Updates STS-134 Updates

diogom

Reaction score
Sorry, but that would be 6:32 UTC. 7:32 for me, since we have UTC+1 currently.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Which puts landing at 08:32 in my timezone, which is perfect! Classes start at 0915 that day, so I can go to uni a bit earlier and watch it live.

diogom

Reaction score
Here classes start at 8:15, so I have enough time to watch it, if it lands on time. That will wake me up for the day, and help me bear another day listening to a boring Portuguese class. :lol:

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
If you don't know, there are O-F calendar events for undocking and landing, with timers. You can request reminders for those events.

The calendar event for landing will be updated further with more detailed information after publication of DOL PAD.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
Retired Staff
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lb-iFEjONCo&feature=feedu[/ame]

EVA for STS-135? Did I missed something?

C3PO

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
EVA for STS-135? Did I missed something?

I think it's a EVA by the station crew while STS-135 is docked. At least that's how I understood it.

Orbinaut Pete

ISSU Project Manager
News Reporter
Reaction score
From ISS On-Orbit Status Report for 29/05/2011

Working alongside MS-1 Mike Fincke, FE-3 Ron Garan finished up on the installation of the new CDRA (Carbon Dioxide Removal Assembly) Desiccant/Sorbent Bed 2 in Node 3. CDRA was successfully restored to full service.

Reboost Update:
At ~5:01 AM GMT, Endeavour performed a nominal reboost of ISS, providing a change in velocity of 0.57 m/s (meters/second), resulting in a 1.04 km (kilometer) increase of mean ISS altitude. For the reboost Pilot Greg Johnson used the VCRS (Vernier Reaction Control System) in Config. 3/Auto Reboost mode.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
Retired Staff
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
Mission Daily Recap - FD14

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fg1_cZM9HEU&feature=feedu[/ame]

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
Retired Staff
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
At 11:55 p.m. EDT Sunday, space shuttle Endeavour undocked from the International Space Station. Endeavour spent 11 days, 17 hrs and 41 minutes docked to the orbiting laboratory. At undocking, the spacecraft were 215 miles above LaPaz, Bolivia.

The fly around of the space station will begin at 12:22 a.m., with Pilot Greg Johnson maneuvering Endeavour to circle the station at a distance of about 600 feet. The shuttle crew members will take detailed photographs of the external structure of the station, which serves as important documentation for the ground teams in Houston to monitor the orbiting laboratory.

Once the shuttle completes 1.5 revolutions of the complex, Johnson will fire Endeavour’s jets to leave the area. Nearly two hours after undocking a second firing of the engines, which would normally take the shuttle further away, will serve as the first maneuver to bring Endeavour back toward the station for the Sensor Test for Orion Relative-navigation Risk Mitigation, or STORRM. Commander Mark Kelly will pilot Endeavour for the re-rendezvous.

The test will characterize the performance of sensors in Endeavour’s payload bay and acquisition of reflectors on the shuttle’s docking target at the station. The re-rendezvous will mimic the Orion vehicle’s planned rendezvous trajectory and will approach no closer than 600 feet to the station. Endeavour is targeted to approach the station to a point 1,000 feet below and 300 feet behind the station at its closest point.

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
Retired Staff
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
At 4:39 EDT (8:39 UTC), Endeavour fired its reaction control system jets for 4 seconds in a final separation burn to depart the space station for good. The burn changed Endeavour's velocity by less than 1 mph, but it puts the shuttle on course to fly further away from the station on each orbit.

The shuttle astronauts next plan to have lunch, then they will pack away their spacesuits for landing and power down their rendezvous systems. The crew's schedule calls for them to go to sleep at 10:56 a.m. EDT.

Last edited:

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
The ISS and Endeavour just flew over where I live and I could make them both out, like a binary star. The hours after or before docking are really cool for this reason, and I feel very fortunate to be able to see. It was really exciting to get to see Endeavour one last time.

flytandem

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.flytandem.com
I also had to get up to see a flyover at 05:19:34 Monday 30th (CDT). It had passed directly overhead but didn't receive its sunrise until it was down to 30 degrees above the horizon as seen from my location in San Bernardino California. It lit up very brightly right on schedule. It was descending as snake-eyes into a clear NE sky.

What was surprising and fun to see was a fairly bright cloud-like glow around the shuttle (the leading craft). And this glow had a tapering tail that descended all the way to the horizon ahead of its direction of motion. I assume it was the exhaust of a previous burn reflecting sunlight. Could it be the sep-3 burn from 100 minutes prior?

diogom

Reaction score
That trail I believe it's condensation, or something like that. What do you see on the ET? Seems pretty normal to me.

Krikkit

Reaction score
What's up with the bottom of the ET during that video, and also with that trail which seems to be coming off the Orbiter (e.g. at 6:53)?

The bottom of the ET usually gets charred (though not badly) during liftoff. In some footage it even looks like it is on fire. NASA assures us this is normal and never caused a problem.

Makes sense though, I couldn't sit between two SRBs and three SSMEs and come out looking bright and orange as if I were just built.

The "trail" is just wingtip contrails caused by high velocity vortices coming off the wing tips, happens with most aircraft given the right condition.

Dambuster

Reaction score
Thanks for your answers - makes sense, I can't disagree with your answer about the ET, Krikkit! :lol:

I've seen those trails on landing, never expected them on takeoff, though!

diogom

Reaction score
Why do I only get clouds and 5 am ISS visible passes when events like these happen? :beathead:
Nice video there, did you film it yourself, or found it online?