she/her
OGLA client supports stereoscopic 3D.

Coolhand

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.scifi-meshes.com
stereo/3d has been around for years and years... imho 3d in movies is a passing fad that comes and goes every couple of decades, the novelty will wear off and become annoying eventually. Anyone remember jaws 3d? no?

Last edited:

River Crab

SpaceX Cheer Captain
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The Virtual Boy was not nearly as bad, I still have...OK it was that bad. Oh my god, the red...
Actually though, I think 3d cinema is catching on. Granted, there's no way those 3d televisions will get anywhere, but if people are going to spend money to see a movie made of special effects (Avatar) then they might as well see it in "breathtaking 3d" while they can, right?
Also, I vaguely remember some guy did use 3d in Orbiter with the polarized glasses and an Nvidia graphics card. It was a while ago, though, don't remember the details.

n122vu

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Others might enjoy it, but personally it would be of no use to me, as I have one good eye and one that doesn't work too well, so my depth perception is limited. I couldn't see 3D in the old movies (yes, I remember Jaws 3D), and I can't see those "hand reaching out of the page" 3D drawings either. :(

deltawing777

Reaction score
Website
omp.dyndns-server.com
Ok well artlav I am going to try out your stereoscopic 3d. Toy story in 3d is at my local theatre> so im off to get a pair of 3d glasses.If this isnt a option then I found this link where you can make a pair of 3d glasses at home. There is also a pdf file to print and cut out the frame for the glasses
http://stereo.gsfc.nasa.gov/classroom/glasses.shtml

well it didnt work...maybe I need these kinda pricey though : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...-Accessories+-+Video+Card-_-NVIDIA-_-14998031

Last edited:

krashkart

Heliosynchronous Debris Field
Reaction score
stereo/3d has been around for years and years... imho 3d in movies is a passing fad that comes and goes every couple of decades, the novelty will wear off and become annoying eventually. Anyone remember jaws 3d? no?

I watched Amityville 3D recently. Wasn't too bad a movie, but it hurt my eyes a little as I didn't have the proper shades for it. :lol:

Xyon

Puts the Fun in Dysfunctional
Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
I agree with coolhand. 3D is an annoying fad which resurfaces every few years once the movie industry have forgotten why it went away in the first place.

And now they're making 3DTVs, too. Games are going 3D, apparently. I've never seen the appeal, myself. I remember Jaws 3D, vaguely, and Jurassic Park 3D too... 3D was kinda "meh" back then, and it still is now.

It will always be meh until we can do proper 3D without me having to wear additional glasses to see it. >.>

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
psh, I like 3D, it's different :D Makes for a nice change, a novelty if you will. There is just satisfaction in it for me.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
It's a novelty, yes, and one with some vague appeal. My issue with it is it's never treated like a novelty, nor the gimmick it is, it's always heralded as "The Next Big Thing", and it never is.

JEL

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.jelstudio.dk
Also, I vaguely remember some guy did use 3d in Orbiter with the polarized glasses and an Nvidia graphics card. It was a while ago, though, don't remember the details.

I used the anaglyph (colored glasses) stereo with nvidia in 2003.

Here's a bunch of screen-grabs I did back then:

http://jelair.jelstudio.dk/dataloop/orbiter-in-stereo.7z (12 megabytes)

There are also a few from MS-flightsim in there.

You need anaglyph glasses to see the effect of these screen-grabs.
They're taken straight from the sim so the stereo effect is shown as it actually was in-game.
I haven't got a stereo setup at the moment, but I absolutely recommend it. It's not only a lot of fun, but also quite useful actually. Well, atleast in my opinion :)
It's a lot easier to get motion-sickness when using stereo though, atleast when swirling weightless around outside the ISS for a couple of hours, haha. It does raise the respect for what astronauts go through, when operating in an environment without clear up/down definitions.

Well, all should try Orbiter in stereo if they can, in my opinion, and see for themselves the difference. If they can't run Orbiter in stereo on their own system then maybe my screen-grabs can give them an impression of what it looks like (although not the flow of the motion ofcourse, but atleast the depth effect)

JEL

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Actually, that's 4D ;)

Ae7flux

Ghost of Utopia Planitia
Donator
Reaction score
Maybe the fourth 'd' stands for death which is what happens if the safety protocols become disabled as they inevitably do. (Yeah, I've watched enough Trek to know that always happens.)

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
I saw Beowulf in Imax 3D, and am glad I did, it was amazing. Far better than a 2D version could hope to be.

Have also been to several CG 3D rides in Busch Gardens VA, and they too are awesome. The glasses part is a non-issue. Even for people who already wear glasses, like me. Because it's polarized, and not red/blue, it looks excellent. Even the Sony TV... I was in a Sony store recently and saw a game and didn't think much of it, but my date motioned to me to grab the glasses and look again, and it was almost jaw dropping. Some impact came from the fact that it looked 'ok' without the glasses.

The real key is to just not over-do it. To use it well, and that will take some experience.

Yes, the novelty will wear off. But that doesn't mean we'll go back to 2D. We'll just wonder how we ever lived with 2D in the first place. Then the same will happen when we get holoprojections and "eyePhone"-style projected screens (in mid air) that anyone can watch.

Messierhunter

Reaction score
Nvidia has stereo drivers for older cards (pre-8000) that work well with XP. There are also drivers for later cards available if you have Vista. I used to use the former with orbiter and some LCD shutter glasses. That was an awesome thing until I had to upgrade my video card but keep XP. I just found out that the company that makes my glasses offers a universal driver so I'll have to try that out and hope it works with Orbiter.

Xyon

Administrator
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Webmaster
GFX Staff
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-radio.co.uk
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Nope. Still 3D. It doesn't involve time neither a 4th space dimension.

It does involve time. Unless you're just running a static program.

statickid

CatDog from Deimos
Donator
Reaction score
<SNIP>

It will always be meh until we can do proper 3D without me having to wear additional glasses to see it. >.>

ok... HERE YOU GO!!! TADAHHHH!!!

http://ds.ign.com/articles/109/1094930p1.html

actually this isn't new tech it's been around for a while but never caught on, too expensive etc etc, i think it might be the first big mainstream product though and its supposed to be really effective visually though small, but they say it just seems natural and like maybe it should have been there the whole time.

<new topic>

in the old days i would have answered this thread:

"what do y'mean support 3d? its already in 3d! gorgeous 3d! I can't even count the polygons":jawdrops:

Biscuit

Donator
Reaction score
I recently went and saw The Last Airbender in 3d ... my first viewing of a "Real 3D" movie ... the glasses were very comfortable ... after about 5 minutes I didn't even notice I had them on ... and that was even while wearing them over my normal prescription glasses. Great results, no eyestrain, no headache ... awesome results. And during the the CG demo/promo short showing off the 'Real 3D' right before the film, you would have sworn that little robot ball thing was floating right there in the middle of the theatre as real as life.

I think polarization would be the key ... would be a bit cost prohibitive in a desktop setup ... but would probably work great in a 'simpit' configuration ... use the polarized glasses ... generate two camera views slightly offset views of the scene ... project that through two projectors each with their own polarized lens (getting the alignment spot on would probably be a real b*tch, though) ... wear the passive polarized glasses ... viola! Homemade 'Real 3D'. :D

Not a lot of use during those long interpanetary trips ... but would bring a whole new dimension to dockings and landings.

Now, if only I had the room and the money (and extra time) to set something like that up. :(

... a person can dream, though.