Project Universal Car for Orbiter (UCO)

Buzz313th

Reaction score
That's not one request it's six and it's not quick. What you are asking for is a whole new level of UCGO.

Actually four, but who's counting. ;)

Forgive me, but I thought since the ability to create cargo in the cargo slot already exists, that it might be easy...

Hell, it doesn't hurt to ask. Worse that can happen is Dan responding and saying it's a bit too much work...

JB

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Keep in mind that Dan can't do the work for everyone. A lot of what you were asking should be executable on the vessel-DLL side.

Woo482

Addon Developer
GFX Staff
Reaction score
Dan creates these amazing addons for free and doesn't need to add any thing you request.. asking for 6 new features that aren't really needed will probably annoy him.

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Ok, stupid question, how do I take, for example, cargo from say a ship and put the same piece of cargo onto a car with out making a new cargo for the car? You know have a UMMU pick up the cargo and put it on the flatbed?

sunshine135

All Around Good Guy
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Ok, stupid question, how do I take, for example, cargo from say a ship and put the same piece of cargo onto a car with out making a new cargo for the car? You know have a UMMU pick up the cargo and put it on the flatbed?

RTFM, or in this case, the in-game menu help. Key combinations to grapple and release cargo are "C" to grapple with the vehicle and "Shift + C" to release. Read...read...read people! Dan put a lot of work into the in-game menus and the SDK manuals. :thumbup:

Cheers,

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Thank you. I did not see that one. That is why I was asking. By the way, are there any addons that will let you drive on the Orulex height map? I tried using [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=1396"]MeshLand_1.9.2[/ame] but that didn't work.

Tommy

Reaction score
By the way, are there any addons that will let you drive on the Orulex height map?

No. Orbiter doesn't really support ground vehicles very well, so in order to make a workable vehicle such as a UCO car several "hacks" are required. Since heightmaps aren't supported by the Orbiter core, several other hacks are required for it to work. Getting both sets of hacks to work together would be very complicated.

Dan has stated that he doesn't intend to try supporting terrain meshes until it's supported in the core, and I certainly don't blame him. Trying to do otherwise would be a massive amount of work for him, especially since Orelux is still in early beta stage and changes drastically every now and then. It's hard to aim for a moving target.

vonneuman

Orbinaut
Reaction score
Hey Dan I was trying to get to the download page of the latest UCGO and your page was not working. A file not found error. Just to let you know

Edit: Ok just the link you posted to the forum isn't working. If you go through the download page it works fine.

dumbo2007

Crazy about real time sims
Reaction score
...until it's supported in the core,
....and I guess that isnt on the cards for Orbiter 2009 at least ? Or for the forseeable future.

By the way...is there any standard installer available for packaging addons like the one Dan uses ? Or do we need to build one on our own ?
Perhaps a Control Panel like feature that lets you track, install and uninstall addons would be great ! But that may require backing up files each time they are modified so better to just copy manually.

Last edited:

Dig Gil

LearninProgram,Slackin DigTech
Reaction score
Website
dig-orbiter.blogspot.com
RoverScreen01-vi.jpg

JB

You know that wheels that are inflated by air don't work in vacuum, don't you?:hello:

Anyway: DanSteph, apart from minor spelling mistakes, I've not found any issue in your UCGO.:tiphat:

Buzz313th

Reaction score
You know that wheels that are inflated by air don't work in vacuum, don't you?:hello:

Anyway: DanSteph, apart from minor spelling mistakes, I've not found any issue in your UCGO.:tiphat:

They are runflats. Run em flat in a vacuum, or inflate em when your in a pressurized atmosphere.

A general electric powered rover meant to work anywhere there is gravity.

;)

JB

T.Neo

SA 2010 Soccermaniac
Addon Developer
Reaction score

Why shouldn't they?

Habitats inflated with air do just fine...

Drop the pressure a bit and you should be fine.

dumbo2007

Reaction score
given the amount of weight the wheels have to hold up....the air pressure needs to be quite high.....so that means thicker tyres....so more weight....so more air....so more rubber again.....until....BOOM!! :)

Buzz313th

Reaction score
But the tires are "unsprung" weight. The weight of the tires is very minor when considering the entire mass of the vehicle. Were the tires on the original lunar rover inflatable?

JB

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
given the amount of weight the wheels have to hold up....the air pressure needs to be quite high.....so that means thicker tyres....so more weight....so more air....so more rubber again.....until....BOOM!! :)

No. Better check your physics module, WHY you have pressure in the tires and how pressure relates to load. ;)

(The pressure difference between inside and outside is what counts for all environments.)

dumbo2007

Reaction score
My Physics module says that if there is no air in the tyre it will not hold up any weight and the more weight you put on the tyres the flatter they get.....but I better check that !!

But yeah I agree that the tyres could be inflatable - only that the pressure difference between inside the tyre and outside would be quite high and so you would need really strong rubber to hold in the pressure - that may mean adding more rubber - unless the tyre uses some very strong material.

Last edited:

TonyZ2525

Reaction score
So, who says there is no air in the tire?
Unless you got a leak or a flat tire there is no reason the tire wouldn't work.Of Course if you are worried about weight then a rubber tire which is much heavier than the metal band and mesh "wheels" on the lunar rover would not be the way to go on a low gravity planet or moon.Also rubber does not hold up too well in the continual heat and cold cycle of an airless moon and would probably crack and fail before too long.