Windows 8 developer preview version available

Ark

Reaction score

Yes. In almost every way Win 7 beats XP on performance. I remember watching people installing it on Pentium IIs with actually useable results during its alpha/beta period.

In this alpha Windows 8 is surpassing even 7 in certain areas in performance. The others I am sure are just bugs.

XP is done and gone. It is getting harder to secure harder to maintain and developers are starting to say enough is enough.

Since I can get copies of 7 through IU for $20, I think I'll probably bite the bullet and upgrade soon. XP is pretty old.

A friend of mine just installed 7 64bit on his newish Thinkpad with a solid state drive, it boots up almost as fast as my Droid. I'm used to getting coffee while my rig boots.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
I am installing it now and I just couldn't stop laughing at the option: "Join Microsoft SpyNet to help protect me from malicious apps and malware"

With the reputation MS has in certain circles, there simply shouldn't be something called Microsoft SpyNet. In any case it just sounds wrong. If you happen to bump into the fellas from SpyNet, would you mind thanking them for the hilarity they caused over here? Many Thanks

So far installing worked in VirtualBox quite well. As expected, there are some hoops you have to jump through. I have found this article helpful and it should be noted that the iso needs to be on an IDE device.

So far it is running quite stable. Artlavs reported crash on login is not happening here.
What freaks me out is the inability to see what programs are actually running in metro. But then again, I definitely need to RTFM more as I am unable to even close a program in metro.
I definitely see how metro will appeal to a large number of casual users even on a classic PC. Thinking of moms and such. The metro menu should be slideable by dragging though.

Now, let's see how far I can "dial it down" so the UI makes sense for my use again.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
What is finally going to do XP in is that it uses a different hardware model than later MS OS systems.

Eventually maintaining multiple drivers to serve the two systems will be too expensive and support will suddenly and rapidly fade away. I suspect this will happen within months after 8 launches.

I assume IU is some kind of higher education facility so that 20 USD is for students there. Why on earth have you not gotten 7 again? I paid 100USD for a OEM Home copy and am considering doing it again for another PC as it is a damn good deal even at that.

Windows 8. Within a few months (to fix the inertial bugs) I think the line from the internets works best.

Microsoft please

"SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY!!!"

---------- Post added at 01:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:50 PM ----------

TS I notice that stuff running in Metro UI dosent close and goes into some kind of suspend mode. I suspect this already has a bunch of folks on the MS forums in an uproar and I suspect the option to actually have it close the process to appear quite soon. I HIGHLY doubt that will make it to final with no option.

---------- Post added at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:52 PM ----------

Because you have to pay for making programs. And not on some flashy gadget, but on a real, need-it-to-work computer. That could easily go from pay-for-making-metro-apps to pay-for-making-apps to only-run-apps-that-were-downloaded-from-the-windowsmarket.

After that it's either the end of Microsoft or the end of home computers as we know them.

Done right it would do what it says on the box - only allow devs who are willing to pay a retainer for the quality of their programs to sell them.
Only nothing ever goes right.

Metro is about making money from the general use crowd. They would NEVER endanger the power and small biz market by locking down the rest of the OS. That would be absolutely nuts and would instantly give Linux and Apple the load.

It has got to be quality control. Metro makes use of a net connection and cpu so badly written apps could bring the computer to a crawl or trip monthly bandwidth limits. If someone made an MFD in orbiter that constantly reloads a youtube video of a sneezing panda few would install it. But Metro many will and that could cause many issues.

Also you have to make sure nothing is going to break another app in metro. Especially if MS plans to integrate things such as Windows Live directly into Metro.

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
TS I notice that stuff running in Metro UI dosent close and goes into some kind of suspend mode. I suspect this already has a bunch of folks on the MS forums in an uproar and I suspect the option to actually have it close the process to appear quite soon. I HIGHLY doubt that will make it to final with no option.

I assumed that was optional, but then again, it kind of makes sense to have certain programs simply hibernate.

In the meantime, does the desktop remind anyone else of TWM?
Twm_en.png

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
Most likely I'll try it tomorrow. Is it installable on .vhd like the RC of 7, if I remember correctly? I'd rather not fiddle with partitions if it is avoidable.

Ark

Reaction score
I assume IU is some kind of higher education facility so that 20 USD is for students there. Why on earth have you not gotten 7 again? I paid 100USD for a OEM Home copy and am considering doing it again for another PC as it is a damn good deal even at that.

Yeah, Indiana University. I actually just now came back from campus with a copy, looks like it'll be my evening project.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
I hope that they don't do what they did with 7 starter and not allow you to change your wallpaper, I don't want to have to shell out a ton more money to get a higher version just so I can have a wallpaper. :mad:

ky

Director of Manned Spaceflight
Reaction score
So, not to sound stupid, but this can be used in place of an operating system such as XP, or 7?

TSPenguin

The Seeker
Reaction score
So, not to sound stupid, but this can be used in place of an operating system such as XP, or 7?

That is exactly what it is. It is an [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operating_system"]operating system[/ame] just like all the other windows versions since NT.

Pyromaniac605: They said there will be no such mistake this time around.

Fabri91

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.fabri91.eu
It could, I guess. But keep in mind that it is a very early version of a software that is supposed to be released next year.

statisticsnerd

Reaction score
I'm still happy with XP. Vista was a complete wreck,

It's funny. There are a variety of opinions about Windows 7, but Vista is UNIVERSALLY hated. I don't know of a single person who likes Vista (or still uses it, for that matter).

Bloated, resource hogging, inefficient piece of monkey dung. Way worse than Microsoft ME.

