OHM Soyuz v1.0

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Also that is a Orbiter beta installation, is the add-on already tested for it?

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
No - I did not even try it in beta.

The code is hard enough as it is - after all, the underlying library is in alpha phase, not even in beta. So I needed a stable version of Orbiter to make the code work at the level of stability that is acceptable for public release. Once the new Orbiter goes final, it should not be hard to update to it if it turn out a bit not-fully-backwards-compatibe. But not before that, not the moving target :).

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
No - I did not even try it in beta.

The code is hard enough as it is - after all, the underlying library is in alpha phase, not even in beta. So I needed a stable version of Orbiter to make the code work at the level of stability that is acceptable for public release. Once the new Orbiter goes final, it should not be hard to update to it if it turn out a bit not-fully-backwards-compatibe. But not before that, not the moving target :).

I fear the problem is also that some aspects of the surface bases changed in Orbiter with the new beta, which is causing the problems. The parse errors in Baikonur suggest that.

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Could be, yes... Some "parsing errors" in Spaceports are expected - they come from "comment lines", that parser considers "syntax errors", reports, but happily ignores. Unfortunately, complex conditional logic of the bases absolutely requires comments for human readability :).

Those are not critical - but any base changes upon that can be fatal. The best way to verify may be to change the universe in the scenario file to default Orbiter universe and launch the scenario without dependency on Spaceports. But I don't hold high hopes this addon "just working" without any modifications in the Orbiter beta :).

romanasul

Reaction score
I have a problem with the Soyuz 2.1a Polar launch scenario, a hard pitch down maneuver occurs followed by an engine fire and disintegration. I even tried typing reliability 100 under each block but it doesn't change the outcome.

---------- Post added at 03:01 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:55 AM ----------

I think I found the problem, only one of the payloads is defined, If I define the second one there is no problem.

---------- Post added at 10:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:01 AM ----------

Is there a possibility of bringing back the Launch computer?

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Thanks, roomansul! I think there was a miss in the scenario, not sure at this point which one in particular - either the second satellite definition is missed in Fregat, or it was not removed from scenario.

Autopilot of the 2-1a is a bit too sensitive, and on some machines (not on mine) it can cause excessive occilations (resulting in disintegration even of a fully reliable vehicle). Most likely adding second satellite made the rocket heavier just enough to let it steady out. Though polar orbit requires more energy - can it handle the extra weight to the sufficiently high orbit?

I'll think of another version of launch computer... the previous one did not work so well, not accurate enough :-( Well, to be honest, the accuracy of the orbit insertion by the real Soyuz prior to the digital version 2 was plus or minus a couple of dozens of kilometers of apogee, so my autopilot was probably not so bad :)

Morningstar

Reaction score
Brilliant! Great to see an internal view with windows and some realism in the displays. Chuffed to bits. Many thanks!

isda

Reaction score
Thanks Thorton n Igel

Another milestone for Soyuz spacecraft in orbiter simulator. Nice and clean system...:cheers:. Future improvement, Soyuz Virtual cockpit with neptune panel 360 :thumbup:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I've just come back to the forum for a small idea: would it be possible to add the Soyuz-2.1b version of the rocket to the add-on? I'm thinking of flying the Progress (maybe even Soyuz flights) to my polar orbit space station and it looks like the performance required might just be a bit too high for the current version. Replacing the Block I with the new version should just be enough to get the extra tonne to orbit.

Thanks! :tiphat:

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Yes, 2.1b is actually somewhere in the plans for the future versions, it should not be a lot of work.

Even in the current version, it is actually possible to clone and "beef up" the copy of Block I to "behave" like one of 2.1b (though meshes won't change of course, so it'll be a cheat) - all mass and thrust parameters are stored in config files, not embedded in the code.

mike-c

Reaction score
Nightline to ISS

After setting up recent Soyuz-TMA20M flight from launch date and TLE for ISS
with:
and
I got a scenario with a tight Station pass just prelaunch [looks almost like in tsenki.tv last night :) ].
Even better, the orbit-insertion was very precise - LOW RInc!

Past a little delayed rendezvous (dv5 was not right somehow), I tried approach from stationkeeping once with konv. docking-MFD/HUD and once with
Neptun-panel on. Soyuz-style is little harder, but docking went smooth - the experience I waited for.

the night is getting old, :hailprobe: no more words needed.

