Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Alpha 100319 below.

One potential difficulty with the Hohmann AP was that it began the Moon insertion burn much earlier than I'd expected. As a result, the final PeA was 150 km lower than had been programmed (600 km), for a 25% error from the programmed altitude.
Hohmann transfer worked well, but like mjanicki, it put me in a far lower orbit than I had set.
Strange, it always work quite accurate for me, with various moons. Can either of you post a full scenario with near-encounter position that would fail like that?

This was the first time I've used a DG with UAP, and it got me thinking. Is it possible to add Scram jet settings into lift off and runway off?
I don't think so, scram engines are not default, and thus cannot be accessed without vessel-side support.

And why does tools have -1 set as the mode default? That's not a valid input. (But "mode_is: WTF?" is very amusing nonetheless. :lol:)
It was supposed to mean - set the mode before running.

Small request. Any way for "Heading = X " to carry over into next step? Just so I don't have to worry about whether I kept it consistent through the various steps.
Not as easy as it sounds, i'll keep it in mind.

Also, is "Engine = 15 " the only way to get a SCRAM engine going through Aerial Hold? It works well enough if that's the case, just curious.
Huh? Engine=15 will make it use all engines - hover, retro, main and main upside-down, causing a big confused tumbling ball of exhausts. For DG at least.
There should be no way to access scram engines without vessel support, so if you sure you found a repeatable bug that does just that, please tell the way to repeat it.

Another thing: When in Aerial Hold AP, how can I change "alt_rate" without raising "altitude"? I'm trying to get a good Aerial Hold AP sequence for the XR2 Ravenstar's SCRAM cruise phase. For example; have a final "altitude" of 70000 with an "alt_rate" of 100 m/s, with an "engine" of 15(see above), and "velocity" of 6300 in an Aerial Hold sequence. Am I just doing it wrong because I don't completely understand the "onoff"?
You're understanding it wrong.
It does not have any completion conditions, like final altitude, only holds state for eternity.
You can specify altitude it will hold, and you can specify the climb rate - rate of change of that altitude value. Same for other two.

I'm pretty sure every time I open a saved scenario with a UAP sequence, it automatically runs the AP when the scenario starts.
Fixed.

At the moment it is not possible to launch into a specific orbital plane unless there is already a vessel orbiting in that plane for the autopilot to use as a target.
Ok, i've added a heading variable to it, if it's targeted (heading read from target), or heading is set to 0..360 it will follow the heading, if heading is set to -1, it will follow prograde.

---------- Post added at 19:16 ---------- Previous post was at 15:15 ----------

Alpha 100319:
orbides.1gb.ru/orbf/uap-alpha-100319.zip

Changes:
-Grand optimization of Sync Orbits AP
-More careful plane aligning, should use one node most of the times
-Added wait for other vessel's sequence completion in vessel tool
-Added heading to trans-orbital
-Added undocking tool
-Added status string
-Fixed state of sequence running save

Bugfixes and optimizations.
The Sync orbits should now be much more consistent and precise, selecting the manoeuvres better.
Align planes should take one node most of the time on small changes, so Martian chase now completes within one orbit, Sync+Align.
These two are the targets of this alpha, as well as any bugs.

What next?
-Moon to Earth?
-Into the big interplanetary void?
-Landings and re-entries?
-OrbitHanger?

Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
What next?
-Moon to Earth?
-OrbitHanger?

I go for Landing and re-entries. though, it's your call of course ;)

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Moon to Earth please... No matter what I use (TransX or IMFD) I wind up cussing a lot and restarting.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Has anyone gotten the Atlantis to launch ?

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
Alpha 100319 below.
Huh? Engine=15 will make it use all engines - hover, retro, main and main upside-down, causing a big confused tumbling ball of exhausts. For DG at least.
There should be no way to access scram engines without vessel support, so if you sure you found a repeatable bug that does just that, please tell the way to repeat it.

This is not the way Engine=15 works for me. Only tested with XR2 and default DG-S but both act the same way. All engines shut off but I am allowed to manually engage SCRAM while the AP holds specified attitude.

EDIT: when using default DG, it DOES use all engines. Bug specific for vessels that have secondary engines? Will test more tonight.

