Launch News Delta IV Heavy launch with NROL-65, August 28, 2013

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
The Tri-core Hydrogen Fireball Generator (TM) is flying again today!

The United Launch Alliance Delta 4-Heavy rocket will launch into polar orbit a classified spy satellite cargo (most likely KH-11 type satellite) for the U.S. National Reconnaissance Office. The largest of the Delta 4 family, the Heavy version features three Common Booster Cores mounted together to form a triple-body rocket. This is the second launch of a Delta IV Heavy from Vandenberg AFB (after NROL-49 in 2011), which launched a similar satellite into orbit. This will be the seventh launch of the Delta IV Heavy in program history and the fifth Delta IV launch at SLC-6.

Interestingly due to the infamous "rocket on BBQ" problem as seen during the NROL-49 launch....

...starting from this flight the starboard booster will start its RS-68A engine 2 seconds earlier than the other 2 (at T-7 s instead of T-5 s), such that a significant portion of the resulting fire will be drawn into launch table instead of rising up. Sorry, no roasted rocket today! :p

|
Launch date:​
| August 28, 2013
Window open:​
| 17:52 UTC / 10:52 a.m. PDT / 1:52 p.m. EDT
Window close:​
| 18:07 UTC / 11:07 a.m. PDT / 2:07 p.m. EDT
Launch site:​
| SLC-6, VAFB, California

{colsp=2}
[highlight]L[eventtimer]2013-8-28 17:52:00;%c%%ddd%/%hh%:%mm%:%ss%[/eventtimer][/highlight]​
|

This is the sixth operational flight of the Delta IV Heavy rocket and the second from the West Coast, Vandenber's SLC-6. A successful demonstration flight was flown on Dec. 21, 2004. The first operational mission with DSP-23 was flown Nov. 10, 2007, the second operational flight (NROL-26) was flown Jan. 17, 2009, and the third (NROL-32) on Nov. 21, 2010. NROL-49, launched Jan. 20, 2011, was the first DIV-H out of VAFB. The latest one, NROL-15, was launched Jun. 29, 2012.

Viewing the Launch Live:
Live broadcast will be available at 10:32 a.m. PDT / 1:32 p.m. EDT / 17:32 UTC on launch day on the ULA Web site.
The broadcast [eventtimer]2013-8-28 17:32?will start in|started;%c% %h% hours, %m%[/eventtimer] minutes[eventtimer]2013-8-28 17:32?.| ago.;%c%[/eventtimer]​

Mission Description:
This launch supports the military's national defense mission. The payload is confidential and is designated as National Reconnaissance Office L-65 (NROL-65), but most likely it's KH-11 type electro-optical reconnaissance satellite. From analysis by various satellite observers, the satellite it will replace is probably USA-186/NROL-20, launched on the very last Titan rocket on Oct. 19, 2005. The flow of official information about this mission will cease at the point of payload fairing separation. No further comment about the status of the mission will be made after this milestone.

