What music are you listening to?

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow, not so many classical buffs here!

When I was in High School in the 80's I realized there was A TON of good classical music already written that needed exploring. And symphonies, operas and the like are very long and complicated, which suited me just fine. They take me years to fully appreciate. So I've been a big geek of classical stuff since 1985 or so. On my list:

• Mozart - anything, but especially the piano concertos are nice
  • Beethoven - esp. the piano stuff
  • Tchaikovsky - symphonies and ballets. TRY HIS SYMPHONY #5. (Kind of like a rocket blasting off, I'll say!)
  • Rimski-Korsakov
  • Mahler - anything. Just bought tix to see Mahler 8 at Benaroya Hall.
  • Dvorak - great variety of work here. Melodic.
  • Debussy - his piano work is quite something.
  • Wagner - changed the world to suit his needs. Here you can get 14 hours of Der Ring, one great big story set to addictive music.
  • Misc. operas: Bizet's Carmen, Gilbert&Sullivan, Verdi's work.
  • Other misc: Baroque favorites, Ralph Vaughan Williams, Copland
I think you'll understand, being Orbinauts: When I tell people I like classical, I'm seen as an odd duck. :lol: Ah, there's so much to learn...

What NOT to listen to if you're feeling depressed:
Last movement of Mahler's "Das Lied von der Erde"

Flying out of Earth orbit?
Grab Gustav Holst's THE PLANETS. (Mars and Jupiter are particularly famous)

Enough for one post.

Ciao
MT

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
MT, great selection. I like classical music in LEO and around the Moon, especially Bach's wacky organ pieces. Holst's Mars is good for any occasion, not just going to Mars. Dramatic for reentry is the "Night on Bald Mountain" by Mussorgski. Thanks for your playlist, I'll check some of them out.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I've always liked Bach, but that's like the person who knows nothing about wine and just drinks the sweet stuff. Classical music is a world of snobbiness and it takes a while to speak the language.

Meanwhile, Metallica's new album came out yeaterday and I'm diggin' it. Sounds more old-school.

Belisarius

Obsessed with reality. Why?
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I honestly have no idea what you're saying about snobbiness... I "know" nothing at all about music, but I like what I like.

MajorTom

Ker-splash!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I've always liked Bach, but that's like the person who knows nothing about wine and just drinks the sweet stuff. Classical music is a world of snobbiness and it takes a while to speak the language.

Meanwhile, Metallica's new album came out yeaterday and I'm diggin' it. Sounds more old-school.

It's definitely possible to be a classical nut and not be a snob...a geek, maybe. I don't look down on folks who don't like classical...I consider them "normal." ;)

BTW I am a BEER drinker. :cheers:

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
So I've listened to the new Metallica album once through, and I declare it: acceptable. Old school fans will like it, but probably not love it. It's good to hear Metallica getting back to their roots, some of these tunes really rock, some throwback to the 80's thrash days.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
So I've listened to the new Metallica album once through, and I declare it: acceptable. Old school fans will like it, but probably not love it. It's good to hear Metallica getting back to their roots, some of these tunes really rock, some throwback to the 80's thrash days.

You have not heard trash, until you've heard Sodom, Overkill or Grave Digger...

Metallica had always been pretty on the soft end of the trash spectrum.

And nothing beats the "Tunes of War" album of Grave Digger, when you are driving home drunk from your favorite metal club late at night. I remember an occasion, where we stopped right next to a Mercedes convertible with a older upper class pair inside... You could really see how they wished the traffic light to turn green, while 4 drunken metal heads and a driver had been singing/growling "Scotland United" loud and out of key.

Andy44

Addon Developer
Reaction score
LOL I assume you mean "thrash" and not "trash"! But you know what I mean about old time Metallica...

BTW, don't drive drunk! In the US it's a serious thing to get caught; I had assumed in Germany they just shoot you on the spot, given how serious you guys take your traffic laws. :)

I wish I knew of a good metal club around here.

Hashy

Reaction score
Right now I got goin..

Spirit in the Sky, Norman Greenbaum,

All Along The Watchtower by Jimi Hendrix was before that..

Just switched to, Eve of Destruction by Barret McGuire

Obviously its Woodstock music hehe =p

Summer In The City is next, by Lovin' Spoonful

Whats next...? Could be anything..

Transformers: The Movie Soundtrack ( the original movie, not the new Michael "Pearl" Bay one.. =p )

After that.. Maybe some N.W.A , or some Battlestar Galactica soundtrack ( the new one)

If you think my taste in music is crazy in its variety, then your right, but my sister is MUCH worse. =p

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
BTW, don't drive drunk! In the US it's a serious thing to get caught; I had assumed in Germany they just shoot you on the spot, given how serious you guys take your traffic laws. :)

LOL, that is why we always randomly select one poor guy, who has to stay dry during the evening to drive us home. ;)

And in Germany, they don't shoot you. They just make your life hell themselves. The rule is: If you drive too fast through Munich, you end in Flensburg.

In Flensburg is still the central database for traffic law violations. You gather points there and when you broke the high score, you loose your driving license and have to pass a medical-psychological exam, called "idiot test" in German everyday language.

as you can even score for driving over a red traffic light as biker, you can loose your driving license already before you had been able to make it. :cheers:

And damn, it is called thrash? I always heard it spoken as trash here.

Cobalt

Reaction score
Right this very second, I'm listening to Tommy Gurrero's song Organism, from the album Soul Food Taqueria.

James.Denholm

Addon ponderer
Reaction score

Ha, maybe the people you talk with hold it in low regard...

I'm currently in the process of "acquiring" some Mozart CDs. Having recently watched 2001 - A Space Odyssey, I think I'll work out what songs were used in that as well...

clive bradbury

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When eminent biologist and author Lewis Thomas was asked what message he would choose to send from Earth into outer space in the Voyager spacecraft, he answered, "I would send the complete works of Johann Sebastian Bach." After a pause, he added, "But that would be boasting."[/FONT]

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
:lol:

Yeah, it's definitaly called thrash. I see the mistake often enough though. It is even more confusing because there actually IS a genre called trash metal (or was, I'm not aware that any album on the sector was released since the middle 80's), it's kind of a punk/metal crossover. General rules: not more than 4 cords per song, only 4/4 allowed, doubla bass and dum-pa dum-pa all the way through, and of course growls. It well deserves the name. :blink:

Anyways, I'll be faster if I list what I don't listen to. It's trash metal ;) , contemporary swiss folk an Schlager. I can live with all the rest, allthough Black, Death and Pagan Metal as well as Jazz and old school rock (think: Led Zepelin and allmighty Pink Floyd) rank highest.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I like classical as well. Mozart is my favorite, Symphony number 40 and Eine Kleine Nachmusik along with Rondo Alla Turca, but I also like Beethoven and Bach.

I've also been known to sneak in some John Cage now and then...:blink:

SiberianTiger

News Sifter
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
tigerofsiberia.livejournal.com
Found recently this album, enjoying the music. It's especially good to use as a background theme when flying in Orbiter.

tcg2_500.png

download link
mirror 1
mirror 2

This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 3.0 Unported

Genre: Electronic, Ambient, Downtempo, New Age, Chillout
Release date: Feb 30, 2009
Disk producer: Russia
Time Length: 1:12:50

Track list:
01 - Green Sun - Andromeda
02 - Sooslix - The Cliff
03 - Max Loginov - Secret Island
04 - Sel-p - By My Side
05 - Neophyt - The Day You Left
06 - Oleg Sirenko - Timestream
07 - Pianochocolate - Cold Days