Gaming The Kerbal Space Program - Version 1.2.x

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
Import surely not, but modelling from scratch maybe.

Technically? Meh.

IIRC when the CSS project was still under Rockets2Guns (yes that guy ;)) he used a model that was from SSU, only he had divided it up into different parts and such.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
IIRC when the CSS project was still under Rockets2Guns (yes that guy ;)) he used a model that was from SSU, only he had divided it up into different parts and such.

I doubt it, historically. :lol:

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Just realized I have a few hours (game time) to cobble together a rocket and probe before the current launch window to Jool closes. Rocket and probe are mated and on the pad. Question is, can the rocket actually fly? I noticed a lot of techs running around the pad with space tape in the last few minutes...
EDIT: Yup. Ran beautifully. Only glitch was the core engine blowing up due to overheat early in the ejection burn. Looks like I forgot to enable that particular utility of Mechjeb... I just staged to my NTRs and kept on going.

Here's a trick to prevent overheating: Don't attach the mainsails directly to the tank. Put a "Cubic Octagonal Strut" under the tank, attach the mainsail to the strut, and connect the tank and mainsail with a fuel line.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
screenshot52.png.jpg

screenshot51-001.jpg

screenshot51.jpg

No problems to report!
What altitude should I target for the aerobrake? Never did this before.

I'm still a bit unhappy about performance. ~10 fps, even with time running slower (max physics dt 0.04s), while the only thing to see are a few meshes and a skybox and the only thing to calculate is the orbit...

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
There's a forum topic about that that came up recently...
Aim for between 11 and 12 km PeA for a hard Aerocapture, and between 12 and 13 km for a gentle one. I did one last night that confirmed the theoretical work.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
And I thought 20 kilometers are way to low :lol:.

Thanks, I'll try 12 km. Duna is in view, right now I'm flying through Ikes SOI.

Pablo49

Reaction score
Thanks, I'll try 12 km. Duna is in view, right now I'm flying through Ikes SOI.
Does Ike have enough influence to affect your approach? I've never ran into it's SOI on the few Duna missions I did.

goaowonk

mnlaflojalee
Reaction score
I've never ran into it's SOI

I always end using it for lowering my Apoapsis a little, as I'm always too short or with too much remainig fuel on a noticeable percentage of my interplanetary missions. Ike is quite big for being so close to Duna, I think.

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I was above 500 kilometers, it had no visible influence.

12 km was a bit to low, but I was able to recover.
Now I just have to land.

screenshot77.png.jpg

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I was above 500 kilometers, it had no visible influence.

12 km was a bit to low, but I was able to recover.
Now I just have to land.

screenshot77.png.jpg

Hey great. :thumbup:

I'm completely puzzled by why the FPS is so bad. Maybe there is a part somewhere in the Kethane add-on that causes a heavy performance hit? It looks like it should cruise along at 50-60 fps with that part count, but still no dice.

How the heck are you burning the engine like that? I thought it was impossible to ignite it without first blowing off those fairing panels.

Once you've landed, would you mind posting the save state for me? Thanks for being my victim, er tester on this.

:cheers:

:hailprobe:

astrosammy

Dash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Here's the state before liftoff, properly fueled for a hard but possible launch. More or less Kethane will kill you.

I had some problems with the lander exploding when loading, but raising the gear and extending it again while yawing towards zenith should fix it.

I'm already flying back right now, just a small burn to lower the periapsis is left. The ship can certainly do a Kerbin-Duna-Kerbin flight!

Don't know why that panels stayed were; after undocking for landing they disappeared.

Attachments

• Kerbal Space Progam - Asammy to Duna.zip
    598.8 KB · Views: 2

BruceJohnJennerLawso

Dread Lord of the Idiots
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here's the state before liftoff, properly fueled for a hard but possible launch. More or less Kethane will kill you.

I had some problems with the lander exploding when loading, but raising the gear and extending it again while yawing towards zenith should fix it.

I'm already flying back right now, just a small burn to lower the periapsis is left. The ship can certainly do a Kerbin-Duna-Kerbin flight!

Don't know why that panels stayed were; after undocking for landing they disappeared.

:rofl: :lol:

Bielefeld!!!

You just made my week Astrosammy!

By the way I think I now know what went wrong FPS wise. The ship itself doesnt appear too complex, but it uses a ton of small parts that each have a similar performance hit to a bigger, single part. (ie the ascent engines, the solar panels on the propulsion stage, etc.). I'm going to clean all that up in the VAB for the VH series, post it to the KSP forums, and call it quits. Heres to a great flight! :cheers:

iamwearingpants

Just an Earth-bound misfit, I
Reaction score
Today on going overboard: I put two of those huge tanks around the Mün and Minmus along with enough large kethane tanks to drain a deposit.

XLPAqsd.png

T77Nmbr.jpg

Dockable engines are my favorite new thing now. I might make an SSTO that can undock it's liquid fuel engines and stick on a nuclear :hmm:

1mctVjS.jpg

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Dockable engines? Do you need the Kethane (or some other) mod for that? Or is it something like a small tank with engine, that you have to manually keep filling from other docked tanks?

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
You don't even need a tank. Just slap a docking port to the bottom of the fuel tank, another to the top of the engine, and hey presto, you've got a dockable engine. I usually will place the rocket engine in question atop a disposable rcs tug to make the docking easier.

csanders

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
You don't even need a tank. Just slap a docking port to the bottom of the fuel tank, another to the top of the engine, and hey presto, you've got a dockable engine. I usually will place the rocket engine in question atop a disposable rcs tug to make the docking easier.

So if an engine is directly docked to a tank, it will tap off it? Huh. Good to know.