Project Universal Car for Orbiter (UCO)

Balladeer

Reaction score
Cool. Will we be able to make our own faces then? I'm thinking Tom Skerritt circa Top Gun with aviator glasses.:cool:

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Dan,

I always liked the in-game menus. Very helpful for people who like to get in and play the game and never RTFM. You have some of the nicest ones out there. As always, you put a lot of time and effort into your craft.This makes your add-ons a step above the rest.

Thanks again for your very amazing work!

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
AAAARGHHHHH !!!!!!

I just done the code to slow you when you carry an heavy things, work perfect, you can carry a 200kg cargo on moon (32kg) but not on earth for example. A 100kg cargo on earth would slow you down and a 150 might be impossible to deplace.

Why "aaaaargh" then ?

Because constructing a base with cargos maye become annoying or impossible without a vehicle and the only "outer space vehicle" is yet the Azure wich cannot be brought by other vessel than the Arrow.

I have now the choice:

1-Devellop a forklift for space (1 week of modelling)
2-Devellop a small "forklift" that UMMU are supposed to carry in "pocket" and can deploy using one key (2 days) This ->http://www.officinevillalta.it/data/prodotti/zoom/192-TRANSPALLET.jpg
3-Do a config utility (F11) to disable the weight limitation in UMMU (1 days)
4-Disable all my today's work, pretend they all have a bionic squelett in spacesuit (0 days)

None of those satisfy me, every player is different, some don't care about reality and prefere to move ton of cargo with UMMU, other may want to stick to reality.

My heart balance beetween 2 and 4.... :idk:

2 is annoying, one more key just to have the same result than 4? (a forklift in pocket ?
doubt.gif

Dan

---------- Post added at 11:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:48 PM ----------

Choice 5:

Slow down to almost nothing with bigger cargo but doesn't stop. You'll still feel the weight and you'll still be able to construct a base. (5mn of work)

---------- Post added at 11:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:52 PM ----------

Ok choice 5 done, thanks to all for advice :) (joking)

Other choices where not realistic either and too limiting

1-Would have no vessel to be carried to landing base (if not using the arrow)
2-Would require enormous pocket (realistic? )
3-Would give the choice beetween "no base" or "no weight"
4-Would be a bit ridiculous (2 ton at full running speed)
5- is just perfect... A good compromise.

---------- Post added 11-07-09 at 12:01 AM ---------- Previous post was 11-06-09 at 11:57 PM ----------

Sorry, thinking out loud... :)

Last edited:

reekchaa

Endeavoring Futurist
Reaction score
5 sounds great. :)
...Then relaunch as a commercial effort somehow and start basking in moolah. :thumbup:

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Choice 7: bring a pocket knife and build it when you get there. LOL

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Is it possible for the Delta Glider to carry something in it's cargo bay, that could unpack into a compact, utility forklift. Back when I had a crappy job, we had a motorized pallet jack that could move some pretty big loads. We had a few that had a platform to ride on as well. Neither lifted things up high like a forklift (max height about 6-8 inches...:rofl:(sorry, just had a "that's what she said" moment)... But both could move several hundred pounds.

They were fun to joust with also.

anemazoso

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
What about coding the ability to link 2 ummu's people together, operated with one guy to share the load? That's how we move heavy things in real life, get a buddy to help :cheers:

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Maybe some form of tracked pallet jack would be pretty cool. Similar to what you would have in a warehouse, but tracked for the planet/moon surface. I could see that being realistic.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Choice 9: Allow our fantastically talented addon developer community to make some cargo transporter vessels. :)

dansteph

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.dansteph.com
Funny...

I had lately to build and install a new pc for my wife because it was broken !
Since tonight my PC don't boot anymore, bluescreen reboot, bluescreen reboot...

The good news is that all the dev source and orbiter files are safe and backuped but I'll probably spend the whole day reinstalling my pc...

he he <-nervous laugh

Dan

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
I'm working on a proof-of-concept like approach of "choice 9" and did this the last hours:
9wgpa1h50_VoidCargoBuggyDevelopment1.bmp

This buggy needs many optimizations yet (I'm a lousy modeller) but I'm just thinking out loud ;) .
Hey, Dan, if you like the idea then it will be a greenlight for me to start de Void Buggy Project, finish this mesh, texture it and release it with your future "UCGO SDK" configurations applied.

I plan that it will be transported by another mother ship I'll work on, maybe has a cargo of UCGO that when unpackaged on the moon for example will be able to carry other cargo on the back, roof and front.