross-section in which people can move around is only a 2 x 2 meter square. The Russian modules are even more cramped than that.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
...Why the ISS is so claustrophobic, but the Skylab was so spacious and futuristic?

ISS:
Screen-Shot-2013-05-05-at-8.16.42-AM.png

Inside-ISS-Practice-set-up-for-Dragon.jpg

Skylab:
SL4-150-5074.jpg

skylab1.jpg

Discovery One:
2001.jpg

:shrug:

Personally, this comes to my head to compare the stations:
Skylab:
Versalles-espejos.jpg

ISS:
ascensor-antiguo-reformado_154069.jpg

:shrug:

Because Saturn V.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
This place is claustrophobic?

1024px-ISS-42_Terry_Virts%2C_Samantha_Cristoforetti_and_Anton_Shkaplerov_in_the_Destiny_lab.jpg

Whatever the heck "futuristic" means to you, it may or may not have, but small it is not.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Whatever the heck "futuristic" means to you, it may or may not have, but small it is not.

Wellll... compared to the inside of an S-IVb, I'd say it qualifies as "small".

OTOH, over time, given enough time, Skylab may have found itself partitioned into rooms and filed with equipment to the point that an interior photo might have liked much like what we now see on the ISS.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
...Why the ISS is so claustrophobic, but the Skylab was so spacious and futuristic?

Because the ISS is inhabited without break for over 15 years now? While Skylab was only occupied for 171 days in total.

The ISS looked really like fresh from the furniture stores brochure when it was launched...

Destiny_as_just_installed.jpg

I would say, the ISS is still way more futuristic - because it is a real space station and not some attempt at it.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Don't forget, that's how big some ISS modules are, with all the equipment removed:

I wonder how spacious would the innards of a shuttle ET feel like - they wanted to turn them into space stations too, back when NASA was cool.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I wonder how spacious would the innards of a shuttle ET feel like - they wanted to turn them into space stations too, back when NASA was cool.

Well, for visualization:

Space_Shuttle_external_tank_assembly_01.jpg

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
But the "Ring of ETs" station idea had them spun so you would have gravity and maybe install a couple of decks. Back when NASA was cool indeed.

iu

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
All explained:
Back when NASA was cool indeed.
Because Saturn V.
Indeed
763px-Aldrin_Apollo_11_original.jpg

:cheers:

Because the ISS is inhabited without break for over 15 years now? While Skylab was only occupied for 171 days in total.

The ISS looked really like fresh from the furniture stores brochure when it was launched...

Destiny_as_just_installed.jpg

I would say, the ISS is still way more futuristic - because it is a real space station and not some attempt at it.

Nice, over the years, the interior materials are worn or damaged?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Nice, over the years, the interior materials are worn or damaged?

Yes, and like very often, also bought up and never bought back down. The interior is now full with various experiments or other things to store. Or small modifications possible because technology progressed while the Space Station was in space.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Aren't they still sorting through data collected from the ATM? Skylab was still a pretty good use of hardware, and if the budget held, and Columbia not way behind schedule, things could have been vastly different.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I had real bad taste several years ago.

My favorite font was Comic Sans, because I thought it looked cute. I once had replaced all the fonts on my computer with it. I also even enjoyed the second (Michael Bay) Transformers movie, because I only payed attention to the action scenes and could sit through all the trashy plot and dialogue. And this car (specifically the Pivo 2), I thought it had a cool and unique design, not understanding why everyone else was calling it ugly.

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, for visualization:

Space_Shuttle_external_tank_assembly_01.jpg

Holy crap.

Thats big enough that Id bet there would be occasional problems with crew getting stuck in the middle in freefall, needing something (or somebody) thrown at them to get out of the middle :lol:

Why exactly did this idea of using ETs never catch on? (I know internal volume isnt everything with station modules, but it still seems like a pretty decent idea)

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Why exactly did this idea of using ETs never catch on? (I know internal volume isnt everything with station modules, but it still seems like a pretty decent idea)

Same reasons other good ideas don't catch on with NASA: lack of budget.

To be fair, using an ET as a space station is not super easy or cheap, though. Getting it into orbit isn't hard; you just burn the main engines a few extra seconds. But then the real work starts.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Let me guess, now you like the AE86 Sprinter Trueno.

Damn, that looks like the car a friend had as first car after making a license. You need to learn a lot for getting a drivers license in Germany, specially today... but still he had never learned to use the choke until I sat in there and complained about the really bad engine sound that his car made. Poor little car.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
It's pretty much the Japanese Domestic Market's early Toyota Corolla. Except it was part of an anime, and now every weeaboo with even a passing interest in refined petroleum wants one.