Humor Random Comments Thread

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I learned 3 new words from that. That's honestly not a very common thing to happen on one day...
Though the german translation would suggest that "importunity" is misapplied in this context. I guess I'd need to see a lot more usages of it to develop a feeling for its actual meaning. Big fat chance of that happening...
I do love how "to propound" is essentially a literal translation of the german word "Vorschlagen" (when considering that "pounding something" is synonymous with beating it). And "To vamoose" might be the phonetically most endearing word I've heard since "Shenanigans". At least if it's pronounced the way I'd expect it to be. For which in english there's obviously no guarantee. For all I know it could be pronounced like famous. Or poop. No telling...

It also strikes me as interesting that whoever drew that picture seemed to know the most common way spears were held (both palms in the same direction). You don't see that depicted often nowadays. A drawing depicting cavemen fighting a dinosaur is a really unexpected place to find historical details...

Linguofreak

Reaction score
I learned 3 new words from that. That's honestly not a very common thing to happen on one day...
Though the german translation would suggest that "importunity" is misapplied in this context. I guess I'd need to see a lot more usages of it to develop a feeling for its actual meaning. Big fat chance of that happening...

It is misapplied, though I had to double-check because it's rare enough that I don't have a great feel for its actual meaning.

I do love how "to propound" is essentially a literal translation of the german word "Vorschlagen" (when considering that "pounding something" is synonymous with beating it).

Actually not. English doesn't tend to mix Latin prefixes with native roots (with a few notable exceptions like "redo"), and "pound" with the meaning "schlagen" is a native Germanic root. It doesn't seem to have survived in other Germanic languages as a verb (a couple Low West Germanic languages have a related noun meaning "debris/fragments"), or in any High West Germanic languages at all (if it existed, the Standard German cognate would be something like *pfunen).

The "pound" in propound is actually Latin "ponere", and the German cognate is "proponieren". While "propound" is not nearly as badly used here as "importunity", of the words used in that comic, it's probably the second-worst fit. I've usually heard it used in the context of setting forth an opinion or ideology. Its meaning-space technically covers the usage seen here, but it sounds very weird.

On a bit of a tangent: I find it highly amusing that German treats the Latin infinitive ending in borrowed verbs as part of the root, resulting in two infinitive endings on the infinitive: "-ieren".

And "To vamoose" might be the phonetically most endearing word I've heard since "Shenanigans". At least if it's pronounced the way I'd expect it to be. For which in english there's obviously no guarantee. For all I know it could be pronounced like famous. Or poop. No telling...

The pronunciation is /væmus/, it's a corruption of Spanish "vamos/vamonos". It's quite amusing here because all the other words are high-register variants of what would more typically be used, whereas vamoose is very informal; it sounds just as silly in this context as "GTFO" (as an unexpanded acronym) would.

It also strikes me as interesting that whoever drew that picture seemed to know the most common way spears were held (both palms in the same direction). You don't see that depicted often nowadays. A drawing depicting cavemen fighting a dinosaur is a really unexpected place to find historical details...

I'm going to estimate that the picture is at least a century older than the speech bubbles.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The pronunciation is /væmus/, it's a corruption of Spanish "vamos/vamonos".
So the stress is on the first syllable? Ach, pitty, it would sound way cuter with the stress on the "moose"...
Actually not.
Yeah, I didn't think it was really. But it's kinda funny that it works as one...
I'm going to estimate that the picture is at least a century older than the speech bubbles.
I had assumed that it was an older image by default, but that old? Well, I guess it might explain why the artist might have known more about how to hold a spear and less about dinosaurs...

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Is there another way to hold a spear? o_O

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
ancient man could meet an animal much cooler than a dinosaur
For example Dire wolf Smilodon Megatherium

Smilodon is wrong. Humans and Smilodon did in reality not share the same habitat, humans arrived much later in america, after the extinction of the Smilodon. Same for terror birds, though there is a possible overlap in Africa.

But we had huge elephants in Europe, that had been even larger than mammoths. And we hunted them. And butchered them professionally, including evidence of job training and specialization.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Is there another way to hold a spear?
In popular media, I see them most frenquently held with rear palm facing inwards, front palm outwards. It's a grip that was used sometimes, most frequently in certain situations in single combat as far as I can tell, and it does feel somewhat more natural and intuitive at first. Until you have to hold the bloody thing at or over your head and thrust from the top, then it just falls apart horribly.