Using latest Orbiter Beta, BTW.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Has anyone gotten the Atlantis to launch ?
Should work nicely since long ago, pad to ISS.
Any problems?

This is not the way Engine=15 works for me. Only tested with XR2 and default DG-S but both act the same way. All engines shut off but I am allowed to manually engage SCRAM while the AP holds specified attitude.

EDIT: when using default DG, it DOES use all engines. Bug specific for vessels that have secondary engines? Will test more tonight.
Ok, XR2 does not allow hover or retro engines due to doors being closed, and some logic shuts off main engines if retros were requested, so all is correct there. With DG-S i get the same all-engines result. 15=1+2+4+8=main+retro+hover+inverted.

So, the AP should be able to hold altitude and heading, but won't be able to control velocity, if you set the scrams manually. You can set the velocity to 0 to prevent it from using the main engine for good.

fort

Reaction score
Sorry Artlav of to haven't been able to test the latest versions of UAP and so little the first one. Nevertheless, what a tool !

Could sounds, sound's alarms be necessary, usefull, in certain circumstances ? I do not see when but by the fact,i do not know.

Good day.

Last edited:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
When I run the Atlantis Scenario, it just sits on the pad, the UAP MFD says it running.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
When I run the Atlantis Scenario, it just sits on the pad, the UAP MFD says it running.
Strange. Tried both default and Shuttle fleet, 2006 and latest beta, result is always the same - Shuttle goes up, up, and into orbit. Couldn't try SSU, since it never worked for me.

What exactly did you do, and with which add-ons?
Do other scenarios work?

Could sounds, sound's alarms be necessary, usefull, in certain circumstances ? I do not see when but by the fact,i do not know.
Hm? Sound alarms? Where and when?

mjanicki

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Hi, Artlav.

Strange, it always work quite accurate for me, with various moons. Can either of you post a full scenario with near-encounter position that would fail like that?
At the end of this post is my UAP Hohmann test with Deepstar from Earth to Moon. The first scenario is the whole thing, the second one has the vessel in position after the second correction burn. Results were a little better in my last 2 runs, but with a targeted altitude of 600 km, I'm still seeing PeA 527.6 km and ApA 670.2 km. Not bad, but less accurate than the other autopilots have been.

alpha-100319 feedback:

Targeted keypress seems to be broken. tools(type=0,key=k,target=SH-01) doesn't want to work any more, but tools(type=4,target=SH-01) still works.

Oh, and can I ask for another key to be added to keypress? :) The "o" key would be nice to open outer airlocks on the ShuttleA.

Everything else looked great in all my tests. Again, I liked the addition of messages in the status page to let the user know what the autopilot is doing or waiting for.

Since you've added mode=3 to the lift_off, I modified the Martian Chase demo scenario to take use of the better lift off for a ShuttleA as well as to take advantage of the ability to pass keypresses to remote vessels. If you want it, here's the modified UAP code for the demo scenario.

Code:
Martian chase demo scenario with new tools and launch modes.

BEGIN_uap
  $SH-01:lift_off(engine=main,mode=3,heading=70,altitude=300,pitch_tgt=45,pitch_duration=15,off_duration=1,stage=0),
  tools(type=0,key=g),
  lift_off(engine=main,mode=2,heading=70,pitch_tgt=65,pitch_duration=20,off_duration=30,stage=0),
  trans_orbit(engine=main,kind=0,apoapsis=450000,periapsis=450000,mode=0),
  attitude(engine=main,mode=0),
  attitude(engine=main,mode=2).
  $SH-02:tools(type=4,target=SH-01),
  tools(type=1,wait=75),
  lift_off(engine=main,mode=3,target=SH-01,altitude=300,pitch_tgt=35,pitch_duration=10,off_duration=2,stage=0),
  tools(type=0,key=g),
  lift_off(engine=main,mode=2,target=SH-01,pitch_tgt=55,pitch_duration=10,off_duration=0,stage=0),
  trans_orbit(engine=main,kind=0,target=SH-01,apoapsis=250000,periapsis=250000,mode=0),
  attitude(engine=main,mode=0),
  attitude(engine=main,mode=2),
  align(engine=main,target=SH-01,rinc_delta=0.10),
  sync_orbit(engine=main,target=SH-01,max_dv_to_use=400,tgt_distance=50000,minimize=1,stage=0),
  approach(engine=main,target=SH-01,max_velocity=100,tgt_distance=5000),
  tools(type=0,key=k,target=SH-01),
  tools(type=0,key=k),
  dock(target=SH-01,port=0,with_port=0).
END
What next?
-Moon to Earth?
-OrbitHanger? (sp)
My personal preference would be interplanetary travel, but I think to make the UAP useful to more people in the near term that landings and re-entries would be a good bet. That way it will be possible to automate launch, transfer, re-enter, and landing scenarios within a given system.

Thanks again for all the hard work. Again, scenarios below for my Hohmann tests.

-- Mike

Code:
BEGIN_DESC
UAP Hohmann test, vessel: Deepstar with no attached vessels.
END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Sol
  Date MJD 77276.8985776335
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
  Ship Deepstar
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET Deepstar
  MODE Cockpit
  FOV 50.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_HUD
  TYPE Orbit
  REF Earth
END_HUD

BEGIN_MFD Left
  TYPE Orbit
  PROJ Ship
  FRAME Ecliptic
  ALT
  REF Earth
END_MFD

BEGIN_MFD Right
  TYPE User
  MODE UAP MFD
END_MFD

BEGIN_SHIPS
Deepstar:Deepstar/Deepstar
  STATUS Orbiting Earth
  RPOS -498710.24 870419.45 6575872.99
  RVEL -7357.393 2465.022 -790.601
  AROT 102.20 70.88 95.82
  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000
  IDS 0:522 100 1:524 100 2:526 100 3:528 100 4:530 100
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  XPDR 520
  RCS 1
  CTRL_SURFACE 1
  CONFIGURATION 1
  CURRENT_PAYLOAD 0
  SEQ 0 -1 0.711066
  SEQ 1 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 2 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 3 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 4 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 5 -2 0.000000
END
END_SHIPS

BEGIN_ExtMFD
END

BEGIN_uap
  $Deepstar:align(is_running=0,is_started=0,is_finished=0,engine=main,target=Moon,rinc_delta=0.100000),
  hohmann(is_running=0,is_started=0,is_finished=0,engine=main,target=Moon,tgt_orbit_alt=600000.000000,stage=0). 
END
Code:
BEGIN_DESC
UAP Insertion Burn after second correction has completed.
END_DESC

BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Sol
  Date MJD 77281.7335161404
END_ENVIRONMENT

BEGIN_FOCUS
  Ship Deepstar
END_FOCUS

BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET Deepstar
  MODE Cockpit
  FOV 50.00
END_CAMERA

BEGIN_HUD
  TYPE Orbit
  REF Moon
END_HUD

BEGIN_MFD Left
  TYPE Orbit
  PROJ Ship
  FRAME Ecliptic
  ALT
  REF Moon
END_MFD

BEGIN_MFD Right
  TYPE User
  MODE UAP MFD
END_MFD

BEGIN_SHIPS
Deepstar:Deepstar/Deepstar
  STATUS Orbiting Moon
  RPOS 7974055.89 57492.17 -1222077.31
  RVEL -1067.932 -102.809 796.430
  AROT 170.36 35.94 -162.52
  PRPLEVEL 0:0.890
  IDS 0:522 100 1:524 100 2:526 100 3:528 100 4:530 100
  NAVFREQ 0 0
  XPDR 520
  RCS 1
  CTRL_SURFACE 1
  CONFIGURATION 1
  CURRENT_PAYLOAD 0
  SEQ 0 -1 0.052696
  SEQ 1 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 2 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 3 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 4 -2 0.000000
  SEQ 5 -2 0.000000
END
END_SHIPS

BEGIN_ExtMFD
END

BEGIN_uap
  >Deepstar:hohmann(is_running=1,is_started=1,is_finished=0,engine=main,target=Moon,tgt_orbit_alt=600000.000000,stage=6). 
END

Pablo49

Reaction score
I think next should be re-entry and landing. It should have a wider appeal. Then you have a complete system, and then add on things like interplanetary etc.

