Shenzhou 7 mission thread

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
A tribute to Shenzhou 7 (edited Orbiter screenie)

Good luck to them, and safe return

Now, just add the names of the crew on the bottom, and it would be almost a mission patch. :)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
The launch was officially announced as total success.

Jarvitä

Reaction score
What a coincidence, I just had the Internationale playing in the background during the launch. Between the launch, the Chinese announcer trying to sound important, the music and the cheering in the background, a truly epic atmosphere. :speakcool:

GregBurch

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video!

One of my prized possessions is a presentation model of Shenzhou V. It was a gift from my best friend in China, who is a petrochemical engineer. He has classmates working on the program, and he managed to get one of them to pinch one of the last examples of a very fine limited edition model that was created to commemorate the first manned mission for me. The model managed to survive the disaster of the windows in my office blowing out in Ike, although the solar panels are kind of bent up ... Unfortunately, my same-scale Apollo CSM/LM model didn't fare so well ...

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
at least its only the solar panels

pete.dakota

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
At least what's only the solar panels?

*EDIT* Oh, you were talking about Greg's post. Thought you had some news on the launch. :p

Moonwalker

Reaction score
Thanks for posting the video. I have to say I'm impressed. Athough they didn't do it very often yet, they do it perfectly almost like old experts. Also, it is great that they show it live meanwhile. Let's hope they will also publish more stuff on the web soon.

Can't wait to see the EVA, and of course good luck and enjoyment for the astronauts :)

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
At least what's only the solar panels?

*EDIT* Oh, you were talking about Greg's post. Thought you had some news on the launch. :p

yes just talking about greg's model

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Thanks for all the news in this thread guys!

I'm buried in issues with my job, have a sick family, and a preschooler to take care of this AM...but I knew I could count on you guys to fill me in on the success (or failure!) of Shenzhou 7 launch.

This thread is probably ahead of most of the news agencies around the world ;)

Edit: Belisarius, thanks for the nice screenshot of the CZ-2F!

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
This thread is probably ahead of most of the news agencies around the world ;)

Edit: Belisarius, thanks for the nice screenshot of the CZ-2F!

You got that right - the Chinese news agency still has no news posted on the mission launch.

And credit for the screenshot goes to you and your colleagues in the Shenzhou team. I have a load more if you'd like to use them for the manual.

-----Posted Added-----

Found a nice vid on YT of the interior

Looks a lot more roomy than the Soyuz, where they're cheek by jowl. Here there's space to stretch out.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Grand stuff, here's hoping them all well.

N.

Missioncmdr

Reaction score
Good to hear the launch went well. I learned of it off Wikipedia first, though. :lol:

Cannot wait to hear how the EVA went hours after it happens! :lol:

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Looks a lot more roomy than the Soyuz, where they're cheek by jowl. Here there's space to stretch out.

The average Chinese is smaller than the average Russian.

I was also surprised by the amount of space. Maybe the Chinese are smaller, but they are sitting in space suits. Are the space suits also smaller? Do they have different sizes of space suits?

One other thing I saw in the video was the weight hanging on a rope on the right side of the screen (at 3 o'clock). You can clearly see that during the entire video there is no weightlessness, so the rocket must still be burning (or this is a fake conspiracy video recorded on earth :p). The astronauts seem to be sitting quite comfortable, being able to wave at the camera, holding a note pad, etc.. So, the engine can't be really powerful, right? Is this recorded during the burn of the last stage?

Eagle

The Amazing Flying Tuna Can
Reaction score
Its entirely possible that the wide angle lens of the camera is making it look like there's more space than there is. But it does look rather roomy.

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I was also surprised by the amount of space. Maybe the Chinese are smaller, but they are sitting in space suits. Are the space suits also smaller? Do they have different sizes of space suits?
The angle and lens is a bit different but it looks comparable to Soyuz:
exp16_launch.jpg

One other thing I saw in the video was the weight hanging on a rope on the right side of the screen (at 3 o'clock). You can clearly see that during the entire video there is no weightlessness, so the rocket must still be burning (or this is a fake conspiracy video recorded on earth :p). The astronauts seem to be sitting quite comfortable, being able to wave at the camera, holding a note pad, etc.. So, the engine can't be really powerful, right? Is this recorded during the burn of the last stage?
They have similar thing on Soyuz (it a toy of some sort IIRC).