{colsp=2}
Mission Insignia (clickable)
poster320409.jpg
|
nrol65120119.jpg

Launch Vehicle:
Delta-4H.jpg
|
Delta IV Heavy is comprised of a common booster core (CBC), two additional CBCs as strap-on liquid rocket boosters (LRBs) to augment the first-stage CBC, a cryogenic upper stage, and 5-m-diameter payload fairing (PLF).​
The Delta 4 CBC design is optimized for balanced performance over a wide range of payloads using the high-performance RS-68 main engine powered by liquid hydrogen (LH2) and liquid oxygen (LO2). The RS-68 is throttleable to serve various mission profiles operating at 102% and 58% thrust level. Two separate 5-m-dia. LO2 and LH2 tanks provide the majority of the first stage structure. These two tanks are integrated wih a composite cylinder, called the centerbody. At the forward end of the CBC, another composite cylinder, the interstage, provides the interface between the CBC and the cryogenic second stage. For the port and starboard strap-on CBCs of the Heavy configuration the interstage structure is replaced with a composite nose cone.​
At the aft end of the CBC, an engine section provides the thrust structure and thermal shield that integrates the RS-68 main engine to the CBC. The RS-68 requirements were balanced to enable operational thrust at lower chamber pressures. This design trade increase engine reliability, while reducing complexity. Compared with the SSME, the RS-68 has an 80% reduction in unique part count. Even with lower performance than comparable LO2/LH2 engines, the RS-68 develops a world record 2949 kN (663000 lb) of sea-level thrust with a specific impulse (Isp) of 359 seconds at sea level.​
The second stage comprises a 5-m-diameter fuel tank, a composite intertank structure, a liquid oxygen tank, avionics equipment shelf, avionics suite, attitude control system and is powered by a Pratt & Whitney RL10B-2 liquid rocket engine that produces 100kN (24750 lb.) of thrust. The RL10B-2, with its high expansion, carbon-carbon nozzle provides an Isp of 465.5 seconds.​

{colsp=2}

Launch preparations photos:

Links:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
OK, prediction for the launch :crystalball2: : The rocket explodes before lift-off, because now the engines ignite... I mean, they catch fire. :rofl:

Also, does the rocket reach the planned orbit, if it does not burn off the dead weight of the isolation?

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
A bit sad to see such a wonder carry only military stuff.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Very beefy article from NSF! NASASpaceflight.com: ULA Delta IV-H set to launch NROL-65

And I have missed yet another significant fact about this launch: the payload may well be the last of the Keyholes, the longest living family of spysats ever - starting with Discoverer 1 in 1959! This should also be the 16th KH-11 to fly since the first one was launched 34 years earlier.

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Launch time very slightly adjusted to 17:53 UTC / 10:53 am PDT.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
New T-0 at 18:03:00 UTC.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
T-4 minutes and counting.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
There still were flames on insulation foam. :p

Precise time of liftoff at 18:03:00.224 UTC.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
There still were flames on insulation foam. :p
Are you talking about the conical heatshields for the thrust structures? In that case, that's normal and expected due to the massive amount of heat generated by the RS-68 main engine. The heatshields are covered by a ablative TPS that protects the thrust structures. This causes the heatshields to be on fire but it's perfectly normal.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
Are you talking about the conical heatshields for the thrust structures?
No. The orange foam got black at the back of the rocket.

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
No. The orange foam got black at the back of the rocket.
That's expected and normal. Happens on all Delta IV launches be they Mediums or Heavies. The vehicle was designed for that.

orb

News Reporter
Reaction score
My comment was to address this:
...starting from this flight the starboard booster will start its RS-68A engine 2 seconds earlier than the other 2 (at T-7 s instead of T-5 s), such that a significant portion of the resulting fire will be drawn into launch table instead of rising up. Sorry, no roasted rocket today! :p

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
First rocket launch I've ever watched live (on video). That was really fun; I think I'll make it a tradition. It did seem like the fireball was not really mitigated at all from the previous DIV-H launch at Vandenberg.

EDIT: I take that back. The previous fireball was way worse. All 3 CBC's look charred from top to bottom on the older launch vice just the staggered charring on today's.

Last edited:

DaveS

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
First rocket launch I've ever watched live (on video). That was really fun; I think I'll make it a tradition. It did seem like the fireball was not really mitigated at all from the previous DIV-H launch at Vandenburg.
That fireball is expected and normal. The Delta IV was designed to handle it. Today's launch was very much like a launch of a Medium+ which has only one RS-68.

And it is Vandenberg, with an "E", not a "U". I have never understood why everyone keeps misspelling Vandenberg.

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score
And it is Vandenberg, with an "E", not a "U". I have never understood why everyone keeps misspelling Vandenberg.

Huh. I've spelled it correctly on other forums at least 10 times over the last few days. Corrected. And thanks!