New Release D3D9Client Development

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
can we forget the brightness of Orbiter 2016 for a moment
and talk about why the Open version have much sharper ground textures !?? :eek:

Much sharper ? In which way ? I didn't notice anything unusual while testing it during development. There is a little more contrast added between terrain facing the sun and away from the sun. Or could this be micro texture filter issue, make sure it's "anisotropic" not "point".

gamer19

Reaction score
Much sharper ? In which way ? I didn't notice anything unusual while testing it during development. There is a little more contrast added between terrain facing the sun and away from the sun. Or could this be micro texture filter issue, make sure it's "anisotropic" not "point".
I mean looking at these two pictures

👇

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
I mean looking at these two pictures
The right one seems unnaturally flat in contrast. On moon the contrast is pretty high. You can get a flatter microtexture (almost like the right one) by setting the "Blend Mode" to "soft light".

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
In those two pictures I setted the "Blend Mode" to "normal light" both for Orbiter 2016 and OpenOrbiter. Maybe there are some other parameters that make the landscape better in OpenOrbiter.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
Is it possible that at some time in the future we could get pbr shading and shadows for the vc, like we already have in the external view? Or is there some technical limitation that wont allow it?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's a development patch (only for developers) for a ray-traced VC textures. It's been a while since I last time build a binary patch so I hope I didn't forget anything. Orbiter can be downloaded from the GitHub page by clicking a small "tag" icon next to "branches" and then select "downloads". This patch is x86 build

Attachments

• OrbiterBakedVCPatch.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 22

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Here's a development patch (only for developers) for a ray-traced VC textures. It's been a while since I last time build a binary patch so I hope I didn't forget anything. Orbiter can be downloaded from the GitHub page by clicking a small "tag" icon next to "branches" and then select "downloads". This patch is x86 build

Attachments

• RaytracedVC_4.zip
    1.3 MB · Views: 12

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Hi, just wanted to ask if I understand correctly that D3D9 terrain flattening isn't compatible with cubic interpolation for the surface elevation in OpenOrbiter?

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to ask if I understand correctly that D3D9 terrain flattening isn't compatible with cubic interpolation for the surface elevation in OpenOrbiter?
It should be. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
It should be. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't be.
There appears some difference between Orbiter 2016 and OpenOrbiter in this. D3D9 terrain flattening works only with linear interpolation in Orbiter 2016:

flat.png

whereas in OpenOrbiter (I tested x64 build) the flatted textures dissaper with cubic interpolation at close distance (or sometimes just doesn't work at all). Linear (the 1st picture) and cubic (the 2nd one):

linear.pngcubic.png

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am trying. to help someone get d3d9 working. I have downloaded and installed. But in the modules folder there was not a place to actitave d3d9. In non d3d9 graphics. They can only run RGB.
The only graphics setting I can get to work at all is the RGB Emulation and that is for the Red version of Orbiter. Any other mode crashes. The Blue icon will run, buts says it’s in the Orbiter NG (nographics) mode. Any ideas, thoughts.

Attachments

• thumbnai3.png
    thumbnai3.png
    51.2 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail4.png
    thumbnail4.png
    22.5 KB · Views: 5
  • thumbnail1.png
    thumbnail1.png
    28.8 KB · Views: 5

kuddel

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
Check if following have been installed:
  • DirectX Runtimes (for the DirectX 9 OS support. Higer versions of Direct X do not include the correct Direct X 9 runtimes!)
  • D3D9Client (I think that has been done, but just in case ;) ... )

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Is there any way to make the gaps created by a normal map darker? I'm trying to create a hi-res texture Columbia and Challenger, and I am using a normal map for the tiles to simulate the tile-to-tile gap, but as you can see in the attached screenshot, the gaps doesn't look quite right with the neutral grey tone. It should be darker in my mind.

Attachments

• OV102_normal_map_area.jpg
    OV102_normal_map_area.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 29

Felix24

Reaction score
Is there any way to make the gaps created by a normal map darker? I'm trying to create a hi-res texture Columbia and Challenger, and I am using a normal map for the tiles to simulate the tile-to-tile gap, but as you can see in the attached screenshot, the gaps doesn't look quite right with the neutral grey tone. It should be darker in my mind.
You could try to fake it by adding dark lines in the gaps in the diffuse texture. That will help to break up the texture and make it look like the tiles are separated by a small gap.

gattispilot

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I am getting this error:
D3D9: ERROR: Large surface created Handle=0x15D2F818 (9889568,9889596)

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
I've just seen this old post:
The UNDERSHADOWS is supposed to be applied to a flat runways and landing pads. The object will be rendered without z-buffer beneath/below any other building or vessel. So, it looks ok to me.
And a while ago I've written about runways which are visible through surface textures. The UNDERSHADOWS option for meshes makes them visible through the ground:

u.png

Removing the UNDERSHADOWS option from the base configuration file makes a mesh unvisible as it should be:

u2.png

Maybe it can help to make runways unvisible through the ground as it should be.

I tried this in OpenOrbiter x86.

OvalDreamX

Reaction score
Yes, it's being worked on.
Yay! Then I may finish my "PBR VC Prop Pack™", I abandoned it since Skybolt went dormant, but now that pbr shading in the vc is possible in the future, it may have someuse after all.
Cool! Although I get this error with the latest build (from today I think?)
1704662896460.png

The error on Orbiter.log reads:
Code:
000005.960: D3D9: [3DDevice Initialized]
000006.152: D3D9ERROR: C:\Software\OrbiterRepositories\VCRaytrace\OVP\D3D9Client\D3D9Effect.cpp Line:356 Error:-2147467259 D3DXCreateEffectFromFileA(pDev, name, macro, 0, D3DXSHADER_NO_PRESHADER|D3DXSHADER_PREFER_FLOW_CONTROL, 0, &FX, &errors)
000006.157: D3D9ERROR: Effect Error: PBR.fx(119,6): error X3004: undeclared identifier 'gTuneEnabled'

jarmonik

Orbiter Contributor
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
It looks like you are trying to fit incompatible pieces of executables and shaders. PBR shading in VC is still being worked on and it's not yet in a working condition. There's been some complications in a development but the work is going forward and will be finished. Just a little patience.

misha.physics

Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
he/him
Maybe it can help to make runways unvisible through the ground as it should be.
I made some additional tests. It seems that such objects like runways, landing pads, hangars, and so on, are visible through the ground due to shadows from these objects. I placed the VAB mesh in the mountains, chose the texture Runway2.dds for this mesh and tried three cases:

0.png

Results:

00.png

In the first case the mesh with its texture isn't shining through the ground. So, maybe we should just make a flat mesh (I just haven't learned how to do it yet) with the texture of a runway, if we want the runway (and other objects) not to be visible through the terrain? It just sounds so simple :D Or not, and this idea won't work? :unsure: