Using Orbiter For Civil Air Patrol

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
I am just wondering the implementations for use in CAP. I asked my commander if he knew about it. He said he heard about it. I would like to know if there is a specific setup on a old laptop. How do i do i play without a num pad.

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
they arent that big... ok, well theres probably a way to get a mouse yoke going

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
they arent that big... ok, well theres probably a way to get a mouse yoke going

Is this going to be a one way conversation :lol:? Yes I am addicted to orbiter from school. :rofl:

Anyways. It will be nice to use key commands. The laptop i will be using does not have a key pad. I think i can get a wireless one. I just need some tips. What better way to teach aerospace than orbiter.

agentgonzo

Grounded since '09
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
orbiter.quorg.org
External Number Pad?
41rKov%2Bd1HL.jpg

Tacolev

Reaction score
Rising fury has the most prescient answer here. Try a combination of arrow keys and WASD to get attitude/throttle controls.

DanM

Поехали!
Reaction score
RisingFury and agentgonzo are both correct, it's ultimately up to you. Also, good luck in CAP. I'm a Cadet Airman First Class. :thumbup:

diogom

Reaction score
For a laptop? Use the [fn] key, bottom left (at least in mine). Pressing that with the keys that have the small numbers in their corner gives the same result as a numpad.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
This is a fairly small and very reliable joystick that you can use for orbiter. No software install is necessary. Just plug it in and play. I got mine new at Best Buy for $19.99 USD.

You can read about it here.

Here is a picture of it:
125129-logitech-attack-3-8260.jpg

My only beef with it is its lack of a rotating stick for rudder control, but that is manageable.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
This is a fairly small and very reliable joystick that you can use for orbiter. No software install is necessary. Just plug it in and play. I got mine new at Best Buy for $19.99 USD.

You can read about it here.

Here is a picture of it:

My only beef with it is its lack of a rotating stick for rudder control, but that is manageable.

That is the part i do not like about it. Any other suggestions?

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
You do not need that to navigate in orbit, if you have not noticed already. :dry:
I'm afraid you will not be able to everything you want in one joystick, you're going to have to make a compromise somewhere instead of lingering on that one perfect suggestion.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
You do not need that to navigate in orbit, if you have not noticed already. :dry:
I'm afraid you will not be able to everything you want in one joystick, you're going to have to make a compromise somewhere instead of lingering on that one perfect suggestion.

dont worry about it. I think that i can get around it. I will be putting orbiter on my 8GB flash drive.

Eli13

Fish Dreamer
Reaction score
Erm... I'm not quite sure i understand where the orbiter installation on a flash drive comes into play with finding a joystick.

Bonanza123d

Time Lord from Gallifrey
Reaction score
Erm... I'm not quite sure i understand where the orbiter installation on a flash drive comes into play with finding a joystick.

That was just a side thing. Before i get joystick. I will see if orbiter runs on the laptops they are offering to use.