I don't have my Hohmann scenario anymore, but mjanicki posted his, so we're all good.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
At the end of this post is my UAP Hohmann test with Deepstar from Earth to Moon. The first scenario is the whole thing, the second one has the vessel in position after the second correction burn. Results were a little better in my last 2 runs, but with a targeted altitude of 600 km, I'm still seeing PeA 527.6 km and ApA 670.2 km. Not bad, but less accurate than the other autopilots have been.
Hm, more or less an expected result - it targets SMa of 600Km, not a circular orbit. I think i'll make it circularize at the arrival altitude instead.

Targeted keypress seems to be broken.
There is no such thing - the target field is only valid for sequence starting and waiting.
Would it be a useful feature?

Oh, and can I ask for another key to be added to keypress?
Done.
Since you've added mode=3 to the lift_off, I modified the Martian Chase demo scenario to take use of the better lift off for a ShuttleA.
Updated. You might want to insert a wait before align, since first SH might be behind the second one.

Last edited:

mjanicki

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
There is no such thing - the target field is only valid for sequence starting and waiting.
Would it be a useful feature?

Hmm... I could have sworn it worked the other day. I must not be getting enough sleep. I think it would be useful, but I might be the only one. I'm picturing ordering two vessels to open docking ports prior to a dock, then have them both open airlocks and eva crew between the ships. All of that can be done with just the k, o, and e keys so could be fun but maybe not useful enough to go through the trouble.
Updated. You might want to insert a wait before align, since first SH might be behind the second one.
Oh, I didn't think of that. In the scenario I'm using, the vessels are timed just right. The first ShuttleA reaches its final orbit 300 or so seconds before the aligning ShuttleA reaches the first potential node, and everything works out quite nicely timed with the final docking taking place in sunlight. I'll rerun it with the demo scenario and have a look at the kind of wait time that might be good.

-- Mike

KosmoKen

Lost in Translation
Donator
Reaction score
So, the AP should be able to hold altitude and heading, but won't be able to control velocity, if you set the scrams manually. You can set the velocity to 0 to prevent it from using the main engine for good.

That cleared it all up for me, thank you. I guess I just didn't understand Engine=x completely.

Sideshow

Reaction score

I've had a similar problem just after installing each new alpha version although it only affects runway_off sequences. The UAP says it is running but nothing happens. My trial and error fix, which is not very scientific and may have redundant steps but always seems to work, is a follows.

1) Disable the UAP module.
2) Run the scenario.
3) Re enable the UAP module.
4) Run the scenario.
5) Restart the computer.
6) Run the scenario, everything should work fine from now on.

---------- Post added at 02:44 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:01 AM ----------

Could someone please confirm that in the following scenario the DGEX enters into a side-slip after retracting its gear? If so, any ideas why?

I'm trying to use UAP to launch one but can't get past the first step.

Code:
BEGIN_DESC
END_DESC
BEGIN_ENVIRONMENT
  System Sol
  Date MJD 54948.5686358717
END_ENVIRONMENT
BEGIN_FOCUS
  Ship GLex-02
END_FOCUS
BEGIN_CAMERA
  TARGET GLex-02
  MODE Cockpit
  FOV 30.00
END_CAMERA
BEGIN_HUD
  TYPE Surface
END_HUD
BEGIN_MFD Left
  TYPE Surface
  SPDMODE 1
END_MFD
BEGIN_MFD Right
  TYPE Map
  REF Earth
  BTARGET Nice
  OTARGET Moon
  ZOOM
  TRACK ON
END_MFD
BEGIN_PANEL
END_PANEL

BEGIN_SHIPS
GLex-02:DeltaGliderEX
  STATUS Landed Earth
  POS -80.6858943 28.5906644
  HEADING 330.01
  RCSMODE 0
  PRPLEVEL 0:1.000 1:1.000
  NAVFREQ 0 524
  XPDR 0
  NOSECONE 0 0.0000
  GEAR 1 1.0000
  AIRLOCK 0 0.0000
  BAY 0 0.0000
  AIRB 0 0.0000
  LNAV 0
  LCOL 0
  LSTRB 0
  LLDG 0
  DOCK 0
  PAYL 1
  SKIN DGex_2
  TRIM 0.000
  XG 25
  YG 0
  TG 0
  TB 0
  TR 0
  TW 0
  CT 1
  e0 1
  e1 1
  e2 1
  e3 1
  r0 0
  r1 0
  r2 0
  r3 0
  haeMain 1
  engLk 0
  eng0 0.00
  eng1 0.00
  eng2 0.00
  eng3 0.00
END
END_SHIPS