APPENDIX
Code:
TMA_20M  = TMA, 57465.893542,202,240,51.67,   B1-S,LaunchSeq1, Soyuz,FltSeq3st,EndSeq3st,PitchSoyuz, Soyuz,mAdSoyuz,FltSeq,StartSeqSZ,EndSeq,Pitch,1
added in:
$(orbiter-root)\Config\Vessels\Soyuz\Mission\SoyuzMission.cfg

Attachments

• TMA-20M.scn
    10.4 KB · Views: 28
  • TMA-20M.jpg
    TMA-20M.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 63
  • TMA-20M.o1.jpg
    TMA-20M.o1.jpg
    274.9 KB · Views: 55
  • TMA-20M.dv5.scn
    9.2 KB · Views: 16
  • TMA-20M.stkp.scn
    9 KB · Views: 13
  • TMA-20M.appr1.jpg
    TMA-20M.appr1.jpg
    242.5 KB · Views: 84

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Great news, thanks!

The first image seems bit too dark... Do you have "Local light sources" enabled in the "Visual effects"? If they are ON, the towers will shed some light for the rocket in the night launch.

mike-c

Reaction score
Great news, thanks!

The first image seems bit too dark... Do you have "Local light sources" enabled in the "Visual effects"? If they are ON, the towers will shed some light for the rocket in the night launch.

Well I may have missed that point(light source) beeing focussed on how to fly.
(wayoff from my computer now, check that later)
According to the 6 hour fast rendezvous, I did a trial to do just the same and saved .scn at every waypoint(burn).
If you want me to post the whole track, tell (and where to post).

P.S. This was the 2nd flight (Progress MS-1 also) and 3rd launch with soyuz v1.0,
always observing precise orbit insertion (RInc 0.13-0.14°).:thumbup:

Last edited:

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
I have a problem with adding custom fairings to the rocket: I was trying to move the existing Progress spacecraft and its related fairing in the Soyuz-FG/U add-on to this new version. It works....except that both parts of the fairing separates to the "left" when they should go "up" and "down" respectively. Does someone know how can I fix this? :tiphat:

The relevant customized files are attached for your reference:

Attachments

• Soyuz v1.0_Progress.zip
    3.4 KB · Views: 21

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Unfortunately, I'll be out on weekend, so I'll only be able o look at the files some time next week. Hope you can afford to wait a little...

predattak

Reaction score
Awesome addon(upgrade for me) thx alot for the effort.:thumbup:

For ppl having this error:

>>> ERROR: While initialising solar system Spaceports\Sol:
>>> File not found: .\Config\Spaceports\Sol.cfg
>>> [Orbiter::CreateRenderWindow | .\Orbiter.cpp | 726]

you must download Spaceports v1.1 (link in addon readme pdf)
OR open the scenario with any text editing program like notepad or notepad ++ and modify under BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT the system from Spaceports\Sol to Sol

EX:
Modify this

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
System Spaceports\Sol

to this:

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
System Sol

Save and try again.

My small problem is that i can't find a good landing tutorial for this ship ... damn capsules (i can land any glider spot on but these little basterds.. uh).. i always end up 2-300 km from the landing zone. Can anyone explain to me how to land this thing? Even with autopilot ...i just want to land this thing closer.

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
My small problem is that i can't find a good landing tutorial for this ship ... damn capsules (i can land any glider spot on but these little basterds.. uh).. i always end up 2-300 km from the landing zone. Can anyone explain to me how to land this thing? Even with autopilot ...i just want to land this thing closer.

I don't think the accurate landing can be easily done without autopilot... With ballistic reentry, it should be possible to get better accuracy with some trial and error. That's what I did for demo scenario.

But with controlled reentry... The model allows to provide realistic control inputs, yes - but there is no immediate indication on how these inputs will affect the landing point. While sideways maneuvers are a bit more intuitive, landing longer or shorter is rather murky...

Maybe I'll be able to add some autopilot for guided landing at some point. But any development waits till after my summer vacations...

mike-c

Reaction score
Soyuz/Progress (MS)

Hello Igel,

due to the precise ascends of Soyuz1.0 i use it also for Progress-Missions.
(Are the trajectories done by the rocket itself or the Mission.vessel?)

Would be even nicer to have a Progress based on this technology.
Is it possible to create one with a customized TMA-Flight.cfg using mesh from ISS3.2.Progress-M1?

2nd: are you considering update to MS-version?
Have you at least a source for the new KTDU-80.DPO thrust vectors?

:thumbup: mike-c

igel

Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.pin-plus.ca
Hi mike-c,

Unfortunately, my development through summer is very slow... So I try to not to extend my plans too far at this point.

Adding new vessels through the config files, without the need to recompile the modules is easy... but only to a point. When you start dealing with more complex behaviour, or interactions between, say, animations states and spacecraft capabilities - it is inevitable to write a custom module to code in those relations. And Soyuz module code is especially tricky with many transitions between states, and very dependent on particular meshes - so it won't work with alternative meshes.

Even adding Soyuz MS to this module will require some good work in the config files and the code, and will have to use updated meshes: not only DPO had changed, but also antennas as well... (and no, I don't have new DPO specs yet).

YCT

Reaction score
Hi,

Are you going to update to Orbiter 2016?

Thank You