FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
After the great success of Antares Manned Spacecraft 2.0 (

Soon more infos and images!

Last edited:

Ark

Reaction score
Well, this is freakin cool.

What can you tell us about the launcher? Will it have a proper autopilot or the ability to set launch azimuth in the scenario file?

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well, this is freakin cool.

What can you tell us about the launcher? Will it have a proper autopilot or the ability to set launch azimuth in the scenario file?

AFAIK, the space plane will be launched on the Quasar 220 launcher, of which the current version can be found [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4840"]here[/ame]. It will be upgraded to version 2.0, as the Jarvis and Neptune launchers did, with automated countdown sequence and autopilot. However, since the rocket is based on the multistage2 module, you will need to adjust the launch azimuth manually in the guidance file.

Ark

Reaction score
AFAIK, the space plane will be launched on the Quasar 220 launcher, of which the current version can be found here. It will be upgraded to version 2.0, as the Jarvis and Neptune launchers did, with automated countdown sequence and autopilot. However, since the rocket is based on the multistage2 module, you will need to adjust the launch azimuth manually in the guidance file.

Too bad. I just personally have never liked dealing with multistage2 launchers, even though there aren't that many alternatives out there. Perhaps I'm just too lazy to learn how to configure guidance files for every mission. :lol:

Still, though, it's a remarkably detailed spaceplane. The texture work looks very nice, and I can clearly tell a lot of effort went into that VC. The entire ship closely resembles the Shuttle, yet has unique stylistic and functionality characteristics.

You guys over at the Orbiter Italian Forum have consistently produced some very high-quality addons that I enjoy using regularly. You all have my thanks, and I look forward to seeing what I can do with the Eridanus. :thumbup:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Too bad. I just personally have never liked dealing with multistage2 launchers, even though there aren't that many alternatives out there. Perhaps I'm just too lazy to learn how to configure guidance files for every mission. :lol:

the multistage-based launcher is my fault; in future, this limitation will be exceeded (hopefully).

Ark

Reaction score
the multistage-based launcher is my fault; in future, this limitation will be exceeded (hopefully).

It's nobody's "fault". Multistage is popular because, like spacecraft3, it allows people to make addons without having a degree in C++ programming. Not everyone has the time, education, and experience to make something like Energia or Shuttle Fleet.

You guys make some great stuff, and I'm not going to grill you for not having features that only a handful of addons out of the entire library have. :tiphat:

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
We use Multistage 2 because it's very versatile, and it offers possibility to rapidly change payolad and fairings, as soon as autopilot variations.. its limit is that it has no virtual cockpit!

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
eridan10.png

This is the Space Plane Eridanus patch!

Axel

Drive Technician
Reaction score
The shuttle looks good, but i would not use so a big stack.
It makes it only complex and expensive, what we learned from the STS and a shuttle not has to be.
With a single external tank and stronger engines at the shuttle you could fly it into a LEO, like the Starclipper (look at my Profil Pic <----).
Many other design studys from NASA showing, that for a small shuttle with 15mT payload capability a single drop tank is enough and that was NASAs main interest. The big shuttle and stack we have today is only a result from the influence of the military, to stretch its payload to 30mT.

fausto

FOI SuperMod
Reaction score
Thaks Axel! However, Eridanus is not so big and its payload capacity is lower than space shuttle! I'ts 13-15 metric tons and it has not SSME-like engine.. just orbital ones.. the orbit is entirely achieved by Quasar launcher!

Here's a shot of a very interesting new feature: crew moving inside:

com_tu10.jpg

---------- Post added at 08:53 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:10 PM ----------

ast_ex10.jpg

---------- Post added 05-08-11 at 03:58 PM ---------- Previous post was 05-07-11 at 08:53 PM ----------

debris10.jpg

Eridanus debris shower after wrong reentry angle

---------- Post added 05-09-11 at 10:08 AM ---------- Previous post was 05-08-11 at 03:58 PM ----------

Quasar 2.0 has been released:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4840"]Quasar Super Heavy Launch Vehicle 2.0[/ame]

this is an essential step in order to give a launcher to the spaceplane:

LOX_vent.JPG

new PAD Q launch site with vent and sparks effects

Scintille.JPG

Last edited:

diogom

Reaction score
Another beautiful addon from Orbiter Forum Italia. :thumbup:

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Other images, from a test flight.

As you can see, the "sidemount" configuration was finally chosen instead of the "inline" (see below the side-by-side comparison between the two configurations).

---------- Post added at 04:36 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:19 PM ----------

The sidemount installation has required a range of security improvements from the Space Shuttle system: along with an ejectable cabin, the Eridanus has a shroud for his thermal protection, useful during the launch and the ascent.

Reaction score
First test of abort module, made by Fausto.

eridan12.jpg

The direction of engines exhausts is not yet final but the whole module could be implemented in the first release of Eridanus.

A little explanation of why we choose the "sidemount" option instead of "in line" option.
After consulting with some experts of www.ForumAstronautico.it (italian astronautic forum), they suggested the "sidemount" option because the turbulence generated by the wings at supersonic speed is much lower. We wanted to create a spaceplane as realistic as possible and therefore we have chosen the "sidemount" option. At the same time we wanted the spaceplane was as safe as possible, so we built a L.E.S. and a shroud for the thermal protection.

Once again I apologize to everyone for my bad English :blush:

Last edited: