Request Any SLS and Orion MPCV in development?

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
After reviewing the videos, this definitely deserves a separate thread. This would be great for Mars missions, especially the rock field transverse.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Here is my Altair Cargo version. It is UCGO but may need to adjust the cfg to fit level. I think it because of the orientation. Z is up not Y
altaircargoler_zpsfe08c85e.jpg

ALTAIRCARGOUCGO_zps62cbb562.jpg

I think some sort of crane/rms arm is needed to load the cargo?

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
There was some concept artwork, it might have been related to the LUNOX? You are doing excellent work BTW. Do you ever sleep?

lunar-crane-space-art.jpg

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks. I might redo the base with that gold color. Maybe a ladder to the side

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Here is my Altair Cargo version. It is UCGO but may need to adjust the cfg to fit level. I think it because of the orientation. Z is up not Y

I think some sort of crane/rms arm is needed to load the cargo?

That almost exactly matches the video of the ATHLETE exiting the cargo craft. Great job. If NASA was actually going to use the ATHLETE, they could just load the payload on the pallet, then hoist it up on the hex legs. Anyway, great design.

---------- Post added at 05:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:14 PM ----------

Are you actually going to use the folded-in version to load the LER onto the Altair?

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Thanks.

There are a number of problems doing that.

Because to do it you would need 3 vessels. 2-3 legged vessels and a cargobed. So if you attach the 3 leg vessel to the bed how to do control them the 2 3 leg vessels?

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Thanks.

There are a number of problems doing that.

Because to do it you would need 3 vessels. 2-3 legged vessels and a cargobed. So if you attach the 3 leg vessel to the bed how to do control them the 2 3 leg vessels?

Well, do you remember this video? It kinda schooches off. Mabey in the future, (in real life) that would be a better way to take cargo off than to use an arm.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Later in the video it shows the 2 3 legged vessel detaching from the cargo platform.

For Orbiter the way to do it might be to have a flat bed that the crago is attached to.
position it where you want it. Attach to Altair cargo and then detach from Athlete and move Athlete forward?

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Maybe one could be simple and give athlete two leg positions, down, and up extended. This would allow you to get cargo off, and bring it to the ground. Then the cargo could be jettisoned with J. For one who wanted to make a better one, that would be a different deal.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Ok. I ran into something.
http://www.newscientist.com/data/galleries/lunar-base-designs/5athetesweb.jpg

I think my Altair CArgo maybe too tall.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair_%28spacecraft%29

here is the size of the Altaircargo, ummu, athlete, altair vessel
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71242599/altairsize.jpg

here is a snapshot from the video:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71242599/athlete%20size.jpg

On My Altair cargo. the diameter is 7.5 the height is about 6.1m. I thought I heard that the real one would be larger. So I can scale it to fit my CArgo

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Maybe the ATHLETE will be taller, because a real Altair lander wouldn't be as tall as the snap show picture. It is too small. Liked the first picture, exactly what I was talking about.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
For NASA's future missions, they are more planning to use SLS and Orion MPCV for Mars. Altair and Orion CEV are moon designed, but can the cargo Altair land on Mars with the ATHLETE? That would be quite convenient, because then NASA wouldn't have to design completely new lander designs to get cargo on the surface of the red planet. I have been really close to landing the LTV Phoenix lander on Mars, but I was wondering also if the fuel level and impulse of a vehicle of that size is unrealistic.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Sorry, this may be a dumb question:
Is the Orion capsule now black on the outside ?
Yes. It's better suited for the deep space environment.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Thanks! Did not kown that.
Just playing around with new textures and an ATV-type service module:
LEO missions would use white tiles to better reflect the sun to keep one side from overheating. Especially when docked to a space station such as ISS. This was the reason why the Skylab CMs had a white coat on one side instead of the standard Mylar film.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
LEO missions would use white tiles to better reflect the sun to keep one side from overheating. Especially when docked to a space station such as ISS. This was the reason why the Skylab CMs had a white coat on one side instead of the standard Mylar film.

Woah, hold up there! Your saying that they will be making it mostly black? Mars missions and moon excursions with a black CM? I thought it was just the EFT-1!