Project Soyuz 7k.dll

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
orbiterspaceport.blogspot.com
My friend... I'm still browsing the images. DIAMOND mine! There's stuff from simulators, nice color photos for reference, etc, etc...

For example, is this really Salyut 1 ?
RIAN_16470.jpg

Even if it is a mockup... very impressive for 1971!

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Stand-out EVA, with animated hatch :) :

Gives a better idea how "vast" is the Soyuz inside :p

Had to play a bit with the mesh in Anim&tor, and the BO became "shiny". Will fix.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
looking good! a bit of specular reflection looks nice on a Soyuz!

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
Looks nice and perhaps not completely unaccurate (the thermal blankets are indeed reflective from certain angles). :cheers:

Now... we just need the right astronaut mesh!

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There's that one (Orlan-M), but with the airlock backpack, it doesn't fit the hatch clearance...

Actually, the Yastreb suit used for Soyuz 4-5 would probably be more appropriated (at least for Soyuz 7K-T), it looks more like the default UMmu suit without the backpack.

yastreb.jpg

http://www.astronautix.com/craft/yastreb.htm

Edit : Soyuz 7K-T before docking antenna deployement.

Last edited:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A "CCCP" retexture of the default UMmu suit could look pretty good, if someone has skills in that department ;)

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
I might do something like that, if I have the time... let me look into it.

Regarding the Yastreb suit, I found different pictures:
5093207_1_l.jpg

Yastreb_suit.jpg

This one has a different color scheme.

The info from wikipedia reads:

The backpack containing life support was mounted in a metal box that could be attached to the chest or to the leg to ease access through the small Soyuz hatch. The suit was to be worn only in the Orbital module of the Soyuz spacecraft and needed two people to put it on. The Yastreb suit was only used once, this was during the Soyuz 4 and Soyuz 5 docking and crew exchange. The suit was not worn during launch or reentry. During the mission both cosmonauts experienced problems with the suit.

So there's no backpack but instead a chest pack!

Still think there was an umbilical, or at least some sort of string so that the cosmonauts could move between spacecrafts!

Last edited:

Scruce

Ad astra per aspera
Reaction score
I've got a mesh, give me a moment and I'll post a picture.

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
I tried something with one of the UMMU meshes.... LOL, it looks like some sort of android!

yastrebhack.jpg

It really needs an accurate mesh, at least as good as the spacecraft ones! Otherwise, just use the default one, at least we are used to it.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yes, their life support unit was portable, just like a jerrycan tank. The idea was to get through the Soyuz small EVA hatch :lol:

You could make a box on the cosmonaut chest or in one hand, and link it to the suit with two tubes.

Another difference with the UMmu suit is that the visor is mounted outside the helmet, more like a hatch.

With that, a cloth texture, some patches, and the mandatory "CCCP" marking on the helmet, that would look great I think. :thumbup:

I just finished animating the other forward antenna, that one was quite difficult (3 segments) :

4throck

Enthusiast !
Reaction score
Website
That looks impressive!

Yes, I know that the changes to EVA mesh seem small, but it's one of those things that you "do or do not" ! I could to the hand pack, no problem, but modeling a complex shape like a spacesuit is a little beyond me. I could help with the texturing though, if someone does a mesh ready for that.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
About the UMmu, notice that they add mass to the vessel. I think it's hard to tell exactly what was the mass of each vessel fueled, equipped but without crew, so I think I'm going to adjust it so that the Delta-V is 210 m/s. I guess that it is possible to have the size/mass of the historical cosmonauts, will look to get an idea of the "average".

castorp

Reaction score
Gentlemen!

Bravo to all, and especially now to N_Molson, for the amazing work going on here!!

I'm sorry to have been AWOL all this time—it's been one hell of a trying year in these parts—and I don't even have access to my mesh/modeling sources & tools et al until December, but my thoughts are very much with you guys and I'm eternally grateful for seeing the dedication towards bringing these old birds to life again. I hope in the new year to be able to resume working on the meshes, especially for the ASTP and Salyut-3, and in the meantime will try to be better with checking-in here and offering what support (even if it's only moral) that I can.

Again, many thanks to all, and cheers!
hc
:probe:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Our Soyuz 7k-T with everything stowed :

Done with anims, the most boring & time-consuming part of the work (especially when the mesh isn't yours) ! :jj:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
the ion sensors (aft on the PAO) should also fold down laterally...

I had a doubt about those to be honest :lol:

---------- Post added at 06:06 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:17 AM ----------

Done with those ion sensors ! :banana:

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A couple of things that I'd need to know about the 7k-T :

- What was the nominal air pressure inside the SA ?
- Soyuz 13 case : seems it was a Soyuz 7k-T modified with solar panels and a telescope ?
- How long can last the the SA batteries once separated ?
- Does someone has a map of the Soviet ground tracking stations in the 70's-80's (I'm sure I've seen that somewhere) ?

Other ideas I'm working on :

- Severe limitation of the navigation tools. After all, even MFDs are very unrealistic. I was thinking to display telemetry data on the screen when in range of the ground tracking stations. Only the HUD docking mode would remain, and, when in the "comm shadow zones", the player would have almost no information.

- A way to simulate the few onboard navigation tools, to keep track of the attitude : ion sensors, Earth IR sensor, Sun targeting, horizon tracking (Vzor).

- Some docking autopilot, not sure how to do that but I'll try. Was it the "Kurs" ?

Last edited:

diogom

Reaction score
A couple of things that I'd need to know about the 7k-T :

- What was the nominal air pressure inside the SA ?
- Soyuz 13 case : seems it was a Soyuz 7k-T modified with solar panels and a telescope ?
- How long can last the the SA batteries once separated ?
- Does someone has a map of the Soviet ground tracking stations in the 70's-80's (I'm sure I've seen that somewhere) ?

Other ideas I'm working on :

- Severe limitation of the navigation tools. After all, even MFDs are very unrealistic. I was thinking to display telemetry data on the screen when in range of the ground tracking stations. Only the HUD docking mode would remain, and, when in the "comm shadow zones", the player would have almost no information.

- A way to simulate the few onboard navigation tools, to keep track of the attitude : ion sensors, Earth IR sensor, Sun targeting, horizon tracking (Vzor).

- Some docking autopilot, not sure how to do that but I'll try. Was it the "Kurs" ?

The ideas: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Only ways I can help: it was Igla, not Kurs. And 13 had solar panels, yes. For the BO, there's a mesh with Orion. Look for the Soyuz 7k-T-AF in the configs.
I'll try to find more on the other questions.

Edit: Wikipedia says "The life support system provides a nitrogen/oxygen atmosphere at sea level partial pressures. The atmosphere is regenerated through KO2 cylinders, which absorb most of the CO2 and water produced by the crew and regenerates the oxygen, and LiOH cylinders which absorb leftover CO2." Though, it is wikipedia...

Edit2: Also found this: "The Soyuz used an 80-percent nitrogen 20-percent oxygen environment at a pressure of one full atmosphere (14.7 psi)" @ http://www.californiasciencecenter....e/HumansInSpace/Apollo-Soyuz/Apollo-Soyuz.php

Edit3: If it helps too, the temperature is kept at 18-20ºC, humidity 40% (http://suzymchale.com/ruspace/soymod.html) Unfortunately, although it mentions it, doesn't say the battery lenght of the SA

Last edited: