When and If Orbiter gets Multiplayer, What would you like to do or be able to do?

Mandella

Space Cultist
Donator
Reaction score
I'm with the small is better group. I have no interest in trying to share a universe with every other Orbiter enthusiast, but I would love to have a shareable "space" that a couple of friends and I could use to buzz (for lack of a better word) around in. Over LAN would be great, although over the internet would be great so as to include out of town friends.

Some sort of voting system for time acceleration would also be a plus, of course.

squeaky024

Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
How would that work when I keep refusing timewarp for over two hours during a final orbit and entry? I think people would soon get fed up. These ideas have been discussed many, many times and to date there isn't a workable solution.

If people have ideas, want to get OMP working fully then the source code can be made available. To date Face has had a lot of issues with people saying want they want but unable to assist with the coding. Maybe someone on this thread can fix that?

The point is this would work for a smaller group of friends or something, not a global server where anyone can join in. And besides, since when does it take two hours to make a reentry, I can de-orbit and land in 20-30 minutes with warping up to 100k altitude.

I'm with the small is better group. I have no interest in trying to share a universe with every other Orbiter enthusiast, but I would love to have a shareable "space" that a couple of friends and I could use to buzz (for lack of a better word) around in. Over LAN would be great, although over the internet would be great so as to include out of town friends.

Some sort of voting system for time acceleration would also be a plus, of course.

And of course to bring this back to flight simulator as an example, most of the servers are some guy hosting for another 1-5 people that they know. Eventually there could be a setting that the host can use for the type of time warping, the request method or some other way that each player controls a time bubble or something.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score

This is exactly the kind of thing I was thinking of 90's style LAN parties.

Darren

andysim

Reaction score
EvE is Icelands biggest Export. Followed closely by Volcanic ash. Lol only kidding But I do have a 2 year old Eve account. Kinda like to keep Orbiter offline but if there where some co-op missions or something that would be great.

Agent0ne

"When Fantasy Meets Reality".
Reaction score
Website
esfa-board.blogspot.com
Orbiter brings the future into the present!

"When and If Orbiter gets Multiplayer,
What would you like to do or be able to do?"

What a nice topic!

I will adress this subject,
not solely under the light of Online Multiplayers,
but rather in the perspective of future developments to Orbiter.

Because Orbiter should not trade its complexity
for accessing Internet Online Multiplayers realm.

First;
The viewpoint ought to embrace a broader picture,
And in this case it is the entire universe (as navigable space).

Therefore, lets start by a galaxy standpoint! (star systems)

I am not really in favor of "exporting" any sort of "economic system"
into space. This is something that installed itself on the Earth,
in its particular context. And since it brings all sorts of
problems which are not really interesting to deal with,
lets learn from our mistakes.

Cooperation and collaboration are a lot better
than competition and ownership!

That being layed down;

- For depicting reality, the physical structures has to offer interactivity.

In "Orbiter Universe"; physical structures are Bodies Of Influence
(Natural Objects). Meaning all sorts of things that are found in space.
Suns, planets, moons, asteroids, meteorites, dust, etc.
All these things have an influence and are under the influence of other's
(gravity).

Right now, each of these physical structures (bodies of influence)
are dead, innert, static.

In the future, these Natural Objects must hold or contain
Specific Characteristics. Like components, matter, substances,
constituents, elements and a corresponding active environment.

So, when you have reached any of these planetoids,
you can actually scan and discover what kind of "properties",
attributes and characteristics are there.

1-
And then, some particular apparatuses could be installed
(above or on the ground) for gathering and transforming
elements into resources (nutrients, energy, material).
This would give a purpose for installing ground bases
and/or space stations...

Because, the simplest space station requires maintenance.
Vessels and crews need constant support and supply.

This part involves basic knowledge about geology, minerals, gases, etc.

2-
The "corresponding active environment" must be dynamic.
Meaning some particular components to planetoids
are producing very distinct effects. Like corrosion,
or magnetism, for example.

If a vessel gets close to a planetoid which has a strong magnetic field,
its instruments will be affected.
Or if a vessel tries to land on a surface envelopped
in a corrosive atmosphere, damages will result.

Even some sectors could hide unexpected "effects";
Singularities, some positive, others negative.

In this context, communication relay stations could not be installed
just anywhere.

This would give purposes to exploratory missions and rescue missions...

This part involves basic knowledge about physics, and chemistry.

3-
Atrificial Objects, which has no influence whatsoever
(Vessels, Components, etc), they must respond to contact,
collision with other objects. And repair must be done afterward.

Atrificial Objects (Vessels, Components, etc), must be able
to maintain communication with a Central Space NAV Control,
via a network of satelites (SatComm).
Otherwise they are lost and require rescue!
Which network has to be installed and maintained.

Whormhole Gates must require energy to function, and a standard crew
to operate. Both these demand constant supplying,
otherwise they cease to function.

4-
Interactivity with other Users (AI or eventually other persons via internet),
would establish itself on sharing information, on providing/exchanging
services and/or resources.

The general goal would not be to gather the most gold,
nor to possess the most ressources, neither to destroy your neighbour
or anything that sort.
But rather to perform at establishing a well organised
and functionning space fleet.

Conclusion

Much like any Role Playing Game (RPG), or SimCity (Maxis),
or even Alpha Centuri (Sid Meier),
the "Orbiter Universe" would present much interactivity.
Thus, the potential becomes practically limitless.

The innerent complexity to Orbiter must be respected and even enhenced.
Because, this is a simulator which is worth being called one!
And, for once, this is for adults (mature people).

*As a final word;

I would like to outline the remarkable work of BURCHISMO!

His entire space operation fleet system is absolutely marvelous.
Everything is coherent and very simple,
yet extremely detailed and dynamic!

These are awesome to work with.

Last edited:

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
The point is this would work for a smaller group of friends or something, not a global server where anyone can join in. And besides, since when does it take two hours to make a reentry, I can de-orbit and land in 20-30 minutes with warping up to 100k altitude.

Exactly, I like to have my last orbit and the entire entry and landing in real time.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
To solve the seemingly impossible problem of time warp. Why not just use WarpMFD or limit timewarp to the ship of whoever is using it? You'd have to do transfers differently but whatever.

Anyway with that topic (hopefully) buried lets get back on topic. What about running a refuel station in MEO to help assist other players on their way to other planets? You could use a dragonfly to take care of spent tanks and have XR5s bring up new ones.
Or what about being able to repair other players ships. Imagine running KSC and you can take others ships into hangars to get them repaired and refueled. Or what about being in charge of getting shuttle missions ready? You could use the crawler to take the shuttle out to the launch pad ready for its rendezvous with the ISS. Or how about setting up a base with a couple of other people and using it to assist ships on their way to the further planets.

I have too many ideas o.0

Darren

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
To solve the seemingly impossible problem of time warp. Why not just use WarpMFD or limit timewarp to the ship of whoever is using it? You'd have to do transfers differently but whatever.
At the point you're throwing physics out the window like that, why even bother using Orbiter?

garyw

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
blog.gdwnet.com
Or what about being able to repair other players ships. Imagine running KSC and you can take others ships into hangars to get them repaired and refueled.
Darren

I already do that with my missions. At the end of every mission the vessel has to be towed off the runway to a hangar where it's inspected, repaired and turned around. OK I don't have a UMMU with a spanner set but the concept isn't all that far off of your idea. Woo482 even did a work platform mesh to cover a ship much like a shuttle in an OPF.

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
:eek:rlyflag:
Then why are half the add-ons for orbiter Science Fiction?

Darren
I mean in multiplayer. If you want to have a sci-fi multiplayer experience, there are several existing programs that can do that for you--why add multiplayer to orbiter to accomplish something that you can already have?

That said, disabling time acceleration entirely and using warp to go long distances could allow for an initial multiplayer framework to be developed and tested (similar to how OMP is now), although a workable final design will probably need to incorporate plans for acceleration from the beginning.

Pyromaniac605

Reaction score
I mean in multiplayer. If you want to have a sci-fi multiplayer experience, there are several existing programs that can do that for you--why add multiplayer to orbiter to accomplish something that you can already have?

That said, disabling time acceleration entirely and using warp to go long distances could allow for an initial multiplayer framework to be developed and tested (similar to how OMP is now), although a workable final design will probably need to incorporate plans for acceleration from the beginning.
Because orbiter is free. :tiphat: What about a vote as said before but it freezes the ships for those who don't want time warp temporarily? Because the way I see it you would only want time warp while waitng for a launch window or because of a long trip anyway, so if you didn't want time warp freezing temporarily shouldn't be much of an issue.

Darren

Face

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
*sigh*

[RANT]
Multiplayer for Orbiter is possible. But only if folks stop talking about playing together and start working together towards a common goal of a multiplayer framework.

As long as half of the people are day-dreaming about it and the other half of the people is bashing them because of it, nothing will happen.

Personally, I'm tired of constantly pointing this out. I'm working on a multiplayer framework since 2004, and I will continue to do so.

But I am the lone rider here, it seems. So as long as no one is actually helping me coding that thing (or even doing a better one), you'll have to live with my slow pace.
[/RANT]

*sigh*

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Because orbiter is free. :tiphat: What about a vote as said before but it freezes the ships for those who don't want time warp temporarily? Because the way I see it you would only want time warp while waitng for a launch window or because of a long trip anyway, so if you didn't want time warp freezing temporarily shouldn't be much of an issue.

Darren
So if someone wants to time warp two hours for a launch window, but someone else wants to launch now...the second guy gets to entirely miss his launch window (because his ship was frozen) while the first guy time warps?

What?

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Because orbiter is free.

But Orbiter Multiplayer won't be. It will only come to be if everyone interested in it spends a lot of effort and hard work, as Face pointed out.

by the way, Orbiter by far isn't the only space sim that's free. If you don't really care for the physics anyways, I'd suggest Vega Strike, which should be multiplayer capable by now.

fort

Reaction score
I think it would be possible to produce a cooperative multiplayer mode with multiple players controlling one vessel, by the vessel alone... there are some tricky problems for this, but not as tough problems as multiple vessels.

Hello Urwumpe,

There is something on the way in that meaning/sense since two months on the francophone side and it seems to be finished or near to be finished. The test phase seems good and the author is in the intention to add " a controller module communicating with it " . It's made actually for a crew of four members.

http://orbiter.dansteph.com/forum/read.php?f=5&i=19185&t=19185&page=0

Last edited:

Spacethingy

Multitasker
Reaction score
Website
spacethingy.weebly.com
Going back to FSX, you could have some sort of ATC in Orbiter.

The ATC could act as the "warp minder", while also watching activity around space stations and space ports. You could have different levels for different areas, e.g. controlling reentries, assigning docking ports etc.

Radio frequencies could be simply different chat rooms that have been assigned to each area needing control. Some players could have the role of calling others players to organise whole journeys, especially to get transport from, say, Jupiter to Earth's surface.

Maybe it would just be best to have a few players on one mission per game: that would solve warping issues.
Mind you, you'd need one heck of a big server to cope with all the individual games...:idk:

Orbiter's physics is hugely complicated - wouldn't anything below a several Mb/s connection be useless? :shrug:

Last edited:

Snipa299

Reaction score
come to think of it, if orbiter can make a single computer lag, what do you think it would do with even three? and what if there's some noob that doesn't know how to fly, crashing into other peoples' ships? I don't know if this is even possible, would it be easier to have each computer send and receive the location of ships, and have each computer run independently while communicating with other computers? don't know if what I just said makes sense though...

Ok, computer running orbiter, receives locations and vectors from other computers, other ships projected into player's simulation. Add some other stuff to make it seem more multiplayer-ish, like canceling out time warp and scenario editor, and adding trade and commerce, voila. multiplayer? (complete newb, don't know a thing about programming.)

-EDIT-
^:lol: haha, I'm opposing it and supporting it at the same time :lol:

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
this thread will be more productive if you read old archived discussions on the subject of orbiter multiplayer. Then, instead of having the same discussions all over again, you can start where we all left off, saving at least 10 pages of redundant forum information :shifty:

Ark

Reaction score
What do I want in Orbiter multiplayer? I want to be the only one with time acceleration so that I'm the only one who doesn't have to sit around twiddling their thumbs for six months on a voyage to Mars.