Humor Random Comments Thread

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
No problem with good paywalls... if I get something for my money. But I hate paying money for three barely edited sentences of the national news agency. Or poorly researched FUD, that is already a lie after 12 hours.

After all, I also pay for my music and my video games... why not pay for good information?

You are obviously NOT a Millennial, don't you know you're supposed to get everything for no money in exchange for all your personal information, and that it's uncool to ever use the word "privacy"? :lol:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Last day of teaching for the semester! Nothing left but administering and grading the final exams, then tending to the wounded and shooting the cripples. Don't pick up the chalk again until September.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I just learned about Autodesk ending all sale of perpetual licenses at the start of last year.
Now you can only pay per month, per year, or per three years.

We really live in a subscription-based software world now.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
We really live in a subscription-based software world now.
Nah, that just means they'll be able to sell much less as people move to thepiratebay or other reasonable distributors that fix broken software like that.

Majid

Reaction score
Nah, that just means they'll be able to sell much less as people move to thepiratebay or other reasonable distributors that fix broken software like that.

Pirating software may be an option for individuals, but it isn't an option for legal business entities if they wish to remain in business. Enterprise is where the money is at my friend. I doubt autodesk is making most of its money off individual users.

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
Pirating software may be an option for individuals, but it isn't an option for legal business entities if they wish to remain in business. Enterprise is where the money is at my friend. I doubt autodesk is making most of its money off individual users.
Seriously.

They give their software for free to students. Which allows people to use it who can't afford to, and gets their software into use by students' future employers.

I requested a license from my employer and realized how bad they must be getting screwed with new versions.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

Well, that's true in the West, but Artlav's in Russia, where, given the current climate of international relations, I'm willing to bet that people caught pirating western software are given medals for patriotism.

Even in the West, though, FOSS alternatives are going to look more and more attractive.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm willing to bet that people caught pirating western software are given medals for patriotism.
Not quite. :)
Not too far off, however - there is a wide push for "import replacement", and thus using FOSS is encouraged. There are a couple of "National Linux" distros floating around, but i'm yet to see one in use, most just use Ubuntu or Alt.

On pirating, consider the language.
In the west you people say "software" and "pirated software".
Here we say "software" and "licensed software".
And the latter is kind of hard to come by, outside of things on Steam and app stores.

It's been a decade and then some since i fixed computers for a living, and back then there were some rumours about police going after people for installing Windows and such, but no real cases i'm directly aware of. Nowadays, there aren't even rumours.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Huh... If anyone was per chance looking for a perfect example on how not to do a BLAME! anime, you can find one on Netflix now. :facepalm:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Orbital altitude change on paper

l45QXyi.jpg

So lately I've been working with BurnTimeCalcMFD, and to determine my Dv for a basic altitude change, I looked up the equations and did the math myself. I'm very proud of this even tho it's basic stuff.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
l45QXyi.jpg

So lately I've been working with BurnTimeCalcMFD, and to determine my Dv for a basic altitude change, I looked up the equations and did the math myself. I'm very proud of this even tho it's basic stuff.

It seems basic to us space/tech geeks, but to the average Star Wars fan on the street who thinks he's a geek because he can hack or code or whatever, doing your own orbital calculations seems like magic.

Real nerds can do a patched-conic approximation, compute burn times using the Tsiolkovsky Rocket Equation, and navigate from Earth to Mars using only a calculator and a pad of paper, and get it close enough to aerobrake upon arrival!

I've done stuff like this a few times. One day I got tired of trying to guess my way through a manual Lunar landing, so I sat down and worked out how far away from the landing zone I needed to fire my engine at half a G acceleration, and what vertical rate to set using my pitch angle, and lo and behold I nailed the landing.

It's good to get in touch with your inner Buzz Aldrin from time to time.

That kind of stuff is where I get the most satisfaction out of a sim like Orbiter.

Last edited:

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've done stuff like this a few times. One day I got tired of trying to guess my way through a manual Lunar landing, so I sat down and worked out how far away from the landing zone I needed to fire my engine at half a G acceleration, and what vertical rate to set using my pitch angle, and lo and behold I nailed the landing.

It's good to get in touch with your inner Buzz Aldrin from time to time.

That kind of stuff is where I get the most satisfaction out of a sim like Orbiter.

That's what I was thinking. I got tired of just going by estimations. I'm not awful at math, but not that good either, and this kind of stuff is tangible to me. It was really fun getting these calculations and having them be correct.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
You are obviously NOT a Millennial, don't you know you're supposed to get everything for no money in exchange for all your personal information, and that it's uncool to ever use the word "privacy"? :lol:

No, I still remember how it was like being under surveillance... and that was just for the few days in my life of visiting the other half of my relatives in the GDR. I learned quickly what the word "Stasi informer" means.

And privacy given away once can't be reclaimed.

---------- Post added at 04:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:58 PM ----------

Real nerds can do a patched-conic approximation, compute burn times using the Tsiolkovsky Rocket Equation, and navigate from Earth to Mars using only a calculator and a pad of paper, and get it close enough to aerobrake upon arrival!

And if you have a slide rule around, you are really having fun - especially since the typical electronic pocket calculator is performing worse in that field, while a slide rule is accurate enough and way faster for calculations with many logarithms.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Speaking of random stuff, i just dug up my DIY digital-camera-in-a-box, took a timelapse of a sunset with it and spent the rest of the evening figuring how to do automatic white balancing.

Turns out it's kinda hard...
2lpO93E.gif

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I'm afraid I have to pass on that... :lol:

It's not that hard. If you have access to a copy of Understanding Space by Jerry Jon Sellers he explains it pretty well. It can be a tedious exercise but the math for it really isn't that hard.