Status
Not open for further replies.

n0mad23

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Looks really good. I've been playing around (only a bit as I've got sucked into AMSO lately) with the XR5 and it's really nice. Really nice.

A bit big for for my taste, but only because it feels a bit too futuristic I think.

After looking at this thread, I'm anxious to see where this one goes.

Really nice work.

Prius

Reaction score
Thanks for the tutorial man.

I think they should have a little thing pop up when you're downloading orbiter that says you should be good at a normal flight simulator before trying this. If it's already there...it's been a while since I downloaded it.

Cornflake

Reaction score
Beachy (the developer) has stated that DGIV type do-everything autopilots will never appear in an XR vessel, because flying the ship is the pilot's job. I suppose I agree with him. Where's the fun in sitting back and watching it happen?

That's true to some extent. IMO I think ascents and most flight should be performed by the pilot, not only to stay sharp and of course keep all the orbiter skills and maneuvers fresh in the mind, but to have fun and challenge yourself.

However, if you've gotten the basics of Orbiter flight down and practiced, when flying longer flights (e.g. Earth to Mars), it can sometimes be a hassle - sometimes these flights require 4 or more course corrections. It can be mentally exhausting in the first place, much less having to concentrate 12 minutes non stop for launch. Also I think re-entries are way too tough to do by hand, especially in thick atmosphere like Earth. But virtually no autopilots exist to help with reentry... besides, in the future if/when spaceflight will become commercial, you're going to find most launch and landing systems will be automated, like they are today with the Shuttle.

Back on topic though, love those videos of the Ravenstar opening the hatch :)

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm in agreement with minimizing the number of autopilots. I'm discovering that the hands-on flying is one of the most enjoyable aspects of the XR1. I would like, however, the null relative V autopilot of the DGIV, that one is great for close-in maneuvering and low-g landings

jazzylg

Reaction score
I'm new to the forum. I've been using orbiter for a few months, and have downloaded plenty of mods, and other items. This new ship looks incredible.You need to set up a donation link, as an added incentive to finish this thing quickly. If it looks as good as it shaping up, I'll be glad to contribute towards your hard work, and time.
Peace:cheers:

tblaxland

O-F Administrator
Administrator
Addon Developer
Webmaster
Reaction score
I would like, however, the null relative V autopilot of the DGIV, that one is great for close-in maneuvering and low-g landings

I use [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3165"]AttitudeMFD[/ame] for that purpose.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
How is everything going? Any new screen shots?

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
Updates are coming, my clients work has had to take precedence as i've had taxes and a lot of other bills to pay:( i've also got to prepare my new demo reel to get some more work though this model will be part of that reel.

jazzylg, Any donations toward the modelling would be much appreciated, it'll be completed whatever but if you're feeling generous then pm me for a donation link, i don't want to put one up here without permission of the admins.

jedidia

shoemaker without legs
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ep, the renders are using bump mapping, though i don't think we'll be able to implement that in the sim until the new graphics modules are completed

Well, there's allways the possibility of rendering the Bump-Map on the textures. I found it a sufficient alternative.

That stuff is drop-dead gorgeous, by the way. I wish there would be such skins for the Vanguard!

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
To say I am eagerly awaiting it's first flight would be a vast understatement. Dang it, now I gotta mop the drool off my keyboard again !

J_Aerospace

Reaction score
Please say that at some point all the switchs will work and the ships systems will be indepth and well modeled

dutchpirate

XR Fleet Skin Designer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Have you flown the XR-1 or XR-5? Lottsa buttons to push, especially if you crank up the realism settings!:sorry:

Russ_H

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Hi

This ship looks so cool I can't wait to get my hands on her.

Also with the XR code she will be a dream to fly.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Looks good, can't wait all I need is a re-entry auto pilot
I'm sure everyone knows about this one already, but to me it completely negates the need for a re-entry autopilot:
http://gregorio.piccoli.googlepages.com/aerobrakemfd
Since the DGIV, XR1, XR5, etc all have their own custom tolerances and "personalities" for re-entry, but with this MFD you can see where you're going to end up and how many g's you're going to hit before you get there. It makes it a fairly simple matter to fine-tune your AOA and bank angle to hit your intended landing site without burning up. With both the DGIV and the XRs you can specify your AOA and bank with a click of the mouse, so in combination with this mfd it makes re-entry almost as easy as ascent.

Status
Not open for further replies.