Humor Random Comments Thread

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
For the last week or so much of the continental US has been in a cold snap with some areas getting the deep freeze treatment. Here in the DC area the temperatures have been dipping into the single digits (F) at night, and staying below freezing during daylight hours. I visited the Potomac River bank today to find the river frozen over; there were people walking on the surface trying to play hockey in 19degF and bitter cold wind.

All good as far as I'm concerned, I generally love the cold, although when it's this cold I have to take measures to make sure the pipes don't freeze in my house. Crank up the heater higher than usual, and let the water drip in key places to keep it moving.

Unfortunately for one of my neighbors, they didn't follow this routine. They appear to have left on a trip some days ago without turning off the water or taking any other precautions. The other night walking past their house I noticed there was a glacier of ice on the walk about 2 inches thick leading back up the steps to their front door. Looked a little closer with a flashlight and there was water dripping out of the siding across the entire front of the house. Big thick icicles have formed underneath the living room bay window. Peering around at the back of the house, there are icicles hanging from the sliding glass door at the same level, leading into the kitchen. The windows have ice formed inside them on the window sills, and are all frosted up.

So their living room, kitchen, downstairs finished basement, and possibly parts of the upstairs bedroom level, are all completely ruined, and these poor souls don't even know this is waiting for them when they return home!

Somebody called the water company, who apparently turned off the water main and left a note on the front door, so at least the bleeding has stopped, but that is going to be, I'm guessing, tens of thousands of dollars in damage to the house itself, not to mention how much of their furniture and other belongings are totally trashed as well. And, of course, they will have to find a place to live in the meantime, since the house will be uninhabitable until at least some of the water damage is repaired. What an awful thing to see.

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, as we joke around here in Moscow under the rain and +4*C on New Year's day, you Americans should really stop stealing our winter if you don't know how to use it.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Its been 3 or 4 degrees here, a hard wind blowing off the North Sea, and I'm FREeezing!
N.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
35 car accident just south of me today due to ice on the roads. On a major interstate too. The I-75 corridor between Atlanta and Chattanooga is heavily travelled but still ice managed to accumulate enough to be a problem.

The forecast says it'll be in the high 60's Thursday.

Matias Saibene

Development hell
Reaction score
Website
de-todo-un-poco-computacion-e-ideas.blogspot.com.ar
Here on the contrary we have a terrible heat. Could someone send us some cold? (with the help of some complex thermodynamic device, like ice).
For today Tuesday the forecast says that it will make 39 ° C, in my city, Monte Hermoso, which is a beach. But in the nearby city of Bahía Blanca (where the summer is worse) on Friday it will make 41 ° C:uhh:.

Also, the weather is so unstable (like so many things here) that a month ago I was still wearing coats. And now the temperature has increased so much that even seawater has at least 20 ° C. And with the presence of a new species of jellyfish, Liriope tetraphylla, the picture is complete.

Tomorrow I'm going to buy some hydrogen isotopes to make nuclear fusion by exposing them to sunlight with a magnifying glass.
-------------------

Oh, and by the way, nice NASA graphics.
nasa_60th_logo.jpg

NASA Releases Logo For Upcoming 60th Anniversary

https://www.nasa.gov/60

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Amazon played Ding-Dong-Ditch-It with me today. Got a package delivered, right street address but wrong name. I called and said that I wasn't the intended recipient, Amazon apologized and said to keep the package.

I am now the proud owner of two (2) copies of Tommy Two Shoes. Colorful, but the plot is a bit thin.

Attachments

• 20180109_175256.jpg
    20180109_175256.jpg
    163.8 KB · Views: 14

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
That's very good of them, which one are you reading first?

N.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
:blink: Putting in for a different job w/in this jacked-up company. I haven't built a resume in nearly 20 years...

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
If it's an internal transfer, why do you need a resume?

tl8

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
:blink: Putting in for a different job w/in this jacked-up company. I haven't built a resume in nearly 20 years...

I have found that a super basic resume (1 page) and a portfolio looks nice. resume has the core important items while the portfolio has a fairly comprehensive list of projects (Which you can filter).

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
If it's an internal transfer, why do you need a resume?

I thought the same thing. When I moved from Fossil Power Group to Nuclear I didn't need a resume. I got a phone call with the guy telling me "If you want to transfer over, be here on Monday to start some paperwork".

Or at least words to that effect.

---------- Post added at 05:56 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:41 AM ----------

I have found that a super basic resume (1 page) and a portfolio looks nice. resume has the core important items while the portfolio has a fairly comprehensive list of projects (Which you can filter).

What I've got as a rough cut is a short paragraph of duties from previous jobs. If I went and did a "bullet style" and went all the way back to my Navy days it'd be 4 or 5 pages. Nobody wants to read that. And I certainly don't want to write it.

The advantage is the foreman over the place I'm putting in for has known me since I transferred in (holy smokes) 13 years ago. He's the one that recruited me into applying for this new position in the first place. I need to ask him how detailed I need to be. Could be it doesn't matter; if they fill the position by seniority there is only one guy ahead of me, and he isn't interested as there is so little opportunity for overtime (me and overtime, we are not friends).

I'll be interested to see how this process works. If nothing else I don't need to transfer. #2 on the seniority list, and only one of 4-5 people who are familiar with the electro/hydraulic feed pump controls. My position here is not too bad. But I'll not forgive them for the annual leave I lost (it wound up being 56.5 hours, so quite a chunk of change).

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If I went and did a "bullet style" and went all the way back to my Navy days it'd be 4 or 5 pages. Nobody wants to read that.

In Switzerland we usually do it very coarse, unless a position is relevant for the job we're applying for. Like
1908-1997: Elementary school
1997-2001: apprenticeship as dodat
2001: military service
2002-2015: Employement as dodat
-etc

usually it gets more detailed the closer to the present you get, or if something is related to the position you're applying for. At least in Switzerland, one of the most important things in a CV is that it's complete. You have a timespan missing in there, employers will immediately relegate you to the C-list because they think you're a lazy bum that didn't work in that time, or did something you don't want them to know.
Maybe that's different in the US, though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Here you only write what you did in the past ten years after leaving school. Nobody is really interested in such old stuff in your CV here, but it might be asked in a job interview.

Also, German CVs are a bit more formal as you can expect than in other countries... currently a three part structure is considered "respectful", first a short greeting and introduction to your person and your motivations in prose, next a tabular biography that fits on a single page and for some years now a third page with your special skills and abilities.

In academic circles it might be common to expect you to write a full CV for a small assistant job - but you can also get employed by handshake.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
In Switzerland we usually do it very coarse, unless a position is relevant for the job we're applying for. Like
1908-1997: Elementary school
1997-2001: apprenticeship as dodat
2001: military service
2002-2015: Employement as dodat
-etc

You Swiss are pretty keen on your primary school education, aren't you? :lol:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
After talking with the dude I hope to soon be working for, it was easier than I thought. I just submitted my linkedin profile. EasyPeasy.

The best news I've heard is that the manager is easily one of the best managers here in the valley. Since he works "outside the fence" in Emergency Preparedness, he doesn't step in the everyday crap that goes on here. I've met him several time on some special projects, he's a great guy.

Wish me luck!

Last edited: