Question Visiting KSC for launch

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
Hello,
I have been planning a trip to the US just for watching a Space Shuttle launch. Been a dream for a long time to watch it fly. Now that there are only like four left, its all the more urgent. Of course, you would have to be a spacenut like me to get the reason behind travelling over 13000km to come and stay for like 3-4 days to watch the launch :D. .. Of course I could have had much better vacations for the money if I had chosen other .. nearer .. locations .. but hey .. you don't get to see rocketlight from anywhere else.

Anyway, I have some kind of a plan in the works along with a budget. I am planning to shoot for the May 14th with me reaching there on 13th and leaving on 17th to provide some margin. Total costs came to more or less $2000 with tickets, Hotel booking ( someplace in Titusville ) and transportation(approximate). How much daily expenses should I be expecting in terms of food and stuff?

I know that shuttle launches are an unreliable business. Travelling all the way to the US is different from waking up at 3 in the morning to watch a shuttle launch only to end up seeing it scrubbed :). The length of the stay was chosen assuming a launch delay. Suppose the launch does go off on time .. what all are the good attractions nearby that I can go to?

I also have this idea of staying there only till 15th or so and then returning to Orlando and visiting some good places there. But since I can't be sure of the launch taking place, only way I see would be to initially book for the whole period and later cancel and bear any penalty that is incurred and go off to Orlando.

So... Any recommendations or suggestions?

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
If you're looking for attrcations in the event of a scrub, stay in Orlando, like most tourists do. I takes about 45 minutes to get to the Cape on a good day, but since it is a shuttle launch be prepared for traffic. In Orlando, you have Disney, Seo World, and Universal Studios/Islands of Adventure.

Star Voyager

Space Shuttle Refugee
Reaction score
Most likely. There are buses that go to from Orlando specifically to the KSC Visitor's Complex, but I don't know how much it would cost.

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
Hey,
Just found this:

http://www.kennedyspacecentertours.net/?event=offer.detail&offerId=11559

$115 all inclusive for watching launch.

As it costs $56 from http://www.kennedyspacecenter.com/space-shuttle-launch-viewing-tickets.aspx .. I guess its pretty reasonable as it includes transportation.

But public transportation to/from the Cape costs some $15-$20 by bus .. will have to research this a bit more to confirm and get the details though. I am looking into this also as those coming for the launch will only be able to use their Visitor Complex tickets at a later date.

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
Staying at Orlando was something I hadn't considered. It would help cut costs a lot as hotels near KSC like going cutthroat on launch days.

Thanks for the help StarVoyager :) . Much appreciated.