Video Tutorial: DG4 to ISS

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
Both the Original DG and DGIV give me the same trouble. Tex is using the DG IV in his tutorial so that isn't the issue. At 6:49 of his 2nd part to his video he somehow looks 180 deg away from the direction of travel in the DGIV.

Is there a config setting maybe that removes this limitation?
There is no config setting. The camera range is hard coded into the vessel module. I am not in a position to download the video right now but when I can, I'll have a look.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Both the Original DG and DGIV give me the same trouble. Tex is using the DG IV in his tutorial so that isn't the issue. At 6:49 of his 2nd part to his video he somehow looks 180 deg away from the direction of travel in the DGIV.

Is there a config setting maybe that removes this limitation?

Ahh, I see why it appears that way. At that time in the video, ISS was off to my right side more than behind me. If you'll notice, I didn't turn the ship to face away from ISS for the burn until after that part of the video. ;)

rthorbur

Reaction score
Ok, I see where I was getting confused. At 8:07 you are facing V(ISS) and then you turn to face the ISS which is not actually directly behind you as I had assumed. In fact at 8:29 you run into the limitation yourself but it's not an issue as the ISS is not directly behind you. At that point you can see exactly what I was describing, the HUD indicator is at the very edge of the screen.

You'd actually have a bit of trouble aligning (while looking backwards) then I guess if the ISS happened to be presisly behind you I guess?

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Well, if you're closure rate to ISS is not very high you could just use your retro thrusters on the nose of the DG4. If it is, just fire them sooner than you would the main engines. That way you can approach ISS facing it.

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Hi Folks,

I remade my popular DG4 to ISS video tutorial which covers an entire flight from launch to docking at the ISS using the scenario:

DeltaGliderIV --> Earth Scenery --> Landed KSC departure to ISS

dg-iss1.jpg
dg-iss2.jpg

dg-iss3.jpg
dg-iss4.jpg

This tutorial is focused for beginners, however advanced Orbinauts should also enjoy this one. You should have both Orbiter Sound 3.5 and Delta Glider IV installed to fully benefit from this tutorial! You will learn how to:

• Establish a launch window to ISS
  • Program the DG4 computer for take-off
  • Align orbital plane to ISS
  • Set a rendezvous point
  • Syncronize orbits
  • Dock with ISS

WATCH on Vimeo

OR

DOWNLOAD the tutorial here!

File Size:
257 MB
Video Length: 31 minutes 57 seconds

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Anyone get a chance to watch this? Curious to see if it was better/made sense/easy to follow, etc. Also, don't miss the end compilation! :p

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
Just watched it - excellent work, Tex. Very clear and and nice to follow. Now I finally know how to do docking by the numbers :).

PS: You'll be pleased to learn that the DG in the current beta has a big HUD cue for the nosecone ...

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Just watched it - excellent work, Tex. Very clear and and nice to follow. Now I finally know how to do docking by the numbers :).

PS: You'll be pleased to learn that the DG in the current beta has a big HUD cue for the nosecone ...

Thanks Martin! Good to hear about the HUD cue for the nose cone. :)

Nice video...good nose cone smash...
352j242.gif

I love this part:http://img531.imageshack.us/flvplayer.swf?f=Tdgprankoi9
(warning prank video)

haha, got my tongue twisted on that one! Thanks for watching. :cheers:

Oceanic

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
i loved your reaction after you smashed the nose cone :rofl:

wish you had made this video a year ago, it is perfect for beginners! :cheers:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Oops? There's no oops in space... Seriously dude, great job on the video. With your help I've been able to greatly reduce my fuel consuption from KSC to ISS, you probably saved me 4-5% (I can lean pretty heavy on the engines sometimes).

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Just got a chance to watch. Nice job on the video. Very detailed, would have loved to have this when I was starting out.

After seeing you smash the nosecone, I don't feel so bad about my last mistake. Had a great mission, about 10 days long, adding modules to my station. Deorbited the XR5 and was actually as on-target for a KSC landing as I've ever been. I was so stoked that it wasn't until I heard the belly of the craft scraping along runway 33 that I realized what I had forgotten...

Again, great job on the tutorial!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
i loved your reaction after you smashed the nose cone :rofl:

wish you had made this video a year ago, it is perfect for beginners! :cheers:

Haha, I had to have a little fun with it! Thanks for watching!:cheers:

Oops? There's no oops in space... Seriously dude, great job on the video. With your help I've been able to greatly reduce my fuel consuption from KSC to ISS, you probably saved me 4-5% (I can lean pretty heavy on the engines sometimes).

Glad I was able to help, thanks for watching! :speakcool:

Just got a chance to watch. Nice job on the video. Very detailed, would have loved to have this when I was starting out.

After seeing you smash the nosecone, I don't feel so bad about my last mistake. Had a great mission, about 10 days long, adding modules to my station. Deorbited the XR5 and was actually as on-target for a KSC landing as I've ever been. I was so stoked that it wasn't until I heard the belly of the craft scraping along runway 33 that I realized what I had forgotten...

Again, great job on the tutorial!

:lol: I've done that too! Thank you for the comments n122vu! ;)

IthyStPete

Reaction score
Wow, that was an awesome tutorial. I know how to rendezvous with things in orbit now! Massive thanks.

kevinvr

Reaction score
Just finished watching this tutorial. I agree with Oceanic, wish I had seen it a few moths ago, but then again I did learn a lot by making my own mistakes and had quite a few atmospheric burn-ups :)
I also really enjoyed watching the end when the astronaut took the fuel cargo box to the ISS. I want to try doing that as soon as I've learned how to do a proper EVA.

Anyhow, thanks for a great video.

I'm still trying to think of some way to peruade you to do the return flight (ISS to Cape canaveral) ... he he :)
There's a lot of desroyed DGIV's and dead astonauts around from all my re-entry explosions and crashes.... :)

Thanks again for a great video!!!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Wow, that was an awesome tutorial. I know how to rendezvous with things in orbit now! Massive thanks.

Thanks for your comments! I'm glad to hear you found it useful. I've always been a visual person myself so a video like this when I learned it would have been great for sure. Thanks again! :cheers:

Just finished watching this tutorial. I agree with Oceanic, wish I had seen it a few moths ago, but then again I did learn a lot by making my own mistakes and had quite a few atmospheric burn-ups :)
I also really enjoyed watching the end when the astronaut took the fuel cargo box to the ISS. I want to try doing that as soon as I've learned how to do a proper EVA.

Anyhow, thanks for a great video.

I'm still trying to think of some way to peruade you to do the return flight (ISS to Cape canaveral) ... he he :)
There's a lot of desroyed DGIV's and dead astonauts around from all my re-entry explosions and crashes.... :)

Thanks again for a great video!!!

Thanks Kevin! EVA is not hard, just use the rotation and translation thruster keys you would normally use for any spacecraft. I might do some other tutorial videos such as reentry and moon flight soon. Be sure to also check out flytandem's TransX video tutorials HERE if you want another challenge. :)

kevinvr

Reaction score
Thanks Tex,
Yes, Iv'e read all the Harmsway tutorials and go play in space, but I got lost using go play in space. I'm struggling with the IMFD with the DGIV. I am trying just to get myself comfortable flying one spacecraft before I try the others and DGIV is real easy and user friendly. I will download some of those videos and watch them when I get some time :)
"I might do some other tutorial videos such as reentry and moon flight soon."
OH Yeah!!, looking forward to that! :)
Thanks for the patience and help,
Have a great weekend!

EJ316

Reaction score
Just watched the tutorial and it's awesome! As most people have been saying, it would have been great to have this when I was just starting out, but I still learned a lot from it :D I think it would be great if you made a return trip tutorial too, personally it took me much longer to learn re-entry and landing.

OPEN YOUR NOSE CONE FOLKS!

Tex

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Retired Staff
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Thanks for watching EJ316, glad you enjoyed it! I had hoped it could be enjoyed by beginners and more advanced Orbitnauts alike. :)