"Three good engines"

kwan3217

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The next version of SDHLV is out, [ame=http://orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=4681]version 0.03[/ame]. Run, don't walk, to OrbitHangar. I need to make up the 224 downloads I lost when I posted the update. :lol:

I'm having fun with quoting things, as you may have noticed. A lot of projects out there have an unofficial title. For instance, Linux 2.6.27 goes by "Rotary Wombat". So, version 0.02 was "OMS-2 not required" (Did anyone get this joke?) and version 0.03 is "Three good engines"

After looking over the SDHLV specs, I am coming around to the idea of a HLV/Orion. I still think that's what a space shuttle is for, but I think I will be asked to make it anyway. Although, I will be happy to make a Falcon/Dragon if someone asks. (The best way to ask is to provide meshes and say, "Can you build a DLL for these meshes?")

The more I look at this side mount thing, the more I think this is the way we (and by that I mean the real-life NASA) should be going, instead of Ares V. It's simple, it's a small change from what we are already doing, and I have to believe that it will cost less to build three new engines per flight than it does to maintain a space shuttle, tear down and rebuild it's engines, etc. The rest of the cargo carrier can't cost that much more than the tank already does, and we throw those away already.

I have an ego too. I like seeing big numbers next to my addons, just as much as anyone else. However, I also subscribe to the release early and often philosophy. It seems that Orbithangar penalizes frequent releases, by not displaying an update as prominent as a new release, and by resetting the download counter. While this does make me check my addons more carefully before uploading them, it means that so far only 7 people have downloaded the much-improved 0.03 compared to the 224 who got 0.02.

I don't know how to fix this, or even if I should, but it's not going to change my philosophy of frequent releases. 0.10 is probably coming out tonight or tomorrow. I'll keep you all in suspense, but if you read my other comments elsewhere on the forum, you should know what's coming.