The ISS de-orbit

Dogsbd

Reaction score
Website
members.tripod.com
Who could even privately afford the ISS?

Anyone could, if ISS was being offered up practically for free. And if the choice was to:

a. spend millions on a mission to deorbit it
b. give it to someone who would continue to operate it at no cost to you and still offer you some access if you needed/wanted it.

...the decision to give it away would be easy, for me at least.

I mean, if say I bought it, (example :)) how could I turn profit from it?

You or I probably couldn't. But Robert Bigelow, Elon Musk or Richard Branson might. ;)

chris

Reaction score
When was the last time that there were *no* humans at all in space, outside Earth's atmosphere? It must be before the launch of Mir. It would be very sad if we return to that time.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sorry, everyone this is the cold hard truth: When NASA decides to fund ISS operations no more, that will be the end of ISS. NASA owns and funds more of ISS operations than the Russians.

They own and control the following ISS elements:
Node 1
Node 2
Node 3
US Lab
Joint Airlock Module
S0
S1
S3
S4
S5
S6
P1
P3
P4
P5
P6
Z1

All those elements listed above are controlled and operated by Flight Control Teams at NASA's Mission Control Center at the Johnson Space Center in Houston, TX. They work 24/7/365.25.

Annually the ISS funding is about $4.5 Not to mention that NASA owns all the electrical power generated by the US Solar Array Wings.

So when NASA quits as an ISS partner, that's it for ISS unless somebody else can cough up enough funds for continued operations of the USOS. And NASA will still then insist on being in charge of USOS daily operations through the ISS FCR in the MCC at JSC.

That's just the cold hard truth.

dougkeenan

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.orbithangar.com
how do you figure?
I got curious while modeling MBA and did research into self-contained ecosystems. I own a hydroponics store in the non-Orbiter world (!) and the science seems credible enough. Might even make an interesting add-on?

Lunar Pilot

Reaction score
Lunar Farms

You know, all you have to do is have a base on the Lunar North Pole, or the Lunar South Pole, the regions there get sunlight practically all year long, 24/7. Of course, there is a small period of time where the sun sets, but hey, that's what rechargeable batteries are for, right?

ryan

That guy
Reaction score
You know, all you have to do is have a base on the Lunar North Pole, or the Lunar South Pole, the regions there get sunlight practically all year long, 24/7. Of course, there is a small period of time where the sun sets, but hey, that's what rechargeable batteries are for, right?

Did that have anything with the idea of the ISS de-orbit?

apollo13

Reaction score
Just remember: Mir got deorbited by a Progress freighter.

So, whats the point of having thrusters to raise the stations orbit, if a progress can do it?

@Ryan

Stop, he's just posting an idea.

Cairan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
ISS plane change

One thing we are overlooking is the possibility of using ISS's power supply and an ion engine or powered tether to very slowly push it to a more favorable inclination. The real issue with ISS being a dead-end is the fact it's inclined so much in respect to the ecliptic...

Get that down to 28.5 so you can reach it due east from the Cape and without too much loss from Guyana and you have the added benefit of the station being twice a year in periods of favorable inclination to reach other planets.

That 70-something inclination is what will get these orbital cans canned...