Last edited:

Pablo49

Reaction score
It's funny. There are a variety of opinions about Windows 7, but Vista is UNIVERSALLY hated. I don't know of a single person who likes Vista (or still uses it, for that matter).
Generalities are easy aren't they? Much easier than saying something valid.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Yes I would seriously keep it in mind that this is an early public alpha and not something to be guaranteed secure in the least.

I personally would not recommend it as a main OS atleast until RC stage. Where they want to seriously test in a multiday environment.

This is showing at once what works and what does not and allowing feedback on the various ideas and implementations. They will get some seriously good data from this.

Reaction score
Haha Ok well you found somebody who liked vista... I build computers for people, The issue was when it first came out it was such a completely different system that it created a sort of incompatibility with programs written for XP (Win5) mainly because developers didn't have as much of a chance to troubleshoot their programs on windows.

Win6 was groundbreaking in the features they attempted, however performance was hit to bring new features. If you have a computer that I build they weren't a problem, and no: the computers I build do never exceed 700 dollars (which is a supercomputer). People do need to learn that computers need to be built to handle more than you would ever use. You will get a virus and you will run programs that you do not realize are running. My computer runs flawlessly even with gunkware, on all major OS. Win7,6,5 (worst on 5 actually) as well as near perfection as a computer that runs OSX.

I can't wait to get my hands on the developer copy. As a matter of fact I'm working on redeveloping my connections to get factory direct copies of Win8.

Microsoft meant to put vista out as a groundbreaking operating system that would redefine what it meant to have a PC. They did that? Well yeah, after a few months developers made their programs compatible (which by the way is not Microsoft's job) and the only remaining issue is that it required a strong computer. It still has compatibility issues because of the mindset that it was a "BAD" operating system, developers saying it's a dead operating system.

I wouldn't recommend going back to it from win7, hell no. But recognize that the features many people like about win7 were actually originally from win6.

Never be afraid of change, It saddens me to see Microsoft putting a win4 theme into win7.

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Vista was loaded with bugs at launch. A product of its too quick dev cycle and lack of listening to the community.

I HIGHLY doubt 8 will be the same. They have given themselves plenty of time to work on it and gotten out Alpha approaching what a year in advance of sale? And even if they have to delay in 2012 for some reason Win 7 will still sell like hotcakes for years.

But I hope it doesn't. 8 could finally get folks to go out and buy new computers again (Which slowed down greatly after the recession) Because of the potential of Metro

Pablo49

Reaction score
Metro simply doesn't make sense on a PC. Why move my mouse all the way across the screen to reach something that should be all grouped together? It's the same reason I am not keen on Unity in Ubuntu. Tablet UIs for tablets, PC uis for PCs, please.

Though, on the other hand. I think it's outrageous to say it's going to ruin win8 or anything like that. As long as all the functionality is there, then it can't be completely terrible. The design might not make sense, but there will be users who enjoy it. (iOS users will probably love it, just because it feels familiar) None of this stuff is black and white.

Last edited:

Zachstar

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.ibiblio.org
Metro = the downfall of Windows.

That is all I have to say about Metro.

Tell me where is your crystal ball that tells you what metro will even look like in 2012 much less the one that tells you that a multi billion dollar OS industry will end because of Metro. Common now! :facepalm:

Does it need more options? Hell yes! Does it need fixes? Hell yes! But this is 2011 and 8 is in public alpha. Not even beta yet. There is ZERO reason to believe Microsoft will ignore the feedback it will receive from this.

Again my GUESS is that it wont beat 7 but it will be close and 7 had a serious advantage in the market eager for a new OS.

Without Metro. 8 is just 7 with better speed and some features. Great for power users but doubtful it will cause people to flock to the stores when 7 will be like XP for years being good enough.

They HAVE to target the Grandma on Facebook market they HAVE to target the potential for light gaming market. That is 2012. People dont just flock to the stores every week for a new PC. If people don't see Metro and say WOW. 8 Will fail.

Microsoft isn't stupid anymore. This isnt ME or Vista.

---------- Post added 09-16-11 at 12:02 AM ---------- Previous post was 09-15-11 at 11:58 PM ----------

Metro simply doesn't make sense on a PC. Why move my mouse all the way across the screen to reach something that should be all grouped together? It's the same reason I am not keen on Unity in Ubuntu. Tablet UIs for tablets, PC uis for PCs, please.

Though, on the other hand. I think it's outrageous to say it's going to ruin win8 or anything like that. As long as all the functionality is there, then it can't be completely terrible. The design might not make sense, but there will be users who enjoy it. (iOS users will probably love it, just because it feels familiar) None of this stuff is black and white.

You don't understand because you are a power user. You likely don't sit on your PC with a cup of coffee in the morning just to check stocks and facebook. I personally know many people that Metro once optimized will highly benefit. And yes they use PCs not tablets. Tho Metro could convince them to get a tablet if the cost is right.

And with Time even power users might find a use for Metro. Personally if Games for Windows LIVE and Microsoft flight have good Metro integration that for me will be reason to use it.

Pyromaniac605

Toast! :D
Reaction score
Actually looking at it now, I think I could get used to Metro, I'd have to try it first to be sure, but it actually doesn't look half bad.
Personally I've always liked the more flashy looking OSs, hence my Windows 7 with Aero, and even if you don't like the idea of a Tablet UI on a PC, you have to admit that Metro looks pretty good.

Turbinator

Reaction score
I am all for flashy UIs, I love them too. I sincerely do. However, I find metro ugly; in a Windows Phone 7 and Zune sort of way. This big, chunky, ugly rainbow.