Request Any SLS and Orion MPCV in development?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
OK. Any help would be welcomed.

Someone had mention SkylabII. I think something like this. I think maybe the framework might have to be another vessel that is attached to her. Then a RMS Arm attached also. Not sure what texture I should use for the radiators?

skylab2_zps76675468.jpg

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think you need bigger solar panels dude. From the NASA picture they look to be about the same diameter as the body. But other than that nitipicking, it looks spot on.

Some sort of scaffolding on the back side, it almost looks reminiscent of the structure of the dual keel space station.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Wait a minute ... somebody uses this? :eek:h:
Yes. It is used in Velcro Rockets.

Ok I will scale the panels they were the same size as the the Orion.
I will add the scafolding and a rms arm. Multiple attachments. add rcs thrusters
The article mentions using Flexcraft. But I think on the back side maybe a suit port for her?

Last edited:

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Revisiting the Mars Obital Habitat Vehicle, I designed a Phobos mission version using the Eranda, but this is just a design.

The problem is, they have not been tested. I bet the center of gravity is not correct. I tried the first MOHV and the NTR was not enough to push it out of earth orbit.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:57 PM ----------

Maybe it is a better idea to replace the NTR stages with the Reusable Nuclear Booster.

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5339"]Orbital Transit System: Reusable Nuclear Shuttle v0.5(Beta)[/ame]

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:15 PM ----------

If you would like, could you put this on the SLS Block II Cargo, and send it on here? I don't know how big it is, it might not fit.

---------- Post added at 05:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:16 PM ----------

(It would need to be up-side down, like the NTR)

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It will not fit. The RNS is about 40 meters long.

But the Skylab with scaffolding will not fit either. So I guess it would need 2 rockets to get her up.

I think because the scaffolding is in the center there is no room for a flexcraft suit docking. So I guess there needs to be a special dock adapter attached to it.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71242599/skylab3.jpg

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Maybe. But you would need a lot of scaffold vessels and attachments. I think a cheat would be to make a UCGO Crate and put the scaffold vessel in it. Send in with the main skylab body. Then when you get into space. Unpack and attach. You could add a RMS arm in Scenario editor or pack one in a crate also?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I was thinking an animation (much like a solar array unfolding) but UCGO is pretty elegant a solution (along with an RMS). Looking good so far.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
UCGO containers seem a bit too obvious and out of place, but I do have a suggestion that might be more seamless.

Make two meshes of the station, one with the scaffolding folded, and one unfolded. Define a Velcro Rockets stage with the folded scaffolding, and make use of the Become line in the config to point to a config with the unfolded station mesh. After the folded up 'launch' version of skylab2 gets jettisoned from the stage that put it in orbit, it'll become the unfolded station instantly and without fiddling from the user.

Sure, the scaffolding unpacked itself and did so in the blink of an eye, but it's a useful abstraction of an otherwise complicated procedure.

As an example of what I'm talking about, here's the addon I got the idea from: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=5367"]Saturn-IV Station[/ame]

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
That's probably the better option, yes it's instant, but a simple solution.

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I'd imagine just a bunch of stacked up tubing, or packaged away on a pallet. I think one of the shuttle missions had the guys build some on an EVA, I seem to remember them getting honorary memberships in the iron workers union.

They may have called it a truss assembly, I can't remember...

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
ok. maybe like this.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71242599/skylab2a.jpg
I guess also add a folded rms arm also. That when unfolded is mounted in the correct spot.

On the cfg part. I am a bit confused. So the initial cfg would just be a mesh with folded scaffold. then another to become cfg with a dll and unfolded mesh?

Last edited:

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
One config is defined as a Velcro stage, with the Become line in the config, and with the folded up scaffolding mesh. The other has the unfolded mesh, but as far as I can tell it doesn't need a dll, just a config for the become line to point to.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
It should be everything. I am working on a new EUS.

---------- Post added 10-24-14 at 08:43 AM ---------- Previous post was 10-23-14 at 01:20 PM ----------

I was playing around this.
SKYLAB6_zpsa077e4c4.jpg

I added the URMS but I think it doesn't work in 2010p1. So I can make a RMS arm.

But how would modules be attached to the scaffold?

Found this:http://spirit.as.utexas.edu/~fiso/telecon/Griffin_3-27-13/Griffin_3-27-13.pdf

Interesting. It shows the flexcraft being docked in the bottom

Last edited: