Question What kind of car do you drive or wish to own?

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, use a car with lots of volume for short distance trips to be filled with fuel during start up. A Leopard 2 tank only needs 80 liters of Diesel fuel for starting the engine.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Aston Martin DB7. It's getting on a bit now, but it's still a solid drive, and goes like hell when pushed. My dad gave me it when he bought a DB9. Now he's looking to get himself a DBS or a V12 Vantage, so I'll likely wind up with the DB9 he has at the minute. A half-decent Christmas present, I shouldn't wonder.

I see no real reason to get an electric car until we refine where the electricity to power it comes from.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Man, you guys got somewhat fancy cars... I drive a 1985 VW Golf II here in bosnia... the thing wouldn't be allowed anywhere near the swiss border, though... :lol:

V8Li

Reaction score
2001 Ford Focus 1.8TD 75 PS (I don't like to call it "my car", I'd like a rear-wheel drive car). The car has been rock-solid up until now, 140000Km on the clock.

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Those cars are great though. Back to the future is one of the best 1980's movies.

I agree with the movie reference. With the understanding that they're somewhat overplayed. However... those cars... have you ever driven one? They are, without doubt, the single worst piece of engineering ingenuity I have ever been inside. And they're not a single piece, either, bits of lotus and ford and allsorts in there. The damn thing handles like a drunken cow with it's back legs tied to it's front legs and it's tail up it's arse - though apparently while it was in the early development stages, it handled quite well... something went wrong.

Unfinished stainless steel, too. Looks beautiful, until you scratch it. And you will.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The best car of that era was IMHO the Lamborghini Countach...

Lamborghini_Countach.png

If you ever wondered where Lucas got the inspiration for the Star Destroyer...

flying coffin

Reaction score
I drive a 2003 4 door Chevy Tracker. 1.6 liter 4 cyl. 0-60 in about 30 seconds,
but has some fun go-slo mods.... rock sliders, 3 inches of lift, 235 X 75 BFG A/T tires. It will out climb a jeep up a hill out in the desert.

My other car is a 20' 1988 Fleetwood Jamboree Rallye RV, which I may be living in if I don't find a job soon.

E

ex-orbinaut

1983, Isuzu engined, Chevrolet Trooper. Bought it for one dollar in 1998. Reconstituted painstakingly from a fire. Irreplacable, indestructible.

clickypens

Orbinauta
Reaction score
1983, Isuzu engined, Chevrolet Trooper. Bought it for one dollar in 1998. Reconstituted painstakingly from a fire. Irreplacable, indestructible.

I once drove a 1989 Trooper. The thing was literally indestructible. Once, I was driving through the Sierra Madre Occidental (western mountain range in mexico), it was only firing on three cylinders but it got me 2000 miles back home. Was historic.

Right now, I take the bus or walk everywhere. I'm looking at getting a bicycle, though in a few months when I save up for a nice one. Anyone got any suggestions for a good bike made for the street but can take a few bumps?

pattersoncr

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I once drove a 1989 Trooper. The thing was literally indestructible. Once, I was driving through the Sierra Madre Occidental (western mountain range in mexico), it was only firing on three cylinders but it got me 2000 miles back home. Was historic.

Right now, I take the bus or walk everywhere. I'm looking at getting a bicycle, though in a few months when I save up for a nice one. Anyone got any suggestions for a good bike made for the street but can take a few bumps?

the Sierra Madre? Did you have your badges?

Saturn V

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Main ride is a heavily modified '95 Dodge Avenger. No aero kit (though it does have a spoiler and lowered front airdam). Cold air intake, rechipped computer on a retro-fitted Mitsubishi 300GT engine (the cars were both built by Mitsu, so the swap was pretty straight forward and the torque is unearthly). Magna-Flow exhaust and a sh_t-load of other little performance parts I've long forgotten about.Speedo reads to 165, but the fastest I've ever run it for any length of time was about 120.

Stock factory Indy Red paint (still deep, rich & glossy). Full leather cockpit, 400 watt Kenwood head with 6-way Bose speakers. Looks essentially like an extremely well maintained stock Avenger with a slightly more aggressive stance.

An hour of open highway in this car has helped me unwind on many a day, and yes, it's my daily driver.

I've probably spent about 20 grand above and beyond what I originally paid for the car and I'd never get back a quarter of my investment if I sold it, but I still really enjoy driving the car, so it's staying with me for the forseeable future.

Still manages 21 mpg in the city and 28 highway. All in all, not bad for a 15 year old car.