Problem Uv maps

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys i recently started to use 3ds max to make my meshes and i used a tutorial online to map my uv's i mapped the uv's right as far as i know but they get all messed up in orbiter they work fine in 3ds max and anim8tor just when i load it into anim8tor it is messed

In anim8tor
capturejoq.jpg

capturenp.jpg

in orbiter

any ideas why this is doing it

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I had a similar problem with my development. Try ar81's mesh wizard, there is a way to select the group (for instance the base the the dish sets on) and have the texture applied to the "other" surface. What happend to me is the texture mapped to the "backside" of the mesh. The front side was invisible. It looks like a very similar problem...
If you haven't got it sorted by the time I get home, I may be able to better explain how I fixed mine.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I sometime have frontside/backside problems too, it seems to depend from the shape of the mesh. What is certain is that the "front/back" feature in Anim8tor isn't exported into Orbiter.

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
its a satellite i made it in 3ds max and made the uv's in 3ds max and the uv maps work fine in both anim8tor and 3ds max but not orbiter

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hmmm, that usually works very well, except that in some cases the lighting gets inverted... strange.

simcosmos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
simcosmos.planetaclix.pt
Alexw95, you probably need to provide a bit of more information for people to be able to help you ;)

Without such information I would 'shoot in the dark' and write that the issue might be related either with the way you used 3ds2msh or with the texture listing when converting the .3ds to .msh format... Will not advance much on these topics...

For now, maybe better if you could please share here a few details such as:

- When using 3ds2msh: have you used any graphical interface or have you used a command line? Have you checked the f=v parameter?

Other things to check (if the above is verified):

- How many textures are you using? (Is it a single texture or are there several textures for each part of the 3D model: base, support, antenna)

- What is (are) the exact name(s) of (each) texture?

- Right-click on the msh file and choose to open it with Notepad: then go to the bottom and copy+paste the materials and texture list here (or verify if the path / names of the textures on the msh are the same as the path / dds you would be expecting to see or if the material(s) is (are) associated with the correct texture, etc)

But again: I would check first if 3ds2msh was properly used and only then would check the other steps.

António

Last edited:

Alexw95

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Alexw95, you probably need to provide a bit of more information for people to be able to help you ;)

Without such information I would 'shoot in the dark' and write that the issue might be related either with the way you used 3ds2msh or with the texture listing when converting the .3ds to .msh format... Will not advance much on these topics...

For now, maybe better if you could please share here a few details such as:

- When using 3ds2msh: have you used any graphical interface or have you used a command line? Have you checked the f=v parameter?

Other things to check (if the above is verified):

- How many textures are you using? (Is it a single texture or are there several textures for each part of the 3D model: base, support, antenna)

- What is (are) the exact name(s) of (each) texture?

- Right-click on the msh file and choose to open it with Notepad: then go to the bottom and copy+paste the materials and texture list here (or verify if the path / names of the textures on the msh are the same as the path / dds you would be expecting to see or if the material(s) is (are) associated with the correct texture, etc)

But again: I would check first if 3ds2msh was properly used and only then would check the other steps.

António

I converted with both F=uv check and unchecked different results but still not mapped properly

I am using one texture and the name is Satellite.dds and it is the same name as it is in the .msh

simcosmos

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
simcosmos.planetaclix.pt
Hummm, not sure what to write (EDIT: have you tried just 'f=v' instead of the cases you have mentioned? : f=uv or of no parameter?). If you wish, feel free to share here (temporary attachment that you can later delete) a zip file with an .an8 file (or a 3ds file) containing only the 3D model (plus respective texture), as displayed in the original post (you can protect the zip with a password and send me such password by private message, if wishing to restrict the access).

Then, when possible, I would try to convert it myself using 3ds2msh: if the model is converted OK here (if it is correctly displayed in Orbiter) I would send it back to you and write here the exact line that have written to convert it.

António

Last edited:

michael_GR

Reaction score
what is the size of your dds texture? (in pixels, width X height)