Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Over the last 3 months, I have applied for at least 100 jobs and only heard back from 6 and got 1 interview.

That is why I still endure the lack of new projects in my current job. A lot of my "freetime" goes away for making project plans and estimates for bids that are cancelled by the customer then. Would things be different in other industries, fine. But right now, everyone is saving money for the worst case scenario. Sadly this means that some expensive hobbies (studying Business Administration) will keep on costing me money for a few months more. As it looks now, I will be out of liquidity by the end of the year, unless I really start cutting costs.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I, after a few years of searching for a better job and one in aerospace, accepted a job offer....on March 9.

They called me the next day to rescind it.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Then I have a "merrier" story: after graduating from the University in the summer of 2019, I've been searching/applying for a job since. June 2020 I finally got a job offer.
I'm moving to Germany in two weeks.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Then I have a "merrier" story: after graduating with a master's degree in the summer of 2019, I've been searching/applying for a job since. June 2020 I finally got a job offer.
I'm moving to Germany in two weeks.

May I ask, which state of Germany? We have a few other old Orbiter veterans around here.

asbjos

tuanibrO
Addon Developer
Reaction score
May I ask, which state of Germany? We have a few other old Orbiter veterans around here.

Nordrhein-Westfalen.
It's exciting! Don't know much of what to expect, of course, so I'm trying not to expect too much, and instead be pleasantly surprised by the experience. :)

New country, culture, norms, workplace, and (hopefully) friends.

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Heck, I might move there too. Does everyone in Germany use Orbiter? You guys seem cool.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Nordrhein-Westfalen.
It's exciting! Don't know much of what to expect, of course, so I'm trying not to expect too much, and instead be pleasantly surprised by the experience. :)

New country, culture, norms, workplace, and (hopefully) friends.

Oh, well, if its too close to the Rhine you might luckily get some time for cultural adoption this time before experiencing carneval. ;) When I went to Cologne, NRW, for three months, I thought I knew what carneval is, before finding out, how little watching something in TV is like being right in the middle of the mayhem for over a week.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Heck, I might move there too. Does everyone in Germany use Orbiter? You guys seem cool.

Considering how much we like oversophisticated things and steep learning curves, I am really surprised that we have no Orbiter E-Sports league....:cheers:

Quick_Nick

Passed the Turing Test
Donator
Reaction score
I, after a few years of searching for a better job and one in aerospace, accepted a job offer....on March 9.

They called me the next day to rescind it.
That's pretty messed up no matter what.
I would be tempted to name and shame.

On the commercial side, it's almost slightly understandable, but still shouldn't have been such a change in one day.
If on the defense side, that's more than a dick move.

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
That's pretty messed up no matter what.
I would be tempted to name and shame.

On the commercial side, it's almost slightly understandable, but still shouldn't have been such a change in one day.
If on the defense side, that's more than a dick move.

It was commercial. I won't say a name, but I did go into it knowing that this particular organization occasionally lays off new hires, even in non-pandemic times.

Just glad I didn't give my notice, and the company I work for is almost completely unaffected by the pandemic.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Customer: "Half our devices don't work anymore, what's going on?"
Me: "Huh, they're all completely gone. Not reporting on any of the isolated channels they are supposed to report on. I suggest you take it up with your ISP."
Customer: "It's ok, we just learned that the entire Austrian mobile net had an outage".
Me: o_O

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Customer: "Half our devices don't work anymore, what's going on?"
Me: "Huh, they're all completely gone. Not reporting on any of the isolated channels they are supposed to report on. I suggest you take it up with your ISP.
Customer: "It's ok, we just learned that the entire Austrian mobile net had an outage".
Me: o_O

Ow. That hurts.

Still better as having the root password on a large post-it on a whiteboard facing right to the window towards the next building...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ooooooook.... does it still use DC power for the fan or do I need to install a steam boiler?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I hear they are actually powered by a built in hamster wheel, including an enclosed genetically modified hamster to power it. Since the thing still gets ridiculously hot most of the components don't survive longer than 2 years anyways, so the hamster is not a liability. The housing of the card is actually this big because they need to store highly concentrated hamster feed for two years in there, after focus group experiments had shown that a feeding mechanism was impractical because most of the typical users attention span wasn't long enough to remember to feed it regularly...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Ooooooook.... does it still use DC power for the fan or do I need to install a steam boiler?

A separate steam boiler would just be silly. A card with that kind of thermal design power raises the steam to drive its fan with its own waste heat, and contains an integrated boiler. It is, however, the user's responsibility to install an external condenser with an appropriately sized cooling tower (5000 gallons per minute is typical).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A separate steam boiler would just be silly. A card with that kind of thermal design power raises the steam to drive its fan with its own waste heat, and contains an integrated boiler. It is, however, the user's responsibility to install an external condenser with an appropriately sized cooling tower (5000 gallons per minute is typical).

Wouldn't make more sense then to install a small water-tube condenser right next to the turbine for the cards fan, so the vacuum generated by condensing steam into feedwater increases the pressure drop and improves the efficiency of the turbine?

Of course, this still makes it my responsibility to ensure that the condenser coolant and lubrication oil pumps are started in the engine room before I boot the computer...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Wouldn't make more sense then to install a small water-tube condenser right next to the turbine for the cards fan, so the vacuum generated by condensing steam into feedwater increases the pressure drop and improves the efficiency of the turbine?

Of course, this still makes it my responsibility to ensure that the condenser coolant and lubrication oil pumps are started in the engine room before I boot the computer...

That works. You still need the cooling tower, though, otherwise your water bill for cooling water will go way up, and I don't know how the local authorities will feel about dumping exhaust cooling water directly into the sewers at high temperature.

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Soo, Yesterday I made the decision to take a change of direction in my life. Tomorrow I start the process to get myself a C+E (Class 1) driving licence. Which means I may be driving HGV's as a Job in 8 weeks. And it only took a week of research and an agreement with my relations that I could couch serf for free, if i don't get a job immediately. As I will be homeless in November as it stands. This has been driven by the demoralizing process of job searching during a pandemic. Over the last 3 months, I have applied for at least 100 jobs and only heard back from 6 and got 1 interview.
I've done that in the US for almost 2 years now, its absolutely a 'what you make of it' type job.

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
That is my understanding of what the job is like, which is kind of what I'm looking forward to about it. All though the revision for the three theory tests is steep (in the UK atleast).