Humor Random Comments Thread

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, I would be have been 17!

Actually Apollo 8 seemed more significant to me at the time.
By Apollo 11 NASA seemed to have it nailed...

N.

Omega7716

Reaction score
Sadly no but I'm watching the mission in real-time its very interesting!

:)

paddy2

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah I was there. Sat up with my Dad, around 0300hrs trying to stay awake even though I totally in to it. My bedroom wall was covered in cuttings from the papers for years after. Even after I had left home for the RAF in 1971.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I just caught myself assessing our development velocity by the growth rate of our backlog, and realised that I had been unconsciously doing so for a couple of weeks now. This does not bode well for the rest of the year... :shifty:

NukeET

Gen 1:1
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
sites.google.com
Mom said I watched the moon landing while sitting in our living room floor. I was 14 months old. I do remember some of the Skylab missions.

Yes, I would be have been 17!

Actually Apollo 8 seemed more significant to me at the time.
By Apollo 11 NASA seemed to have it nailed...

N.

Yeah I was there. Sat up with my Dad, around 0300hrs trying to stay awake even though I totally in to it. My bedroom wall was covered in cuttings from the papers for years after. Even after I had left home for the RAF in 1971.

I was 7 at the time, and watched the first step while sitting in my father's lap

Both 8 and 11 are significant. Apollo 8 for 1st men see Earthrise. Apollo 11, 1st men on the surface.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Sigh. On the other side of the pond, my mother haven't even heard about it until the 80s and my father heard about it but haven't seen the broadcasts until much later. Apparently there wasn't much more than a passing mention in the newspaper at the time, and few people noticed.

No wonder so many of the older generation here believe the landings were a hoax - the 90s "documentary" about faking it was the first time a lot of them heard about it at all, and most think there is only, like, a dozen pictures total in existence - being shown hundreds of images from Apollo, good, bad, blurry, perfect, overexposed, blank and so on, was an epiphany for my aunt.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
My Mother still doesn't believe it happened even though she watched as much TV coverage as I and my father did.
She's 90 with Alzheimer so that isn't going to change!
Might have been poor education as she was growing up. Left school at 15, and during the WWII years half the school went in the morning, the others in the afternoon because of air-raids. Was never interested in science or maths.
My father had similar experience but grew up in a family engineering business that gave him a different aspect.

N.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I hate it. First gastroenteritis, now followed directly by a cold.

IT IS SUMMER, DAMNIT!

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hate it. First gastroenteritis, now followed directly by a cold.

I also have a cold right now, though it's really not unusual for me, even during summer. I always get a cold when the weather shifts suddenly, even if it gets warmer. Which it didn't this weekend...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I'm somewhat shocked, but wish I could say I was surprised, to find myself in the position of likely switching to KDE in the near future. When I started using Linux 10 years ago, KDE was ahead of almost all of the competition, but GNOME at that time was, by a long shot, the best desktop environment that has ever existed. Unfortunately, GNOME has spent most of that time rotting into a festering pile of Apple-esque Fisher Price ooze, and while I jumped ship to MATE years ago, the entire GTK ecosystem has been decaying at a somewhat slower pace since the GNOME project controls GTK. In the past few years, both MATE and XFCE have gone to GTK3, which brings MATE down from world class to merely good. The MATE project really should have forked GTK along with GNOME. KDE, meanwhile, isn't a lot better than what I remember, but unlike practically every other desktop out there (other than MacOS, which was already bad), it hasn't gotten significantly worse in the past decade, so it's it ahead of the pack by default.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I'm somewhat shocked, but wish I could say I was surprised, to find myself in the position of likely switching to KDE in the near future.
Why not XFCE? Been using it since forever, it's clean and does not get in your way.

Abdullah

armchair engineer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Imagine....just imagine...........imagine if SpaceX went bankrupt

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I'm somewhat shocked, but wish I could say I was surprised, to find myself in the position of likely switching to KDE in the near future. When I started using Linux 10 years ago, KDE was ahead of almost all of the competition, but GNOME at that time was, by a long shot, the best desktop environment that has ever existed. Unfortunately, GNOME has spent most of that time rotting into a festering pile of Apple-esque Fisher Price ooze, and while I jumped ship to MATE years ago, the entire GTK ecosystem has been decaying at a somewhat slower pace since the GNOME project controls GTK. In the past few years, both MATE and XFCE have gone to GTK3, which brings MATE down from world class to merely good. The MATE project really should have forked GTK along with GNOME. KDE, meanwhile, isn't a lot better than what I remember, but unlike practically every other desktop out there (other than MacOS, which was already bad), it hasn't gotten significantly worse in the past decade, so it's it ahead of the pack by default.

Disregard this. I started posting in this thread, then decided OS Wars would be more appropriate, and then ended up absent-mindedly hitting post on both. Mods can delete, editing posts doesn't work on my phone and our landline Internet is going to be down for several days.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Interesting chap:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I've been using FRMS and parachutes to recover escape towers after jettison in KSP. I really hope that real-life space agencies start putting camera setups onto the escape towers for their manned launchers, because the view from a separating escape tower is magnificent! Likely it will be necessary to use multiple fixed cameras with 360 coverage and stitching/anti-spin in software, given that the tower is going to have off-centerline thrust to generate lateral separation from the launch vehicle's flight path, but it really does make for impressive footage.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Likely it will be necessary to use multiple fixed cameras with 360 coverage and stitching/anti-spin in software

Since this is basically my current field of work (not for rockets, unfortunately), I'd say that your best bet is to leave the production of the final images/videos (the stitching/movement correction part) to a computer on the ground. Just hang some cameras on there that are as dumb (and light) as possible. What I wonder, though, is your planned means of delivery... You definitely don't want to clog up your telemetry stream with video...