Humor World Cup 2010

Izack

Non sequitur
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Bah, I missed it because of work.
Of course, this thread was the first place I went for news of the finals. :lol:

Congratulations Spain, and to all contesting countries! :cheers:

(Stereotypically Canadian answer. :tiphat:)

insanity

Blastronaut
Donator
Reaction score
As a fairly proud member of the Dutch diaspora, I've grown up rooting for het oranje from a young age. Naturally, it is sad to see them lose, but I'm happy for Spain and the Spanish supporters. It was an exciting month, especially for me because its the only time in my country that people care about a game I grew up loving. Donovan's goal against Algeria in the 92nd minute was one of the best sporting moments that we all got to share together and the agony of the Ghana loss was the first time I felt like Americans cared about their team and expected them to do well. Hopefully that doesn't cause the sport to go back to the shadows for another 4 years, and we can take the good moments and help get people interested in progressing MLS and the national team.
Hup Holland Hup, but congrats to Spain.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Yeah, did deserve a red card for that.

But anyway. The game was pretty bad, not really entertaining, and that this time no player of the finals teams got awarded (aside of man of the match), but all awards went to players of the small final, maybe showed that both teams did not serve beauty prizes...but the world cup for simply shooting just one goal more than the other team. Germany would have had to give all its three stars away if playing beautiful would be mandatory for getting the world cup.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
About the future of the German team...and an other oracle. ;) (Scanned from my newspaper)

Spottschau-Oktopus.jpg

Translation:

"What a suspense! He picked up the pen, but makes absolutely no move to sign..."
"The next minutes decide about triumph or ruin of the German football."

The labels on the boxes:
"Go" -- "Stay"

"Vertrag" = Contract.

The artists homepage is there http://spottschau.com/ , but he only publishes for newspapers, so I am stressing the copyrights a bit, but I think it would be worse to not share it in the limited community here.

Last edited:

HR_Oso

Reaction score
Post edited, sorry. It was not appropiated.

Last edited:

Moach

Crazy dude with a rocket
Addon Developer
Reaction score
hats off to Paul, the Octupus! maybe if he were in the field instead of some players, the results would be very different!:rofl:

not that i'm complaining, tho! my second nationality is Spanish :lol: (tho i've never been there)...

i did spend 2 glorious months in the Netherlands tho, so i was kinda hoping for a different outcome :rolleyes:

ah well... Brazil didn't get it, so whatever... back to not caring untill 4 years from now:thumbup:

Hartmann

Reaction score
Spain didn´t play very well but is difficult do it when the other team is interrupting continuosly the game, with rough gameplay and discusing with the referee. :blahblah:

Mister Kite

&#%!@?!
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
For the realistic depiction of pain when getting roundhouse kicked?

I agree with you if you're talking about the "Kung Fu Kick".
That deserved red if it wasn't an accident, but I saw a lot of miraculous recoveries as soon as yellow was given.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
That deserved red if it wasn't an accident, but I saw a lot of miraculous recoveries as soon as yellow was given.

You should fix your color rule again:

Yellow is given for actions that risk the health of the other player.
Red is given for actions that intend injuring the health of the other player.

So, when the other player does not recover again, it is directly red. If the other player can still play, because you failed hitting him properly, it is yellow.

of course, in reality....

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
risking injury isn't the ONLY reason for a yellow card (or a red one). Hands in the sixteen meter zone can get you a red one too, for example, allthough noone was in danger of injury.

In this case, it was yellow for holding in a situation that might well have led to a goal otherwise. It just wasn't the first yellow card for that player, so it became a red one.

And soccer players recovering astonishingly fast after a yellow card was given is a common problem, really. That's why I prefer ice-hockey over soccer, it's a more honest sport, allthough rougher (which is another reason why I prefer it :p );

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Holding is generally a no-go. That you see it happen very often does not mean it is permitted.

Also if you play foul as last man and prevent a clear chance for a goal, you also will get red - this rule involves also goalkeepers. A second Tony Schumacher should not happen.

And what you should also include: If the Spanish player would not fall after the foul, the referee should keep the game running by the rules for not interrupting the game for minor fouls. So, yes, the Spanish player really falls easily and likely happily. But the actual foul was done by the dutch player. Not even video evidence would change this as you can see: The dutch player was indeed stopping the player by holding him.

That means attacking the player instead of attacking the ball and that is ALWAYS foul. if you steal somebody the ball and he falls, it is legal tackling, as long as it is not too rough.

And any attack against the player is always a risk for the health of the attacked player, even holding a player on his shirt can result in bad injury.

lennartsmit

Reaction score
I don't get why the press and the Spanish are acting like the Spanish played like saints and we like beasts. May I remind that Spain received 5 yellow cards as well.