Humor Random Comments Thread

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
So, last night the computer freezes, and I immediately realize that I didn't save my work in blender... So I left the computer on during the night hoping it could somehow recover, but in the morning it was still the same. Reboot, check the temp folder and luckily blender did a back up probably inside 1 minute of the freeze, so I didn't loose anything. Also, some of the dead keys somehow came back to life after this... ok, I'll take it. :hailprobe:

Clearly that used up all my luck for today, as from here on it's all down hill, because today was the day I was going to buy a new computer. Go to a store maybe 90 minutes away, as it was the closest one with the computer I wanted in stock (yes, I could have ordered it, but I wanted to check out the material before buying it). No issues with the purchase, except the guy didn't even let me open the box inside the store due to "store policy". After some not so smart choices of transportation on the way back, I finally get home 3+ hours after I had left. Change clothes, eat something and it's time to open the box and play with the new toy. :LOL:
Unpack everything, all clean and undamaged, clear a space on the desk and plug everything, hit the power button and.... nothing. Check and recheck the cables and all seems ok. Check the manual to see if there is some extra procedure on a new computer and it simply says "plug in, power light comes on, hit power button"... except I didn't even had the power light on. Maybe it needs to charge the battery a bit so I waited, but 10 minutes later still nothing... ****, I have to return to the store... 3 hour round trip...
frustration-frustrated.gif

Pack the defunct hardware back in the box, and off I go back to the store. Get there, and because I bought the thing, I now have to go to customer support. 15-minute wait and I finally get to the front of the cue. The lady there unpacks the computer, plugs it in and... nothing. She tries another power outlet but the result is the same, so she says: Well, go to my colleges in sales and ask them for a new one to replace this, and them come back. Back to the front of the store, explain my situation and the guy there goes to the warehouse to get the new computer. While I'm waiting, the guy who a few hours earlier toll me I couldn't open the box shows up, sees me and does a double take: wow, you're back? ?
Eventually the new guy returns, carrying an unsealed box (FYI, the original box was sealed) which I immediately point out, this bozo shrugs it off as "it's not a problem" and asks me how will you pay, cash or card? Somehow without loosing my calm I explain again the situation and we both go back to customer support with the "new" computer.

I didn't need to ask to see the new computer in action as the lady immediately opens up the box and starts plugging the cables. Clearly the computer had been (at least) unpacked before, as the cables weren't wrapped and the bag with the computer was all messed up. Finally she hits the power button and..... nothing. ?:ROFLMAO:?:ROFLMAO:?:ROFLMAO: Let's try another power outlet - she says, but the result was the same. After a few seconds so they could both pull their jaws back up from the floor into their respective masks (all though this I laughed so much, I almost fell to the ground), they ordered a new one from the main warehouse, which should arrive sometime next week. So I returned home, empty handed, tired and hungry.

So this was my Saturday.
fuUord.gif

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So, last night the computer freezes, and I immediately realize that I didn't save my work in blender... So I left the computer on during the night hoping it could somehow recover, but in the morning it was still the same. Reboot, check the temp folder and luckily blender did a back up probably inside 1 minute of the freeze, so I didn't loose anything. Also, some of the dead keys .........

Just one chance to work with professionals. Even if it is only for 5 minutes. :oops:

What are they doing with their computers there? Drench them in desinfection?

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Just one chance to work with professionals. Even if it is only for 5 minutes. :oops:

Maybe... JPL wanted to cook the first Ranger probes to avoid contaminating the Moon, but stopped when it fried the probe electronics.

MaxBuzz

Reaction score
I watched the TV series "Scrubs" and the series "Friends" (I don’t remember that "friends" caused me any emotions)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I watched the TV series "Scrubs" and the series "Friends" (I don’t remember that "friends" caused me any emotions)

I started watching the Netflix version of Cowboy Bebop. I can really agree to the criticism... the only really bad thing is, that it isn't the original anime series. If it wouldn't exist, it would be more fun to watch.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I started watching the Netflix version of Cowboy Bebop. I can really agree to the criticism... the only really bad thing is, that it isn't the original anime series. If it wouldn't exist, it would be more fun to watch.
Yeah, I found it well enough, but considering the masterpiece that is the original is right next to it, it's... pointless.
Also, why is spike so gloomy? If there's one thing exceptionally noticeable about spikes character, then it's his almost constant smile of bewildered amusement at the world around him. I just couldn't warm up to brooding spike...
But hey, on a positive note, we have the original on Netflix thanks to them picking it up to make the life action show... I'm expecting the same result for their life-action Avatar remake, really.

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
Today I got the text message annoncing the arrival of my computer, version 3. This time the LED lit up when the power cable was plugged in, and the thing booted!!!! ?
Early runs show Orbiter with triple-digit FPS!!! :hailprobe: Ahead are weeks of setup and tweeking and getting used to things, but productivity should improve!

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Early runs show Orbiter with triple-digit FPS!!!
Good to hear. The first year of NASSP dev I did was on my old dual core Xeon box...with the emulator and systems I couldn't go above about 10x without dropping below 20 fps. Short timesteps are good timesteps. ?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Not sure which is going to be the biggest inquiry, how the video got off the ship, or why the F35 didn't?

I am sure, the former one will be worse....

But also the official explanation sounds weird. Engine cover left in place should have been noticed with the usual preflight checks and the deck crew did not appear too alert before the plane failed to gain speed.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
We should find out eventually, unless its national security of course.

Wonder where the best place to eject is on a ski-jump? Before it goes over the edge I guess.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
We should find out eventually, unless its national security of course.

Wonder where the best place to eject is on a ski-jump? Before it goes over the edge I guess.

I would say, any place to eject above the bow of a carrier is a bad one.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Uhm... if the US is that concerned about reverse engineering, how comes they even consider selling to Switzerland? You can't sell anything to switzerland without "us" taking it appart and analysing it to the last nut and bolt, and potentially selling it back to you with the kinks ironed out...
Ya'll aren't going to ship one to the Russians.

Right? ?

Also, jokes aside, part of the offer was the local final assembly of 2-3 examples.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Knowing our arms industry, I think that'll entirely depend on how much they are willing to pay... ?‍♂️

OK, luckily I know that our arms industry at least has some crooked sense of honor there. We will sell our products to anyone who can afford them. But we won't sell the products of others, since we can't provide expensive after sales support for those... Unless its from Switzerland*.

So, WE might be selling Swiss-built F-35 kits to Russians....

dman

Reaction score

Had to buy a new PC 2 weeks ago - came home and found pc DOA There was a power failure and resulting surge fried it ..........

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Had to buy a new PC 2 weeks ago - came home and found pc DOA There was a power failure and resulting surge fried it ..........

I can never repeat myself often enough there: paying the additional money for an extension cord with real surge protection is no comparison to paying for a new computer power supply....

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Yay, my autistic kid finally managed to drop his pants and his diapers and pee all by himself.
The only thing he forgot was that he was supposed to go to the bathroom... ?‍♂️