Kyle_E

Begining Double Bassist
Reaction score
So the stress is on the first syllable? Ach, pitty, it would sound way cuter with the stress on the "moose"...
I can't speak for other parts of the country but I have always heard it pronounced with the stress on the last syllable.

Arvil

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It’s pronounced like ‘vah Moose’ with the accent on the moose, at least in my neck of the woods.

The part that actually caught my eye was the ‘Oh crap! It’s a Thesaurus!’

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
In popular media, I see them most frenquently held with rear palm facing inwards, front palm outwards. It's a grip that was used sometimes, most frequently in certain situations in single combat as far as I can tell, and it does feel somewhat more natural and intuitive at first. Until you have to hold the bloody thing at or over your head and thrust from the top, then it just falls apart horribly.

Thats what I mean: If you just have to hold it, things might look different, but if you have to fight with it, youll stick to the hand placement that you need most of the time anyway. Also, I think the "amateur" placement is inferior, if you have to keep the spear in your hands while stopping an enemy/prey with it. It will simply push it out of your hand.

steph

Reaction score
As they say... You"re born due to broken rubber, you die due to broken rubber'😂 . Could have been true, had it happened earlier, on the expressway. Annoying part is that this one had several pressure losses before this (including one right after being installed) but the garage was like 'nah, all is fine, stuff like this happens. I think a change might be in order, I know someone who experienced brake failure after having his car serviced there . Oh well, at least I changed a tire for the first time in my life 😂
Happened really close to my place, like 200m. Just slowly driving on it until home was quite tempting
IMG_20230221_190442.jpg

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I would really look for a better mechanic there. :D

Pressure loss right after being installed is a no-go. You don't even look for the hole then. You take the tire carefully off the car and throw it into the bin.... and install a new one.

I once arrived when the new apprentice at the local village workshop was finishing work on my cars engine and was about to close the hood. Took me only a fraction of a second to notice, that three ignition cables had been in the wrong order and the forth one wasn't even properly plugged in. Luckily, I wouldn't even have made it out of the workshop that way. :D

Evil_Onyx

Reaction score
I once took a traction unit in to the vehicle maintenance unit(VMU) at work with two lights out. He changed the bulbs, no luck. He changed the fuse, no change, he then took a screwdriver to the junction box, all the lights stopped working. It got fixed the next day by the senior mechanic, the apprentice learned lots that day. The problem was that a wire had worked loose from its connection, the apprentice was looking at the wrong end of the wire...
Last week I found the same guy under a trailer trying to work out where a fault was in 100m of wiring, most of which is not easily accessible.
I tend to be forgiving towords our mechanics, but always check their work though.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I once took a traction unit in to the vehicle maintenance unit(VMU) at work with two lights out. He changed the bulbs, no luck. He changed the fuse, no change, he then took a screwdriver to the junction box, all the lights stopped working. It got fixed the next day by the senior mechanic, the apprentice learned lots that day. The problem was that a wire had worked loose from its connection, the apprentice was looking at the wrong end of the wire...
Last week I found the same guy under a trailer trying to work out where a fault was in 100m of wiring, most of which is not easily accessible.
I tend to be forgiving towords our mechanics, but always check their work though.

My car had a similar problem in the past weeks. It reported that a light bulb has failed, which it really had, and required check, and kept on doing so after I fixed the light and it was working again.... After I ran out of good ideas, I left it to the professionals.

The mechanic I showed the car was as confused as I was.

Solution by the senior mechanic: Car required a firmware upgrade. 😒

steph

Reaction score
It sounds dumb, but I was fooling around with the now famous Chat GPT AI and I kept getting it to crash by bragging about how 'it' won't ever experience human things like savouring a beer etc :ROFLMAO: ). Still on the waiting list for the Bing. It's a pity, I was hoping to poke around while it's still unhinged 😂
Buuut, the thing knows how to write code. Asked it to design an app that involved object avoidance via the main camera feed for the Mavic Mini, using the DJI SDK, and it started pouring out lines. It stopped short of giving me the whole code, because ' drones can be dangerous' etc, but anyone who knows to code might have had an idea about how the rest would look anyways. Note that, for the Ryze Tello , it absolutely gave the whole code in python, so it 'knows' the difference between that and a quad that can maybe carry some load and go for miles.