BEGIN_uap
  >GLex-02:
 runway_off(engine=main,thrust=1.0,altitude=1500,heading=330.02,v1=150,gear_key=g).
END

I'm using the latest dll from here: http://orbiter-forum.com/showpost.php?p=125060&postcount=32

fort

Reaction score
" Hm? Sound alarms? Where and when? "

I really do not know. I was thinking about the old wakeup mfd (in wich one there was helas no sounds ).

At the end of a "time to end" of a sequence, maneuver ?

I think at first sight that this is not really important.

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Oh did you happen to read my idea about time acceleration with multiple craft?
Can you imagine how boring that is?
You set 10000x as max time accel, start KSC->Moon scenario, and 6 minutes real time later, both DGs are at the lunar station, with autopilot automatically throttling time accel down and up again.
The last method of control gone, Orbiter becoming a movie you watch entirely hands-free!
Oh the humanity!

In other words, feature implemented.

I think it would be useful, but I might be the only one. I'm picturing ordering two vessels to open docking ports prior to a dock, then have them both open airlocks and eva crew between the ships. All of that can be done with just the k, o, and e keys so could be fun but maybe not useful enough to go through the trouble.
The trouble is half-line worth of code, added.

I'll rerun it with the demo scenario and have a look at the kind of wait time that might be good.
And i wondered why i put a wait for target sequence completion option in tools AP a few alphas ago...

I've had a similar problem just after installing each new alpha version although it only affects runway_off sequences.
Strange, maybe some VC2005 runtimes issue? Was the problem here with VC6 builds?

Could someone please confirm that in the following scenario the DGEX enters into a side-slip after retracting its gear? If so, any ideas why?

I'm trying to use UAP to launch one but can't get past the first step.
Looks like so. DGEX is too unwieldy to be efficiently controlled by UAP, i'll try to tune it better.
As for full launch - DGEX use two types of engines, and an unusual launch profile, heavily relied on wings, so trans-orbit will not work.
Sync orbits won't work if Dv is too big.
Hohmann will not work due to extremely long burn times.
Other AP's seems Ok.

At the end of a "time to end" of a sequence, maneuver ?
Just make it do a noise?
Why?

fort

Reaction score
If I suppose that I want to realize a maneuver with UAP then to follow this flight, alone ( without UAP ). If I suppose that the attended maneuver with UAP be rather long to realize (put in orbit then alignplane) and that I want, or find convenient, to let it go in real time, but that I need to proceed the following ( personal ) maneuver without awaiting . This could be a service that to be able to work on something else next to the PC without having to check visually to which point I am in my procedure with UAP.

But can be isn't that right well important.

Last edited:

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
I have a problem with the new 100319.
when I try to launch (just as I did before, by selecting lift off, mode 2 and than tran-orbit) I get into orbit, but when Trans-orbit tries to get a stable orbit, it says: lost, flying blind... anyone know how to fix this?? (I think it's just me, doing something wrong btw ;)) the craft I try to launch is the Jarvis-H

EDIT:

I just did some test and if I don't change the heading (so it's 90) everything is going good. but when I try another (in my case 50) I get the error message

Last edited:

johndeere5

Reaction score
Can you add more steps instead of 2, that way anyone can pre-program on the ground before AP taking off, enter orbit, and head to the moon or wherever ones going, and please as a request to have it set up to work with the XR2 Ravenstar 1.0 and XR5 Vanguard 1.2 so it can use the scram engine first before using the main rocket engine precious fuel which the scram fuel cannot be transfered to the rocket fuel tank. I would like multiple programmable stages instead of AP takeoff then reprogram it to go into orbit and reprogram it to do any other things one at a time, having multiple programmable stages will be a big help here.

Status
Not open for further replies.