News Elon Musk wants to put millions of people on Mars.

RGClark

Mathematician
Reaction score
Website
exoscientist.blogspot.com
In his presentation at about the 54 minute mark Musk discusses that the second stage in its tanker form or in its spaceship form will be able to reach orbit when used as a single stage. He states though the tanker will not be able to land, presumably because of insufficient reserve fuel. Then it could be an expendable SSTO.

However, he states it could be used as cargo ship for fast intercontinental deliveries. In this case it would need to land so presumably he means this would be at speeds just below orbital.

Making Humans a Multiplanetary Species - YouTube

A simulation of the ITS upper stage tanker as an SSTO:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kzyzwr-5XXY"]ITS Tanker SSTO - YouTube[/ame]

It suggests it can get a total mass of 190 metric tons to LEO as an expendable. Since the dry mass is 90 metric tons, this means a 100 metric ton payload to orbit.

Bob Clark

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
SSTO makes more sense as the scale of a launch vehicle increases. The fuel weight is roughly proportional to volume, while the dry weight is roughly proportional to surface area. So as volume:area ratio increases with scale, you get a naturally more favorable mass fraction. And this is a huge scale.

Nicholas Kang

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
News Reporter
Reaction score
This week at the International Astronautical Congress (IAC) in Adelaide, Australia, SpaceX CEO and Lead Designer Elon Musk will provide an update to his 2016 presentation regarding the long-term technical challenges that need to be solved to support the creation of a permanent, self-sustaining human presence on Mars.

You can watch the talk live on this page on Thursday, September 28th at 9:30 pm PDT,
or Friday, September 29 at 2:00 p.m. ACST in Adelaide, Australia.

Live stream:

Source

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Thats 6:00 in the morning for us central Europeans... :hmm:

Spam, ham, eggs & Musk?

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
New images released

Moon Base Alpha

21985302_390198441397684_1537615312923394048_n.jpg

Mars City

22071306_1845988779048871_1542263683013410816_n.jpg

---------- Post added at 11:19 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:59 PM ----------

Presentation starts in 10 minutes

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Holy Robert Heinlein, Batman!

It's hard for me to believe I'll see anything that cool in my lifetime, but hope springs eternal...

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Wow. That's a significant difference from the earlier artwork for ITS. I'm kinda meh about the changes, though.

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Wow. That's a significant difference from the earlier artwork for ITS. I'm kinda meh about the changes, though.
It's meant to be something big enough to send colonists to Mars and something that's small enough to reasonably replace F9 and FH within the next decade. There's a reason why I haven't been working on my fictional M-III Heavy, ever since Blue Origin's New Glenn and the ITS/BFR were unveiled.

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
Well, it seems it's also meant to be used as point-to-point VTOL suborbital transport, too:
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqE-ultsWt0"]BFR | Earth to Earth - YouTube[/ame]

Artlav

Aperiodic traveller
Addon Developer
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Website
orbides.org
Preferred Pronouns
she/her
He is delusional - "fly from city to city within minutes" won't ever happen because it takes 3-4 hours to go through the security and customs.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
He is delusional - "fly from city to city within minutes" won't ever happen because it takes 3-4 hours to go through the security and customs.

Next year, he will talk on twitter about a company named "AST Customs".

Pipcard

mikusingularity
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
According to the World of 2001 add-on,

"airlines wanted an airplane that could reject a takeoff or return to base at any point, not a flame-belching vertical-takeoff behemoth that needed to get supersonic before it was possible to abort and return to land."
(I'm guessing that was talking about vertical takeoff, horizontal landing, not vtvl, though?)

Last edited:

MaverickSawyer

Acolyte of the Probe
Reaction score
No, if memory serves, the Orion of "2001" was a catapult launched, two stage spaceplane design.

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The quoted statement was the justification for that design in-universe.

Yes - pretty constructed, but yes.

A VTVL has some big issues in that field, because it depends on its propulsion system, which is at the same time likely its most failure prone component. And isolating a failure to a single engine is much more difficult than it already is for aircraft.

But: That does not mean a horizontal take-off is automatically better. The flight US Airways Flight 1549 could have gone bad by just some variables changing. A different aircraft could already have been a problem.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
We shall see. The idea of a two-stage, suborbital passenger transport is not new; it's been around since the days of Eugen Sanger at the very least, although most early concepts were winged hypersonic skip-gliders that landed on runways. The margin for error gets ever more slim as performance increases, and thus the probability of error must be reduced as close to zero as possible, and that drives costs up. Then there are other considerations, like sonic booms, etc.

I give them credit for reviving old dreams, I just don't want to be let down again. This is part of the optimistic "Jetsons future" we all believed in as kids, and we need it to counter all the dystopian fatigue that modern sci fi offers.