@GLS in the video thread gave me an idea to ask it to make mods for Orbiter. That it can't, as in it can only output text, but it could write code, so I asked it to code the aerodynamic handling for the X-33 , based on similar aircraft . This is what it wrote. Perhaps someone who knows coding might shed some light on the quality of it, my coding experience is limited to Pascal, unfortunately.

// Define the X-33 class
class X33: public VESSEL
{
public:
// Constructor
X33(OBJHANDLE hObj, int flightmodel);

// Destructor
~X33();

// Flight model override function
void clbkSetClassCaps(FILEHANDLE cfg);

// Flight model update function
void clbkPreStep(double simt, double simdt, double mjd);

private:
// Private variables for spacecraft dynamics
double mass;
double fuel;
VECTOR3 CoM;
VECTOR3 CoP;
VECTOR3 thrust_vector;
double thrust_magnitude;
double Isp;
double Cd;
double Cl;
double As;
double Ar;

// Private functions for spacecraft dynamics
void update_dynamics(double simt, double simdt);
void compute_forces_moments();
};

void X33::compute_forces_moments()
{
// Calculate current dynamic pressure
double v = length(vel);
double q = 0.5 * rho * v * v;

// Calculate lift and drag coefficients
double alpha = atan2(vel.z, vel.x);
double Cl = Cl0 + Cl_alpha * alpha;
double Cd = Cd0 + Cd_alpha * alpha + Cd_beta * beta * beta;

// Calculate lift and drag forces
double lift = q * As * Cl;
double drag = q * As * Cd;
VECTOR3 lift_vector = lift * normalize(cross(vel, CoP - CoM));
VECTOR3 drag_vector = drag * normalize(-vel);

// Calculate thrust force
VECTOR3 thrust_vector = thrust_magnitude * normalize(orient * thrust_direction);

// Calculate total force and moment vectors
VECTOR3 force_vector = lift_vector + drag_vector + thrust_vector;
VECTOR3 moment_vector = cross(CoP - CoM, force_vector);

// Set forces and moments on vessel
SetForce(force_vector);
SetMoment(moment_vector);
}

Reactions: GLS

GLS

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
@GLS in the video thread gave me an idea to ask it to make mods for Orbiter. That it can't, as in it can only output text, but it could write code, so I asked it to code the aerodynamic handling for the X-33 , based on similar aircraft . This is what it wrote. Perhaps someone who knows coding might shed some light on the quality of it, my coding experience is limited to Pascal, unfortunately.
Seems OK after a quick look... it's missing the actual numbers, and it used VESSEL instead of VESSEL4, but on the other hand it wrote comments, so that already makes it better than 95% of programmers... :cautious:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Actually, if you read carefully over it, a mandatory callback function for VESSEL2 (or newer) is missing and the function snippets are loose ends that are never called. Also it uses a very weird and likely useless definition of propellant handling and thruster definitions.

The clbk* functions are not called by Orbiter if it is VESSEL.

steph

Reaction score
Seems OK after a quick look... it's missing the actual numbers, and it used VESSEL instead of VESSEL4, but on the other hand it wrote comments, so that already makes it better than 95% of programmers... :cautious:

Yeah, it also comments a lot after the code as well. It keeps saying that it can't know the actual numbers, so it can only make so much, but that would be about it. It's weird , because it says it can't remember previous conversations, but when I started one from a different device etc and asked it to code for the Mavic, it started using the code for the Tello, so obviously it still thought it was the same thing and had to be reminded. Then, after it did write the right code, it wouldn't give me all of it exactly because it realised we're talking about a different , bigger quad :ROFLMAO: (as 'big' as a Mini is, it's stil way more capable than the Tello). Now, I'd ask it for more, but it locked me out for one hour when I tried to put it through a Turing test 😂.It failed one of the questions spectacularly, but in away that wouldn't be too surprising even for a human to fail. But asking it iffy stuff often ends up in getting a 'network error' or getting locked out etc.

edit: @Urwumpe Would be nice to know what the output would look like after that feedback, but it may take a while 😂