News Elon Musk wants to put millions of people on Mars.

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
I would go in a heartbeat. The possibility for seeing things only a few other people would see is very seductive. As a photographer I'm constantly working around the fact that every inch of this planet has been shot to hell. (billions of photographs are taken every year) but to tread new ground and see new things would be truly a dream come true for me. Unfortunately, my professional skill set (Airplane Pilot, Photography) is not useful on any sort of space flight... oh, but the possibilities. :)

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Unfortunately, my professional skill set (Airplane Pilot, Photography) is not useful on any sort of space flight...
With a 100 people crew, some less useful people should be fine. Besides, there is a thing called PR, for which a photographer is useful. :)

Also, don't underestimate the martian atmosphere - you can fly in it with sufficient determination (and length of runway).

Last edited:

zerofay32

Buckeye
Reaction score
Eh. I probably wouldn't pass any sort of psych screening they would have. (not much of a team player, I would want to find a way to go off and just live on my own. First martian hermit) :p

And the wife wouldn't be happy unless she could come too.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Eh. I probably wouldn't pass any sort of psych screening they would have. (not much of a team player, I would want to find a way to go off and just live on my own. First martian hermit) :p

And the wife wouldn't be happy unless she could come too.

Being an introvert isn't the worst in spaceflight. Remember Michael Collins. Maybe somebody is needed who likes spending the day, sitting alone in the spaceship and keeping everything running fine for an emergency start.

N_Molson

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Yeah. And it can be useful when you spend one month in a cramped rover with a RTG as an unique companion à la "The Martian" ;)

Ask yourself about mental sanity when you begin to hug the RTG though... :hmm:

Last edited:

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
Well, you need something to keep your hot bath hot in the martian cold...

Shifty

Donator
Donator
Reaction score

The introduction of variation through mutation and then selective pressure from the harsh environment: the slow way to Martian adaptation. Everybody hug the RTG, then put on some James Brown!

Donamy

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
"I feel good !!!"

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
The landing of the ITS "spaceship" really seems like a modernized version of older sci-fi illustrations.

Elon Musk intends to use a crane (I'm guessing an internal system) for disemarking and reembarking on Mars.

[ame="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/781206685553528833"]Elon Musk on Twitter: "@BArtusio Three cable elevator on a crane. Wind force on Mars is low, so don't need to worry about being blown around."[/ame]

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Just a thought - is there any plan for an abort system for ITS? Losing 100+ crew in a pad fireball probably would impact SpaceX's stock value, I think.

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
...would impact SpaceX's stock value, I think.

No, SpaceX is private, AFAIK. Shareholders would probably have something to say about the whole colonizing Mars thing if it were otherwise.

Last edited:

Thunder Chicken

Fine Threads since 2008
Donator
Reaction score
Even still, they are using NASA ground support and facilities. Shareholders may not, but stakeholders have say in acceptable launch abort.

Also, how far back would one need to stand from the ITS booster at lift-off to ensure that you don't burn your eyebrows off if it explodes on the pad? The in-orbit fuel launch is fuel on top of fuel.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Uhm... 6 miles or so, if my math is right.

Sounds right. Also the ITS spacecraft should have more than enough Raptors for aborting the launch, if my math is right. It might be one of the slowest pad aborts in history, but it could work.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
With a 100 people crew, some less useful people should be fine. Besides, there is a thing called PR, for which a photographer is useful. :)

Also, don't underestimate the martian atmosphere - you can fly in it with sufficient determination (and length of runway).

Just hope you don't get sent into the "B-Ark"!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSid-p0Xlk0"]The B-Ark: HHGG Original TV series - YouTube[/ame]

Bob Clark

jthill

Reaction score

Am I reading this right? The 1/3-scale demonstrator version has a 27MW fuel pump?

In the full flow staged combustion cycle, almost all the fuel is first burned with a tiny bit of oxidizer in the fuel preburner to generate hot gas. Then, all that gas mass is put through the turbines, to drive the turbopumps, which are used to feed the preburners. […]The Raptor demonstrator turbomachinery is capable of producing 27MW of power

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Last edited: