Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
In switzerland, we have a general rule of thumb: Is there maize? Yes? Then there's boars...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
We killed off all the dangerous animals centuries ago, bears, wolves, boars.
Most of the raptors, some are being re-introduced.

Some resistance from farmers as you would expect.

Otherwise we aren't used to dangerous animals, probably why we have little interest in owning firearms.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
We killed off all the dangerous animals centuries ago, bears, wolves, boars.

Over-pendantically, you haven't eliminated wolves or boars: A poodle or chihuahua is still c. lupus, and your bacon comes from s. scrofa.

Our boars here tend to be cross-breeds between feral pigs and actual wild boars introduced for hunting.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Went through my CD rack to find something suitable to finally adjust the subwoofer. Had a similar effect as going through a photo album, only more so... :cry:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Went through my CD rack to find something suitable to finally adjust the subwoofer. Had a similar effect as going through a photo album, only more so... :cry:

If you want a good balance, try Rammstein.
If you want to know what the subwoofer can handle, try Motörhead...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
An unplanned nightshift here, the husband of a friend had a bad tractor accident this evening, my girlfriend is now sitting their children, while I am on standby duty as driver and keep an eye on our daughter.

Still - its exactly those nights, in which its hard to stay awake...

Lets see of things get a bit more clear and organized tomorrow.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Sorry to hear this, Urwumpe, I hope all goes well.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
An unplanned nightshift here, the husband of a friend had a bad tractor accident this evening, my girlfriend is now sitting their children, while I am on standby duty as driver and keep an eye on our daughter.

Was this a farm tractor (the primary sense in English when the word "tractor" is used unqualified), or has something been lost in translation? I was under the impression that you lived in a fairly urban area (doesn't mean you can't have rural friends, but you'd be more likely not to be close enough to render timely aid).

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Was this a farm tractor (the primary sense in English when the word "tractor" is used unqualified), or has something been lost in translation? I was under the impression that you lived in a fairly urban area (doesn't mean you can't have rural friends, but you'd be more likely not to be close enough to render timely aid).

Farm tractor is the common understanding of the word, yes. In fact, I don't think the german language has any other meaning for the word.
It is not unusual for europe to have farmland immediately adjacent to urban areas. And even if you're way in the countryside, there's usually hospitals close enough. And if there isn't, there's helicopters.

EDIT: Oh wait, little misunderstanding. You meant for *him* to get there, not for medical aid to get there.

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Farm tractor is the common understanding of the word, yes. In fact, I don't think the german language has any other meaning for the word.

In English it can have other meanings when qualified. The biggest is that a semi (semi-articulated truck => Sattelzug) will often be called a tractor-trailer. But without the trailer, you'd have to call it a semi tractor (though semi cab is more typical), or people would think you were talking about the farm vehicle.

EDIT: Oh wait, little misunderstanding. You meant for *him* to get there, not for medical aid to get there.

Exactly.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

It was a small farm tractor with a trailer. And yes, very rural place: Upper Westerwald. I travel between Wolfsburg and Westerwald, with COVID-19, I only visit Wolfsburg for some work appointments, but do most of the work from my small office here.

This accident happened about 1 km away from me, but no, friend is a strong word for somebody I would rather call a "lucky fool". His wife is a long-term friend of my girlfriend and his children are good friends of my children. But aside of this, I have little contact with him and prefer some social distance to his friends.

Ambulance and police arrived before we got there, we only heard the crash on our way home without even knowing what had happened. We got a weird feeling when the ambulance car drove towards the farm next to us, instead of, as expected, the federal road uphill. Our main job was just caring for the children this night.

(Maybe a bit lucky there. While the next hospital is just 12 minutes away, police usually needs around 40 minutes to arrive because of the nearby state border, today they got here in a few minutes)

---------- Post added at 09:10 ---------- Previous post was at 03:29 ----------

And the next one... our cat has caught a young bird alive and brought him home for playing.

I can't tell which injuries the bird has, one wing does not feel too good, but looks like we are now responsible for him for the next weeks.

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
And the next one... our cat has caught a young bird alive and brought him home for playing.

I can't tell which injuries the bird has, one wing does not feel too good, but looks like we are now responsible for him for the next weeks.

Now, for my part, I'd just have said "obligate carnivores gonna carnivore" when I saw the cat with the bird and wished the cat bon appétit, but if you feel that much pity for the bird, it would perhaps be better to foist responsibility for the bird off onto a household that does not contain a cat, or the bird will probably end up as stdin to /bin/cat anyways.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Now, for my part, I'd just have said "obligate carnivores gonna carnivore" when I saw the cat with the bird and wished the cat bon appétit, but if you feel that much pity for the bird, it would perhaps be better to foist responsibility for the bird off onto a household that does not contain a cat, or the bird will probably end up as stdin to /bin/cat anyways.

No, we just let the bird free outside his territory.

As long as the bird is in our house, our rules apply and our children would be a bit terrified would we just let the bird get turned into a cat food in our four walls.

But once the mice or birds are healthy again and can get along on their own, we let them free in the wilderness outside and let the circle of life have its way.

That is also what we try to teach our children, that sometimes animals have to die, to let another animal live, like a mouse feeding a bird of prey (or a cat) - just killing them for fun is evil.

Linguofreak

Reaction score
As long as the bird is in our house, our rules apply and our children would be a bit terrified would we just let the bird get turned into a cat food in our four walls.

I'd still think there would be the risk of the cat figuring out how to get to the bird while your back was turned.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I'd still think there would be the risk of the cat figuring out how to get to the bird while your back was turned.

Yeah - but since we also have guinea pigs, its a tiny risk and some adaption to his creativity. ;)

The worst result is what we call "Assi TV"... our cat is named Azrael, the cute form is Assi...OK, not too cute... but fitting.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wanted to quickly try out some stuff in orbiter after not doing any serious flights for years. Had to realise that flying a spaceship is *not* like riding a bike. Back to the tutorials, I guess... :lol: