Project Spacedock: Nemesis

Space-viking

Reaction score
The first concept sketch of my project:

picture.php

And I here present the first render of the not yet finished front section of the spacedock.
This is a massive structure measuring roughly 130 meters across and all most 50 meter's long.
The finished spacedock will measure roughly 130 wide and 225 meters long.
picture.php
Any feedback is much appreciated :feedback:

Last edited:

Space-viking

Reaction score
fixed had set the album to private for some reason, sorry about that. :beathead:

---------- Post added at 10:13 ---------- Previous post was at 06:58 ----------

Here is the finished model, still allot of work to be done, it need textures, a custom DLL, and a VC, for operation of the docks internal systems.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Feedback: Additionally to the many small robot arms, I would suggest having a stronger tug rail to move spacecraft or large modules into the spacedock without colliding with it.

The design is pretty, looks like it could easily fit into many Sci-Fi scenarios and blend well into the respective universe, may it be Star Trek or BattleTech.

Space-viking

Reaction score
Looking good, any chance a variant could be made...?:)

http://www.reactionengines.co.uk/obs_pic1.html

Sure i could do that, it's now on the todo list :thumbup:

---------- Post added at 12:41 ---------- Previous post was at 12:35 ----------

Feedback: Additionally to the many small robot arms, I would suggest having a stronger tug rail to move spacecraft or large modules into the spacedock without colliding with it.

You got a valid point there Urwumpe :tiphat:
So with no further delay, Spacedock: Nemesis now with tug rail :)

picture.php

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
For the VC, don't forget having a huge plan view of the dock at the back wall of the main control room, which shows what is currently planned to happen and how the dock is currently used. It is pretty hard to organize work on such large places without such plans... for example also on the decks of aircraft carriers.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/a6139a17073304/

Space-viking

Reaction score
Wow that looks really cool! Would be great for the UCGO Arrow.

now that you mention UCGO. I have plans to make it UCGO and UMMU 2.0 compatible.
I have now started the long and hard work of creating textures for this monster.

But this monster dock need some kind of working platform, for moving smaller objects and modules.
So I here present to you all, the Bees Mk I and Mk II.
Top most is the Mk I
picture.php

And again like last time any feedback is all ways welcome :)

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Looking fantastic,could you implement some kind of UCGO cargo loading system such as a crane or robotic arm?

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire

Ok, feet back:

Instead of having special arms for the tools, use a tool changer for the two arms, which permits installing the needed tool on the arm, eg by attachments. Would also permit more flexibility in the selection of tools, since you could change the available tools while the work bee is in hangar and only have those tools that you need for the shift. Also less arms means less confusion controlling the arms, and less mass, if you can only control two at a time.

The cockpit design is rather bad for the work, since most of the action will happen below the horizon of it (since the shoulder joints of the arms is below the canopy rim). Better make it more helicopter-like, so people can also look forward and down. In space you also don't have high accelerations, so you can permit the astronauts to pilot it standing, what would bring their heads closer to the windows. Which would make things a bit similar to a B5 Starfury, I admit it.

The number of lights on the work bees looks a little low, there should be much more spot- and flood lights on it.

Maybe add a coupling at the front of them, so you can move heavier elements with them, than by being limited by the rather flimsy arms.

Last edited:

Space-viking

Reaction score
Ok, feet back:

Instead of having special arms for the tools, use a tool changer for the two arms, which permits installing the needed tool on the arm, eg by attachments. Would also permit more flexibility in the selection of tools, since you could change the available tools while the work bee is in hangar and only have those tools that you need for the shift. Also less arms means less confusion controlling the arms, and less mass, if you can only control two at a time.

The cockpit design is rather bad for the work, since most of the action will happen below the horizon of it (since the shoulder joints of the arms is below the canopy rim). Better make it more helicopter-like, so people can also look forward and down. In space you also don't have high accelerations, so you can permit the astronauts to pilot it standing, what would bring their heads closer to the windows. Which would make things a bit similar to a B5 Starfury, I admit it.

The number of lights on the work bees looks a little low, there should be much more spot- and flood lights on it.

Maybe add a coupling at the front of them, so you can move heavier elements with them, than by being limited by the rather flimsy arms.

Again you bring valid points to the table :yes:
First off; Chancing the to front manipulator arm, to incorporate some kind of tool changer is not a bad idea, thanks, I'll have a look at it.

Second; I'm not sure I'll chance the way to cockpit looks, I like the way they are, but you point is not bad. I think that a change in the way the to manipulator arm's work and look is a better way to go about that problem, maybe even implement some camera on the underside near the front of the bees, to give the crew better visuals. What I was thinking was, to change the front manipulator arm's to be more like the on on the back of the Mk II bee, maybe even change there position of the shoulder joint, to where the special tool arm's are located on the sketch now.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Second; I'm not sure I'll chance the way to cockpit looks, I like the way they are, but you point is not bad. I think that a change in the way the to manipulator arm's work and look is a better way to go about that problem, maybe even implement some camera on the underside near the front of the bees, to give the crew better visuals. What I was thinking was, to change the front manipulator arm's to be more like the on on the back of the Mk II bee, maybe even change there position of the shoulder joint, to where the special tool arm's are located on the sketch now.

Well, some astronautical aspects about this:

• You want to see what you are doing with the arms, directly and not only over monitors. Especially, since you would like to have monitors providing you additional perspectives.
  • You want to work for hours in a position, that is not tiring the astronaut too much. For example having to look up all the time is not easy, even in space.
  • You also want a good sight outside the workspace of the arms, since the work bee is not operating alone in the dock. You need situational awareness, and a good canopy is better than what all motion sensors could.
  • The cockpit would also be better by allowing more motion of the astronaut inside it, so he can watch the activity of the robot arm from different positions.
  • Additional monitors should not block the field of view, and still be close enough to the main line of slight, so you can check the work from different perspectives easily.
Moving the shoulder joint higher fixes a few problems of this, but you would still then need to work ABOVE the cockpit, if the window shape remains. Not impossible, but a pretty aardvark position, even when the astronaut could lean backwards, like inside a planetarium or 3D cinema. The visible work space between workbee and work item would also be a bit more limited than by working in front of it.

Linguofreak

Reaction score

They don't seem quite "skeletal" enough to me. A utility vehicle (which doesn't have to look pretty) that operates in vacuum (so no aerodynamics to worry about) is probably going just be a bunch of equipment attached to a framework, like the Shuttle A, Dragonfly, ISS, etc. What you have looks like it was meant to cruise down the Interstate at high speeds (except for the arms and lack of wheels), or fly (except for the arms and lack of wings).

Of course, if you just really want it to look cool, you can ignore all that.

so you can permit the astronauts to pilot it standing,

"Standing" in microgravity?

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Looks awesome! Can't wait to dock with the finished product!

For the VC, don't forget having a huge plan view of the dock at the back wall of the main control room, which shows what is currently planned to happen and how the dock is currently used. It is pretty hard to organize work on such large places without such plans... for example also on the decks of aircraft carriers.

http://www.imagebam.com/image/a6139a17073304/

I immediately thought of the episode of Star Trek: TNG titled "Booby Trap" where Lt. Commander LaForge ran the holodeck simulation of Drafting Room 5 at Utopia Planitia shipyards during the Enterprise-D's construction to have a working schematic model of the original engine design as a reference.

(In the first pic, the design schematics are just off to the right, in the sliding transparent boards)

Attachments

• Galaxy_class_design_lab.jpg
    Galaxy_class_design_lab.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 58
  • GalaxyClassDesignLab2.jpg
    GalaxyClassDesignLab2.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Space-viking

Reaction score
Moving the shoulder joint higher fixes a few problems of this, but you would still then need to work ABOVE the cockpit, if the window shape remains. Not impossible, but a pretty aardvark position, even when the astronaut could lean backwards, like inside a planetarium or 3D cinema. The visible work space between workbee and work item would also be a bit more limited than by working in front of it.

I'd say that by bringing the arm's up, the bees work plane, is levelled with the cockpit. Thus giving the crew amble view of what they are doing. Correct me if I'm wrong.

They don't seem quite "skeletal" enough to me.

I have a profound love of all things that look nice, so that is reflected in my models.

---------- Post added at 20:59 ---------- Previous post was at 19:26 ----------

Looks awesome! Can't wait to dock with the finished product!

I immediately thought of the episode of Star Trek: TNG titled "Booby Trap" where Lt. Commander LaForge ran the holodeck simulation of Drafting Room 5 at Utopia Planitia shipyards during the Enterprise-D's construction to have a working schematic model of the original engine design as a reference.

(In the first pic, the design schematics are just off to the right, in the sliding transparent boards)

I took the idea to heart and may this, representation. It was done quickly so it's not the final, if that is how I'm going to implement it in the VC

picture.php

jgrillo2002

Conservative Pioneer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
now that you mention UCGO. I have plans to make it UCGO and UMMU 2.0 compatible.
I have now started the long and hard work of creating textures for this monster.

But this monster dock need some kind of working platform, for moving smaller objects and modules.
So I here present to you all, the Bees Mk I and Mk II.
Top most is the Mk I
picture.php

Did you draw these. If so that is very very impressive. you gotta show me how you draw like that. anyways keep up the good work.

Space-viking

Reaction score
Did you draw these. If so that is very very impressive. you gotta show me how you draw like that. anyways keep up the good work.

I can if there are an interest, give some pointers on how to draw mechanical constructions, maybe even a small How-to guide. But for the most parts is it just practice, practice and some more practice.

Well on to the subject; I have now started on designing the VC, but I'd like to hear what kind of functionality you guy's would like to have on the spacedock, as that is a factor in the design process.