Humor Random Comments Thread

steph

Reaction score
The old filament ones used to explode . Well, implode, actually. Probably defects in the glass, but I've seen them go like that many times in my childhood :p . The approach was not to get high-watt lightbulbs, but to have some humongous chandelier hang from the ceiling, with several low-watt light bulbs . There were the old soviet appartments for the party members which actually had multiple light switches so you could control which light bulbs were on. Pure insanity, looking back at it, especially since power outages were the norm.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The old filament ones used to explode . Well, implode, actually. Probably defects in the glass, but I've seen them go like that many times in my childhood :p . The approach was not to get high-watt lightbulbs, but to have some humongous chandelier hang from the ceiling, with several low-watt light bulbs . There were the old soviet appartments for the party members which actually had multiple light switches so you could control which light bulbs were on. Pure insanity, looking back at it, especially since power outages were the norm.

At least, the power outages really made everybody equal in communism.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Just watched the last episode of Chernobyl, quite moving with some real life facts on the fate of the main characters.
Quite a poignant story, some melancholy but not overdone.
Tells the story of the clean-up well, the miners, the divers, the soldiers. Even the Control Room, they didn't know about the control-rod carbon tips?

Now I've looked again I haven't seen a single light-bulb, must be my imagination...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Even the Control Room, they didn't know about the control-rod carbon tips?

No, very likely not. Maybe somebody did already see a control rod during maintenance, but as far as the investigations go, it was kept secret that these graphite tips are increasing reactivity (a lot) during the first seconds of deployment.

There had been two incidents of this nature before Chernobyl, one famous in Leningrad and a small power excursion in Ignalina. Both had been written into the reports, archived and kept secret.

Maybe some knowledge about the incidents was passed from operator to operator, but only few people of Chernobyl had been at Leningrad at the time of the incident and none of them came close to Ignalina.

Again, the most astounding thing for me: There are still around 20 RBMK reactors in operation.

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
No, very likely not. Maybe somebody did already see a control rod during maintenance, but as far as the investigations go, it was kept secret that these graphite tips are increasing reactivity (a lot) during the first seconds of deployment.

There had been two incidents of this nature before Chernobyl, one famous in Leningrad and a small power excursion in Ignalina. Both had been written into the reports, archived and kept secret.

Maybe some knowledge about the incidents was passed from operator to operator, but only few people of Chernobyl had been at Leningrad at the time of the incident and none of them came close to Ignalina.

Again, the most astounding thing for me: There are still around 20 RBMK reactors in operation.
All of them in Russia, if memory serves. Everyone else shuttered them as soon as other, safer options presented themselves.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually just 10, at three stations in Russia (Leningrad, Smolensk, and Kursk). All RBMK-1000s.

Oh, I had read 18 or 19 somewhere. Had some of them been closed lately? The other RMBK at Chernobyl had been operating for a while after the accident as well.

---------- Post added at 08:35 ---------- Previous post was at 08:22 ----------

All of them in Russia, if memory serves. Everyone else shuttered them as soon as other, safer options presented themselves.

Well, Ignalina was operating for a while and even survived its successor. They closed it finally in 2009, the first block here had to be closed for joining the EU.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Sometimes, debugging feels like searching for a needle in a haystack.
Sometimes it feels like searching for a needle in a haystack, but you're not sure if you've got the right stack.
And right now, it feels like doing the above while also wearing a blindfold and thick mittens. Damn!

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Sometimes, debugging feels like searching for a needle in a haystack.
Sometimes it feels like searching for a needle in a haystack, but you're not sure if you've got the right stack.
And right now, it feels like doing the above while also wearing a blindfold and thick mittens. Damn!

Still better than finding a timing bug in the interaction of three servers. This used to be an exorzism. With an atheist demon.

Topper

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For everybody who thought that it makes no difference wether if you go to election or not: In the "state election" of Thüringen (Germany) it could be possible that one vote makes the difference if the FDP moves into the state parlament or not. That's very curious to me. However, the official final result will follow, but at the moment it seems that they have 55 422 votes and thats one vote over the required 5%...

https://www.spiegel.de/politik/deut...ch-mit-einer-stimme-im-landtag-a-1294249.html (German)

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
"Bundesland" is translated to "state".

Our country elections are between the two major parties of "Boss Hoss" and "Truck Stop".

(And the reporting about the election results also shows great the difference between BBC and Telegraph. At the BBC, they know that he is more like Goebbels)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Jupp Heynckes is completely offline and its absolutely impossible to get him on the phone today.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Misadventures in procedural plot generation, part 2:

The crown negotiated a favourable arms deal with the king, at a local store.

At least, "the crown" in this case is in the meaning of "the government", not the object, but the King happens to be its only member, so the whole thing is still weird enough.

Fortunately, this one is just due to insufficiently narrow parameters and not due to a logic failure, but I guess there's going to be a lot of that as this little experiment continues.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Misadventures in procedural plot generation, part 2:

The crown negotiated a favourable arms deal with the king, at a local store.

At least, "the crown" in this case is in the meaning of "the government", not the object, but the King happens to be its only member, so the whole thing is still weird enough.

Fortunately, this one is just due to insufficiently narrow parameters and not due to a logic failure, but I guess there's going to be a lot of that as this little experiment continues.

You mean the crown as defined by Terry Pratchett in his novel "Nation"? :lol:

Mr. Black straightened up. 'As you wish. We are known as the Gentlemen of Last Resort. We serve the Crown. Does that help you?'
'But I thought the king was-' The captain stopped, not wanting to say the dreadful word.
'He is dead, Captain Samson. But the Crown itself is not.'

'Ah, you've got it right at last, Mother, ' said the king. 'I'm me, not us. I am I, not we. One pair of buttocks on the throne, one head in the crown.'