Request Any SLS and Orion MPCV in development?

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
Looking at the description of the Jumbo tanker, it says it can carry 700,000kg of propellent. I'd say that's way out of the SLS capability for payload.:lol:

The Space tankers though should all work mass-wise, since the heavier one should only be about 100 mt. The existing fairings might not be long enough for the tanker, and the Albatross is a space plane and will likely not work well with the SLS inline setup, but those are the only problems I can think of.
Either should work fine for refueling, but I think you should plan on using the Tanker; Albatross would be rather out of place on a SLS stack, even though it would make a certain sort of sense to have a reusable space plane supplying a reusable Nuclear-powered space shuttle. I'm just biased that way though.

Anyway, I am trying to figure out whether it's your piloting that's causing the trouble; thus my asking for your Apogee/Aposis Altitude(ApA), Perigee/Periapsis Altitude(ApA), and Inclination(Inc), so I know what kind of a orbit you get yourself into. I'll be fine with the numbers right after MECO. I'm assuming you will be launching due east, so let me know if you're not.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
I have been having trouble launching east. For some peculiar reason, the SLS tilts ever so slightly so it is a waste of time (to me) to go east. I'll try it, and I will be assuming that MECO is right after the core stage separates.

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Just checked orbitingpluto. It's gotta be the EUS or something.

PeR 1.208M
ApR 6.536M
Inc 46.64 deg

You know, I felt like that may have been a good launch, but then as soon as the second stage ignited, I was having trouble keeping my velocity above the horizon.

orbitingpluto

Orbiteer
Reaction score
I have been having trouble launching east. For some peculiar reason, the SLS tilts ever so slightly so it is a waste of time (to me) to go east. I'll try it, and I will be assuming that MECO is right after the core stage separates.

---------- Post added at 02:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:54 AM ----------

Just checked orbitingpluto. It's gotta be the EUS or something.

PeR 1.208M
ApR 6.536M
Inc 46.64 deg

You know, I felt like that may have been a good launch, but then as soon as the second stage ignited, I was having trouble keeping my velocity above the horizon.

I should have said after the EUS is done, but it's my fault for saying MECO. Sorry for confusing you.

Since it was worth a look, I reviewed the the EUS config: The Isp not what it should be. Below is more correct values, for pasting over the old ones in the EUS's config file:

Code:
Isp = 4550       ; fuel specific impulse [m/s]
IspSL = 4550

Let me know how it works out for you.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
New news orbitingpluto.

PeR 3.221M
ApR 6.726
Inc 39.71deg

I even did a better one later, but it still didn't get to orbit, even with the change in impulse level.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I'm back. ON the LER. Well you can pack it in a UCGO crate. At one time was working on the yellow frame on the Altair.

Astro SG Wise

Future Orion MPCV Pilot
Reaction score
Website
www.aesd.blogspot.com
Have any of you used the [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=6429"]BM-Lander[/ame]? I thought it would be a good lander to land SLS cargo on Mars before the human mission. The only problem is that BM very limited fuel. Any other ideas?

Last edited:

Interceptor

Reaction score
Well I looked around the Internet,and found nothing.

---------- Post added at 06:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:13 PM ----------

Yeah I have use the BM lander,and it performs very well.

---------- Post added at 06:21 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:15 PM ----------

Yes. But not sure what it would look like.

I can remove the capsule area and relocate the rcs thrusters and one could add UCGO cargo on top.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/71242599/altaircargo.jpg
Yeah something like that you could house the LER on,and either deploy a ramp ,or you lower it down with a set of cables,just some ideas.

Last edited:

PhantomCruiser

Wanderer
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
I think I have a picture of a cargo version of Altair. It kind of looked like a metallic octagonal thing with legs. None too fancy.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I think I have a picture of a cargo version of Altair. It kind of looked like a metallic octagonal thing with legs. None too fancy.
That's the basic descent of the Lunar Surface Access Module (LSAM, later got the name Altair). That was the idea, to put all the basic GNC hardware in the descent stage to create a cargo lander that was able to land heavy hardware on the lunar surface without the return to orbit capability that the ascent stage offered.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Altair_(spacecraft)

Last edited:

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well the entire LER can't fit. But I think I can make a folded LER cradle in the center area. So when you press a key it shows it outside the lander

Interceptor

Reaction score
Well the entire LER can't fit. But I think I can make a folded LER cradle in the center area. So when you press a key it shows it outside the lander
I think that would work John,or even lower down the folded LER,and when you press a key it would be unfolded,and ready to travel.

---------- Post added at 07:41 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:37 PM ----------

What also would be cool is if we could involve your habitat,that way you could attach the LER to the airlock,and transfer crew to and from it using Ummu.

Last edited: