New Release D3D9Client Development

Cougar

Reaction score
Help, please!
The link to the Project Site "D3D9Client is available for download from Project Site as well as from Tuttovola.org"
does not work anymore respectively links to this site:

Where can one download the latest clients for Orbite 2016 and Orbiter 2016 Beata?

Thank you very much!

Best regards
Cougar

Last edited:

clipper

Reaction score
Small showcase of the new atmosphere model at different altitudes with all three Earth visual configs (Default, 10_Ratio, and Hazy - in that order):

One thing I'd like to add regarding the sun glare: currently it appears to emphasize the background stars in its vicinity; I'm not an expert on this matter by any means but generally I'd assume that opposite should happen and the sun would make it very difficult to make out any of those nearby stars due to brightness of the glare itself - hopefully this can demonstrate the 'issue' better (using default celestial sphere settings - added circle for clarity):Sol.png

I believe this used to occur with the old lens flare implementation as well so I'm not really sure if it's something that can be 'fixed' easily, but I figured I'd point it out anyway while the new sun glare option is being introduced.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Where can one download the latest clients for Orbite 2016 and Orbiter 2016 Beata?

I don't really know. The old website is no longer available. I tried to upload/add the client to Orbiter Downloads but it gave me an unknown error.

n72.75

Move slow and try not to break too much.
Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I don't really know. The old website is no longer available. I tried to upload/add the client to Orbiter Downloads but it gave me an unknown error.
I can host/mirror them in my very slow home server if you want. Temporarily at least.

Cougar

Reaction score
I can host/mirror them in my very slow home server if you want. Temporarily at least.
That would be a great short solution! Thank you very much!
But on the long term we will need to have a fixed download location like e.g. on the "Orbiter 2016 Download" website itself.

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
That would be fine. Also maybe some admin could add the client among the Orbiter downloads.

Here's a quote from the old website:
This is a graphics client/engine for Orbiter Spaceflight Simulator 2016. To install the client you need to download a package and extract it in the root folder of the Orbiter. Any previously existing files should be replaced.

DirectX Runtimes
You will need a DirectX June 2010 End-User Runtimes to run the client. If the package isn't installed in your computer you will receive an error message "The program can't start because d3dx9_43.dll is missing from your computer". Or you may see a pop-up window in Orbiter LaunchPad telling about a missing runtimes. If that happens then download the package from a link below and extract the content of the package in any empty directory you want and then find a Setup.exe and run it. It is a common mistake to forget to run the Setup.exe You can delete the contents of the directory after the setup is completed. The directory is just a temporary storage for the installation files.

Here is the link: DirectX9 Runtimes

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him

Ripley

Tutorial translator
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttovola.org
So, is
Code:
http://users.kymp.net/~p501474a/D3D9Client/
forever gone?

IronRain

The One and Only (AFAIK)
Administrator
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Website
www.spaceflightnewsapi.net
That would be fine. Also maybe some admin could add the client among the Orbiter downloads.

Here's a quote from the old website:
I've uploaded the latest release that I had on my PC (Wayback download didn't work for me and I think it's the same version).
I've transfered the resource to you, you should be the rightful owner now ;)

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I've uploaded the latest release that I had on my PC (Wayback download didn't work for me and I think it's the same version).
I've transfered the resource to you, you should be the rightful owner now ;)
I have the one for Beta and 2010, I can send you.

Max-Q

99 40
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.orbiter-forum.com
I have a bunch of versions for 2010, 2016, and beta if anyone needs/wants them.
  • R16.9 (2010)
  • R16.10 (2010)
  • R3.12
  • R4.1
  • R4.4
  • R4.7
  • R4.11
  • R4.15
  • R4.16
  • R4.18
  • R4.19
  • R4.20
  • R4.22
  • R4.23
  • R4.24
  • R4.26
  • Beta 29.3
  • Beta 30.0
  • Beta 30.1
  • Beta 30.7

SpaceBoy2

Reaction score
One thing I'd like to add regarding the sun glare: currently it appears to emphasize the background stars in its vicinity; I'm not an expert on this matter by any means but generally I'd assume that opposite should happen and the sun would make it very difficult to make out any of those nearby stars due to brightness of the glare itself - hopefully this can demonstrate the 'issue' better (using default celestial sphere settings - added circle for clarity):View attachment 31911

I believe this used to occur with the old lens flare implementation as well so I'm not really sure if it's something that can be 'fixed' easily, but I figured I'd point it out anyway while the new sun glare option is being introduced.
Yeah, stars should not be visible across a major region when the sun is present (except for very bright ones, perhaps). But when the camera is in any shadow, stars should become visible

SpaceBoy2

Reaction score
I would like to point out a bug which prevents settings to remain selected. If you check a checkbox and switch to another tab, the changes revert back. I guess this is because the launchpad reads from the Orbiter_ng config file each time a tab is clicked

Morgan

Reaction score
I tried the new pre-release version of orbiter dev build. Wanted to test NASSP on it however it doesn't seem to work. I guess this is by design?

n72.75

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
Website
mwhume.space
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I tried the new pre-release version of orbiter dev build. Wanted to test NASSP on it however it doesn't seem to work. I guess this is by design?
We haven't switched yet. There are some things we need to fix in our code first. It's very high up on the priority list for us, though.
For now please continue to follow our installation instructions and use Beta R90.

Felix24

Reaction score
Yeah, stars should not be visible across a major region when the sun is present (except for very bright ones, perhaps).
There's probably a simple additive blending going on. The star pixel's value is getting added to the glare value for the same pixel, and displaying the sum. This is how the real world works, except that the sun is much brighter in reality and completely washes out all stars within its glare.

A more realistic way might be to progressively dim all stars the closer they get to the sun glare, and dim them completely when they are behind the glare.