Black Dart update

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Any news on this fantastic looking add-on?

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Wow, this ones been a while in the making but it certainly seams worth it. A new X-Plane ( of sorts ) to fly out of dremland :)

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Not much new yet, except the rendering competition of my university, I so far only work on fixing the SSU SRB Bug.

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I realize that I posted a bit back with this same question, but I was simply curious to know if there had been any additional progress on this superb looking add-on. I of course understand the time limitations imposed by coursework, simply curious. :)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Fell by the wayside, I don't know if it will be released or not.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Fell by the wayside, I don't know if it will be released or not.

From my side: Will be released.

Only real showstopper is the VC mesh,with the invisible MFDs. I would need to do a tiny reading of the code if I have the control loops for the TVC finished, I remember doing some fun test flights with them.

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Ah !! Cool

It would be nice adding some rotary switches to the VC, for controlling the TVC, but I can't tell you from my mind, which modes I had tested... was a while since I shelved the project. :cheers:

Arrowstar

Probenaut
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Well, I certainly hope to see a release. It looks like a sporty little ride if I do say so myself. :)

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Does this refresh your memory ? There are 4 rotary switches in front of the thrust lever, lower left in pic 2.

Attachments

• DartVC.jpg
    DartVC.jpg
    55.2 KB · Views: 68
  • DartVC2.jpg
    DartVC2.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 83

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Hmmmmmmmm, I'm picturing this on a Titan-II Launch stack lifting off from LC-41 in the early morning hours for a specops mission .........

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Does this refresh your memory ? There are 4 rotary switches in front of the thrust lever, lower left in pic 2.

Hmm...did I Have them already in my version of the VC? I remember the "landing gear" switches, but not the rotaries in front of the TC.

The labels would eventually be something along "PROFILE A, PROFILE B, DIRECT, NEUTRAL", but I am not sure if these four options are really optimal... I tested a lot strange things, with the Profile A/B being essentially moving the experiment code into scenario file options.

---------- Post added at 09:27 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:25 AM ----------

Hmmmmmmmm, I'm picturing this on a Titan-II Launch stack lifting off from LC-41 in the early morning hours for a specops mission .........

Well, the current version of it has a Delta-Glider like specific impulse, no need for a launch vehicle... downgrading the engine specs to chemical specific impulses would result in the VTOL capability being practically useless.

the.punk

Advanced Orbinaut
Reaction score
Yes. I also hope it will be released.
Because it looks cool so far.
:cheers:

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Well, the current version of it has a Delta-Glider like specific impulse, no need for a launch vehicle... downgrading the engine specs to chemical specific impulses would result in the VTOL capability being practically useless.

Isn't that like rotary phones on the Enterprise? Meaning, if you have the tech for magic powered engines, why would the rest of it reflect late 60's era tech and design?

I think the idea of a winged launcher or a launch stack would finish it off nicely, give it a sense of proper "wholeness".

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Isn't that like rotary phones on the Enterprise? Meaning, if you have the tech for magic powered engines, why would the rest of it reflect late 60's era tech and design?

I think the idea of a winged launcher or a launch stack would finish it off nicely, give it a sense of proper "wholeness".

Currently, you have two sets of external drop tanks, which you could also combine. Also, the rocket engine has a high-ISP mode, which reduces thrust and chamber pressure a lot, but is more effective when you don't need high thrust levels. Switching to low thrust mode as soon as the atmosphere pressure is low enough during ascent saves a good amount of fuel - and turns the Black Dart into a hypersonic wave rider, which is a pretty nice sight, that has even a practical use.

What is rather thought about as "wholeness", is adding larger motherships for transporting Black Darts to Mars and Beyond, or having "opponents" on Earth.

tgep

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Didn't know about the drop tanks ......... thanks for the info. Now I'm really drooling over this bird !

" .... in the quiet desert night, a hangar door slides open and a sleek black shape is tractored out to the runway.... "

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
You've seen my movie !!