Humor Random Comments Thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I like the Texas Lasso Docking technique.

full

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Yaahoooo!
I think that was under consideration on Gemini 9A when the Agena got screwed up. :LOL:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
It's always hard to distinguish accents in languages other than your own, but...

...I'd encountered bits of Schwyzerdütsch in my college years: several classmates had grown up in Switzerland, and sometimes the dialects of different regions of the German speaking world were discussed in class. But the classmates that spoke Swiss German were all either Americans that had learned German Standard German first, or Swiss that had emigrated to the US at a young enough age to speak English with no detectable accent, and then taken German as a "foreign" language in high school / college, so they spoke Standard German with about the same accent taught in class.

And then on Youtube today, I came across a video with a Swiss guy speaking Swiss Standard German, and... wow. It's not that the accent was impenetrable: I could understand every word, but it was so different that my conscious mind took a few seconds to realize that my Wernicke's area was successfully parsing it. One part of my brain was delivering meaning before another part flipped the "I know this language" bit on, and there was something in there that kept trying to flip that bit back off. Your brain is like a B-36: a collection of parts flying in loose formation, and when the illusion that it isn't is broken, the experience is quite surreal.

It's kind of a different twist on an experience I had in high school: We were watching a movie in German class, and a character, out of the blue, started speaking in English. My mind took absolutely no notice for about the first sentence: I'd understood what was being said in German, I still understood what was being said, nothing to see here. Then my brain did a huge double-take.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Gas milage makes for some fun dimensional analysis anyways. It's an inverse area (miles/gallon -> length/length^3), so "traditionally" the simplest way to state it would be in square kilodiopters.
Part of me wants to put this into a homework assignment for my engineering students, but another part of me doesn't want to die by being lynched by a mob.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I came across a video with a Swiss guy speaking Swiss Standard German
There is no such thing as spoken Swiss Standard German. It only exists in written form, and is basically regular high german with a few spelling differences (most notably we write ss instead of that redundant contraption the germans use to denote the same thing that makes typing a horrible experience). It has no more or less in common with swiss german than... well... actual german.
In other words, what you heared was just a Swiss speaking German with an accent :LOL: If you'd listen to something like a swiss news anchor instead, what you hear is really just high german, maybe with the suggestion of an accent, but then that's hardly any different from other german news anchors that have a background in an "unfortunate" dialect. Never mind our politicians though, some of them are famous for the most horrible accents (at least the ones with german mother tongue. The italian and the french speakers obviously sound quite different).

For what it's worth, most Germans that hear german Swiss speaking german think that this must be the infamous swiss german they've heard stories about...

Last edited:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
In other words, what you heared was just a Swiss speaking German with an accent :LOL:

Whatever you want to call it, it seemed to be what the Swiss learn in school for the purpose of communicating with the rest of the German speaking world. (Or maybe what you learn in school period. Is Schwyzerdütsch taught formally, with Standard German on the side as a foreign language, or is Standard German taught as "correct" speech?).

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Whatever you want to call it, it seemed to be what the Swiss learn in school for the purpose of communicating with the rest of the German speaking world.
Yes. We call it german! Trouble is, it has no official pronounciation guidelines... :sneaky:
Or maybe what you learn in school period. Is Schwyzerdütsch taught formally, with Standard German on the side as a foreign language, or is Standard German taught as "correct" speech?
It is indeed the school language, not only written but also spoken, though it isn't that long that school is in german since first grade. Back in my days school was still in swiss german. But nowadays, english already starts in third grade and french... not sure when that starts now. Used to be french in 6th and english in 8th, with italian voluntary from 6th (as well as latin and greek voluntary from 8th, I think...?) but I'm not sure how it is nowadays. (also, we sometimes joke that turkish and albanian start in Kindergarten, since it can at rare times happen that kids with german mother tongue are a minority in the class).

In any case, we don't really learn to speak german. The one thing nobody gives a damn about is proper pronounciation, only grammar and orthography (quite contrary to french, where pronounciation has much more weight... I guess they just assume the kids pick up pronounciation from the teacher and the media...)

Despite that, noone would ever dare teach german as "the correct speech". We (thankfully) don't have much political fuss about language, but I don't think a teacher who is caught suggesting that it would be proper for the kids to speak German at home and that the local dialect somehow "wasn't correct speech" would have their job for very long ?

Last edited:

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Those times when you completely fail to realise the complexity in a coding problem in advance...
I just wanted to solve a layout problem that I figured should be manageable, broke my brain while actually thinking about it, went googling and found out that apparently it's called a "multiway partition problem" and there's scientific papers being written about it... ?‍♂️ Well, at least there seem to be relatively simple approximations that should be good enough for the use case.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Those times when you completely fail to realise the complexity in a coding problem in advance...
I just wanted to solve a layout problem that I figured should be manageable, broke my brain while actually thinking about it, went googling and found out that apparently it's called a "multiway partition problem" and there's scientific papers being written about it... ?‍♂️ Well, at least there seem to be relatively simple approximations that should be good enough for the use case.

You know, there is always the option to use a brute force approach...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You know, there is always the option to use a brute force approach...

Not really feasible for this problem if you need the result for a UI-popup that is created on mouseover. Better to take something only roughly approximate that doesn't measure its runtime in seconds...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I think I've figured out how to build a half-kilometer runway in KSP as a vessel.

However, it's not very useful sitting on top of the stock runway, and the question of how to get it into orbit for delivery to, e.g, Duna for a surface base, or Eve for a high-atmospheric base remains unsolved.

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
I think I've figured out how to build a half-kilometer runway in KSP as a vessel.

However, it's not very useful sitting on top of the stock runway, and the question of how to get it into orbit for delivery to, e.g, Duna for a surface base, or Eve for a high-atmospheric base remains unsolved.
You're going to need a LOT of struts.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The problem with presenting a working proof of concept to your partners is that invariably, somebody will immediately start selling it to their customers... ? (I miss the old suicide emoji in moments like this...)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The problem with presenting a working proof of concept to your partners is that invariably, somebody will immediately start selling it to their customers... ? (I miss the old suicide emoji in moments like this...)

Yeah, and suddenly its a product, not a buggy prototype. ?

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I don't. That one was really, really disturbing (in fact, I believe it actually disappeared before the forum switch). The lit fart emoji, on the other hand...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yeah, and suddenly its a product, not a buggy prototype.
Just the buggyness of the prototype is manageable most of the time, but the lack of proper integration into the wider ecosystem as well as deployment and monitoring infrastructure is what really starts eating into your time...