General Question Shadows in the moon, possible with Orbiter ?

Hartmann

Reaction score
It´s possible see shadows in craters and mountains in the terminator line in the moon or other planets using the current graphics engine ?.

the new level textures are very good but are not very realistic because don´t cast shadows in the terrain features.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
it can do it if you use a terrain mesh such as the ones offered with orulex, moon 3d, or OGLA

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:14 PM ----------

p.s. just search on http://www.orbithangar.com

some things ony work with orbiter 2006

Hartmann

Reaction score
well i will try orulex .

for example it´s a real moon image, notice the shadows of the craters.

moon_001102t.jpg

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
you probably have to use orbiter 2006 then cuz i think orulex is a little outdated, though cool. but hey! 2010 is only a few months old, I still use 2006 sometimes because i don't want to reinstall alllllllllll my old addons

I think the 3d moon would be better for what you want because i think orulex doesn't render the 3d surface from so far away as you want. a down side is that when i used it the mesh made it so that the moon is unaffected by the atmospheric effects seen from the earth and it looked like a big silver/black ball from earth.

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Artlav's OGLA client for O2010 has 3-D terrain, as well as all sorts of other good stuff like multiple light sources. Orulex is, as he said himself, outdated.