Project Roskosmos "тайга" Lunar Lander

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
what about fuel, is there a way to get the tug/soyuz fuel into the Lunar Module?

No, that would require heavy plumbing, pressure equalizers, powerful pumps, docking adapters, and other stuff we can't afford there. :p

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
so the plan of, run to the tug, find its broken whilst you've been playing on the moon has all gone to hell, coz if thats broke then there's no way home at all? perhaps using a super-soyuz that has enough Dv to get back home? you'd only need about 1.1Km/s total if you've got a tug to get you there and do LOI

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
perhaps using a super-soyuz that has enough Dv to get back home?

That project existed and was called the LOK. :p

The best safety option would be to send more tugs in lunar orbit, and maybe a Progress with food and consumables to allow the crew to survive a few month in a "Soyuz-Progress mini-station". During this time, plans could be made and launches could be planned to get the crew back home (probably by sending an unmanned Soyuz and another tug).

But that would cost a lot of money. :hmm:

---------- Post added 05-06-11 at 12:12 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-05-11 at 08:57 PM ----------

Now fully compatible with DX9 Client (thanks Jarmonik !).

---------- Post added 05-07-11 at 12:51 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-06-11 at 12:12 PM ----------

Some bugs fixed, and most importantly, I spent a lot of time to clean the code, rewrite some parts and sort things in a proper way. Which was necessary given the growing complexity of the addon.

---------- Post added at 06:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:51 AM ----------

Added the guidance rails inside the descent stage.

11_05_07_20-06-19_LM-Descent_Stage.jpg

Load/Save parameters seem to be working well for now.

---------- Post added 05-08-11 at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-07-11 at 06:18 PM ----------

Found a redistributable Orlan suit mesh ! Modified the original stance a little bit. Still have to work the textures, but that should be a nice start :)

11_05_08_14-25-32_LM.jpg

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I did it ! I managed to get a string that says "In Shadow" when the ship enters the Moon shadow cone and "Sunlight" in the other case !! Thanks trigonometry ! :bananadance:

Now I have to do the same for the Earth, which should not be too complicated, and use this precious switch in the thermodynamics section of the code ! :hailprobe:

Edit : works for Earth too !

Edit2 : OK, done, now you'll need the heaters when in Earth or Moon shadow, unless you power everything on in the cabin and have the cosmonauts making a dancing contest !

Heaters will also be needed to keep the fuel cell "alive" during the unmanned part of the flight.

Last edited:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
the heating/cooling systems will only respond to the moon's shadow and the earth's shadow. going into the dark side of Martian orbit you wil still recieve heat from the sun

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes... Since it's a lunar lander, I set those shadows for Earth and Moon only. But, if you are really interested, I could code those cones for Mars too, no problem since there is only one parameter to change. I guess I could even make it universal, since it's only a matter of planetary radius. But once again, this lander hasn't enough Dv to land on Mars.

But there will be another problem then : the heat flux from the Sun will have to be redefined, and on Mars it is lower than on Earth (farther away). And concerning the gas giants moons, even with the heaters, you would quickly freeze to death.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
id say leave it for just earth and Luna, maybe Mars as well for when we feel adventurous, imagine landing on Phobos/Demios with this thing!

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Anyway, my personal ultimate goal is a realistic Mars manned landing. So, one day, I'll have to develop the appropriated hardware for that. But until then, I have a lot of steps to accomplish until that, that lunar expedition being one of them. :p

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
But, if you are really interested, I could code those cones for Mars too, no problem since there is only one parameter to change. I guess I could even make it universal, since it's only a matter of planetary radius.
So all the parameters are hardcoded now, and not taken from the API (oapiGetSize for radius) or calculated from the distance from the Sun (heat), right?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Everything is taken from the API except radius, and the shadow cone shape is updated every frame. This is important because the Earth-Sun distance varies all over the year.

Thanks for the hint :p

---------- Post added at 01:13 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:09 PM ----------

The "reentry" effects :

11_05_12_15-02-12_LM3-Debris5.jpg

11_05_12_15-02-50_LM3-Debris5.jpg

Those are well-educated debris that stop emitting particles once on the ground.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
I created a special DLL for such tasks, but didn't update it for a while, the "mayfly.dll", essentially a small DLL that is for nothing else but vessels that exist only for a short time (like the insects it is named after)

Should work under 2010, if not, I'll plan to fix it, it is a pretty useful module and can be extended to essentially anything you like... I added a special object pattern already for simulating orbital smoke screens - just for fun.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Ouch ! Hopefully the nozzle is fine !!

11_05_13_01-53-54_LM.jpg

That's a rough landing, for sure.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wow. This is going to be the most interesting/annoying Orbiter vessel ever, isn't it? :p

Commendable effort on this project. Orbiter really needs more vessels like this. :thumbup:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The manometer needle on the hatch works and is synchronized with the cabin pressure. I'm really happy of that one, and it was much easier to code than expected ! :jiggy:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
Could this join igel's Vostok, NASSP, ACSoft's AMSO and DanSteph's DGIV as the most detailed and widely developed addons of all time. I think so!

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
We could actually have the first beta release before Tuesday, I think.

User's feedback will be very interesting to get to the V1.0