Question UDK Unreal Development kit

T1234

Reaction score
I found UDK looking for an engine that is free and not too complex to use.It seems to have a good terrain maker and can inport BMP and hightmaps.Do developers here use it?

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am currently learning it. I made a sort of EVA "simulator" where you can fly around the Discovery Space Shuttle, over the Earth. Now the Earth looks like crap and the "fly mode" is very rough ...
Now, the terrain maker is not really bad, but unless you want to sculpt you better make a heightmap using a specialized software (I own World Machine 2, which is really great and let you have big freedom on the terrain generation).

Last edited:

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
The unreal engine is an outstanding engine for games, but it won't do simulators very well. It was originally designed for first person shooters like Unreal Tournament and has only recently grown beyond that.

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure if 10 years can be called recently :p I've been playing MMORP Lineage 2 a lot few years ago and it was on Unreal Engine 2 back in 2003 :p however you're right. Although really beutiful worlds can be created, implementing full solar system into it would pose some problems.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Doesn't the Postal 2 series of games run on this engine? A quite old, but nevertheless proven construction for a first/third person experience, methinks.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Not sure if 10 years can be called recently :p
Some of games released in 2013, scheduled for release at the beginning of 2014, and being currently developed use Unreal Engine 3, and that's what UDK is using, too.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Doesn't the Postal 2 series of games run on this engine? A quite old, but nevertheless proven construction for a first/third person experience, methinks.
I think Portal games were made with Source Engine, because I may have seen some videos made with the Source Film Maker that used models from within the game ...

mojoey

Bwoah
Reaction score
I think Portal games were made with Source Engine, because I may have seen some videos made with the Source Film Maker that used models from within the game ...

He meant this: [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Postal_2"]Postal 2 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia[/ame]

T1234

Reaction score
I was thinking it would be ideal for making hills around bases, for example importing a tile and then sculpting it. Im sure it is more complex than that.

SolarLiner

It's necessary, TARS.
Addon Developer
Reaction score
UDK is here for making games, not for exporting terrains. If you want to do this, you'll need Blender, 3DS Max or Zbrush but UDK might not be the best for this task.