OHM EUROPA PROGRAM

OrbitHangar

Addon Comments
Reaction score

Author: jacquesmomo

On 5 November 1971, the Europa 2 rocket F11 takes of from Kourou for its first and unfortunately last flight: the rocket will explode less than two minutes after.

This new failure of the launcher will put an endpoint to the Europa program, but it will be at the origin of Ariane program that will have the success that everyone knows.

It is this saga that I propose to revive, enhanced with some spectacular explosions.

Inclued Manual (history and commands) is in english and french.
PLEASE READ the manual for required add-ons.
Vinka's Multistage and Spacecraft required (included)
-------------------------------------------------------
Le 5 novembre 1971, le lanceur Europa 2 F11 décolle de Kourou pour son premier et hélas dernier vol, car la fusée va exploser moins de deux minutes après.

Ce nouvel échec du lanceur va mettre un point final au programme européen de lanceurs de la famille Europa, mais sera à l'origine du programme Ariane qui aura le succès que tout le monde connait.

C'est cette épopée que je vous propose de revivre, agrémenté de quelques explosions spectaculaires.

Le manuel inclu (historique et commandes) est en français et en anglais.
MERCI DE LIRE le manuel pour voir quels sont les add-ons indispensables.
Nécessite Multistage et Spacecraft de Vinka (inclus)

DOWNLOAD

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Looks good, and a lot of info in the Europa Manual, well done there.

For info, there are two zipped.cfg patches in the download, I don't know how they relate to this:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15082#post162131
from Algol, but it may help some installations.

Woomera 6A and the others were my first add-ons, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

N.

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Looks good, and a lot of info in the Europa Manual, well done there..
Thank you so :)
For info, there are two zipped.cfg patches in the download, I don't know how they relate to this:
http://www.orbiter-forum.com/showthread.php?t=15082#post162131
from Algol, but it may help some installations.
I studied that, and of course I install these 2 patch, but sometimes all is ok, sometimes no. I don't know why... I tried to modify these 2 patchs, inclued in my add-on, but all not seems to be fixed...
Woomera 6A and the others were my first add-ons, thats my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
But your add-on is GREAT I like it, that is why I recommande to install it, in my opinion it's a "must have"! