Humor Ways to kill a UMMU

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
Uragan does that job good.
It's not UMmu-compatible, but it turns EVERYthing (UMmu for example) into a mess of wrecks.

ghostrunner01

Reaction score
I have a good one. I was orbiting the moon and dropping my orbit every once in a while. When I was down to about 10 feet off the ground in an orbit I ejected. The DGIV kept going but the poor pilot snapped his neck as he shot out and slammed into the ground.

crazydogg

Reaction score
undressing on the surface of venus
will transform it into a barbecue compressed :rofl:

Aldrasio

Reaction score
When I first got UCGO, I ran the Arrow Auto-Land demo scenario. After the landing was completed, I unloaded my cargo and immediately selected a UMmu for EVA to unpack the cargo. After deployment, I switched to him and saw that he was dead because I forgot to deploy the crew lift first. :cool:

OrbiterSpore

Clean Furry, of A Dying Breed
Reaction score
Website
steamcommunity.com
1. Launch reentry scenario of ATV-Pegase.
2. De-orbit incorrectly and separate the capsule.
3. "Forget" to activate auto-chute.
4. :hello:
5. ... :OMG: :hitit:
6. Big red letters... D.E.A.D.:goodnight:

Grover

Saturn V Misfire
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
make them walk outside a breathable base without the spacesuit, to se if the imaginary airlock will stop them

Pinguinboy

50.000 years old lifeform
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
If this isn't already mentioned, you should float your UMMU into a gas giant. It's a tragic death, because of highly dangerous gravity and pressure, plus some high temperature atmosphere and wind storms of nearly a thousand kilometer per hour. Just count out your luck.

FuzzyLogic

Reaction score
Well, it's not a "way" to kill an UMmu, but a rather tragic story that happened while I was orbiting Europa last friday.

After a long trip, I had completed my first voyage to Jupiter. There's a nice landing spot on Europa so I decided to land there. As usual wherever the Arrow Freighter is involved, I had sent a DGIV before for the flag-planting, beacon-readying ritual and was ready to land the mothership.

After burning retrograde in the general direction of the landing site, I decided to warp time ahead a little to speed up things. When the NAV computer recognized the beacon and the appropiate altitude of 30k was reached, I hit 'R' to slow down, engage the autopilot and watch the show.

But, then, nothing happened. Time won't slow down, so I hit 'R' twice, thrice, six or seven times more. I was already cursing all you addon makers for your bug-ridden addons when I realized I had been hitting not the 'R' key, but the 'E' key all along.

It all happened in a matter of seconds. Time set to normal, autopilot engaged, I switched to the ext view to see the consequences of my mistake: A long stream of UMmus slowly plunging to their deaths.

'But...' -I thought- 'they have parachutes. They'll be safe'
Europa has no atmosphere to speak of.
'...Maybe some of them will survive, after all it's only a small fraction of Earth's gravity!'
Uh, they were already moving FAST when they EVAed. It's also a 30 kilometers fall. Don't count on it.
'...I'll go fetch them with the Azure!'
You'll go fetch their corpses with the Azure. And they'll land miles away from the base. They're screwed.
'...Oh, ok.'

So, bad news is that six brave pioneers lost their lives in the icy europan surface. Good news is that I won't have to worry about oxygen in the flight back.

DGIVPilot

Reaction score
Once I ejected from a DGIV shortly after takeoff from Brighton Beach. I forgot that parachutes don't work in a vacuum. :facepalm: SPLAT. (This was an accident.)

Also, I de-orbited a UMMU in Mars orbit (on purpose) using only translation RCS. Surprisingly, he survived re-entry, but subsequently slammed in to the Martian surface at 500 m/s, causing death.

Last edited:

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Once I ejected from a DGIV shortly after takeoff from Brighton Beach. I forgot that parachutes don't work in a vacuum. :facepalm: SPLAT. (This was an accident.)

Also, I de-orbited a UMMU in Mars orbit (on purpose) using only translation RCS. Surprisingly, he survived re-entry, but subsequently slammed in to the Martian surface at 500 m/s, causing death.
I like purposely de-orbiting UMMUs, surprisingly they rarely die, perhaps they are too small to catch a lot of air?

Darren

johan

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
On my first trip to Mars, I was very careful to load up on enough oxygen to last the trip. then I launched from KSC - and once in LEO, I realized that my launch window hadn't actually arrived yet - so I thought, what the hell, I'll just wait in orbit.

So I time-warped until a couple weeks had passed and my launch window had comfortably arrived, calculated my launch with IMFD and shot off into the dark. About halfway there, when I slowed down time for the first course correction... I realized - oh shucks, my 2 weeks of orbiting cost me too much oxygen.

So I EVA'd most of the crew (about 10 people) before making my course-correction burn. The 3 guys that made it to Mars actually made it, but the others are probably still orbiting the sun. Well, their corpses are.

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is a new one:

I was doing these cool stunts with the DGIV, and for some reason I ejected. I fell and fell and fell. I said "Hey! why is the parachute not opening" Shortly after I heard a big Whumfff. I then saw big red letters that said DEAD!

Pinguinboy

50.000 years old lifeform
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Here is a new one:

I was doing these cool stunts with the DGIV, and for some reason I ejected. I fell and fell and fell. I said "Hey! why is the parachute not opening" Shortly after I heard a big Whumfff. I then saw big red letters that said DEAD!

Heh, good job! :thumbup:
Should be handy to press "J", or another UMMU-life will be killed. :lol:

HAL9001

super-ninja-orbinaut
Reaction score
I once had tank-problems with a DGIV and so only rcs worked anymore, I deorbited the pilot by rotating the DGIV in the right angle and using the emergency set-burn as retro-grade-burn.

DEAD

hribek

Reaction score
Get a UMmu on Earth. Strap on a turbopack. Press D and delete to get altitude. Set descent rate to (-)6 m/s. 5 m/s is survivable, 6 m/s kills. The funny part is that as you hit the ground, the turbopack will bump and fly to 50-100 meters. Then it hits the dead UMmu at the heart. (disclaimer: tested at Wideawake).

Mojave

60% Ethanol
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Get a UMmu on Earth. Strap on a turbopack. Press D and delete to get altitude. Set descent rate to (-)6 m/s. 5 m/s is survivable, 6 m/s kills. The funny part is that as you hit the ground, the turbopack will bump and fly to 50-100 meters. Then it hits the dead UMmu at the heart. (disclaimer: tested at Wideawake).

Funny thing, I also noticed that the turbopack does that when the UMMU dies.

-Takeoff in a DGIV straight up, EVA the crew and load the suborbital autopilot.