Humor Random Comments Thread

steph

Reaction score
Situation is pink on the Atlantic coast. If there is a silver lining, it's jusr that it's mostly just the coast.. So far so good, though. The fire yesterday probably spooked everyone into not having barbecues etc, and it's so hot that people are either inside or at the beach

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1658070140537.jpg
    FB_IMG_1658070140537.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 4

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Tomorrow's forecast, likely many historical temperature records will fall in the West. ?

40°C = 104°F

220717.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Luckily, our German prediction for Tuesday looks dire, but not so dire that we have to expect a new record temperature.

Frilock

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Also link to AI thing:

https://www.craiyon.com/

Also fair warning, most things are just distorted versions of whatever you type, but every once in a while you get pure gold. I'm also convinced this is why Skynet wants to kill us.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Welcome to literally every summer in Dallas.

We tend to measure a hot summer not by the absolute temperature reached, but by the number of consecutive days over 100°F.

Yeah, but don't mistake your climate zones with ours.... especially since half of Europe is further north than the US-Canada border. For us, temperatures beyond 40°C is extreme, especially in regions with wind constantly blowing from the ocean.

K%C3%B6ppen-Geiger_Climate_Classification_Map.png

Linguofreak

Reaction score
Yeah, but don't mistake your climate zones with ours....

I've lived in Europe, and indeed, in the parts of North America with more reasonable climates, so I'm well aware (though also keep in mind that equivalent latitudes here tend to be cooler).

One never really gets used to the heat in Dallas in a physical comfort sense, but 40°C-ish temperatures definitely do get a "film at 11:00" feel to them mentally, and when other parts of the world start panicking over record setting extreme temps that are "film at 11" items for you, it generates a certain amount of amusement.

Don't look at me like that. Everybody (including us) starts giggling when Dallas gets shut down by an inch of snow...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
The Great Plague of 2019 finally visited our house this past week. We all seem to have been hit with a relatively minor strain, but since we all have various risk factors, our various doctors all prescribed Paxlovid. And while it's better than the possibility that the disease might take a nastier turn, its side effect list is basically a list of intensifications of all of the low-impact, high annoyance parts of the COVID symptom list, particularly, taste disruptions and, errr... a phase transition in the contents of the large intestine.

About half an hour after every dose I get this lingering off-taste in my mouth that lasts for hours. It's something I've encountered on occasion before in rare, random jugs of milk (that my father, born and raised on a dairy farm, said had not gone sour), but here it shows up when I'm not eating/drinking anything, and any dairy I consume causes it to intensify.

The less that is said of the "phase transition", the better.

All in all, we appear to be surviving quite well, but the experience is not recommended.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The Great Plague of 2019 finally visited our house this past week. We all seem to have been hit with a relatively minor strain, but since we all have various risk factors, our various doctors all prescribed Paxlovid. And while it's better than the possibility that the disease might take a nastier turn, its side effect list is basically a list of intensifications of all of the low-impact, high annoyance parts of the COVID symptom list, particularly, taste disruptions and, errr... a phase transition in the contents of the large intestine.

We have lots of doses of Paxlovid in Germany (which is produced here), that the doctors aren't using, because they don't know the doses exist. Nobody thought its important to tell them.

But we are in the hands of either huge idiots or really evil people right now. One guy of the expert committee recently commented, that because 97% of all tested students in Germany have antibodies against COVID-19, schools can't have been a driving force in this pandemic... Thats one of those fist to face moments for me, that are really hard to resist. He is also one of those guys, who think that people should get infected now, so they are not getting infected in the winter.... of course, that still means infection and illness and possible injury or death.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
About half an hour after every dose I get this lingering off-taste in my mouth that lasts for hours.
I'd take some of that right now... I had to see the dentist this morning, still trying to get that taste out of my mouth...

steph

Reaction score
Quite a few people with Paxlovid showing up with side effects. ( I haven't looked at the current rules, I don't know if isolation is required, but the general rule of the last two years applies. They will absolutely go vacationing while positive, then only show up at clinics, ER etc if they get nasty symptoms)

Then again, the effects are so varied, it's more like 'stop taking it and see if it goes away. If not, contact a dermathologist/gastrologist/whatever cuz it's probably not the Paxlovid'. I got it in spring, of course (after three doses, last in December), didn't use Paxlovid. Although, surprisingly, a colleague at the clinic did catch it again in June after having had it in Feb.

As far as I can say, I'm no medic, despite the wonderful privilege of witnessing most of the crap in the medical system, but it seems it's like 2 weeks ahead of my personal expectations. Like, I thought it would be surging by late July, it was already peaking like crazy in the week before the 14th. Probably a combination of new strain and higher viral load due to a basically full tourist season and lifting of restrictions

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
It seems that President Joe Biden got infected and takes Paxlovid...

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Jira: The perplexing thing that constantly makes you wonder whether you're looking at a bug, or whether some unfathomable genious actually decided that the UI is better this way.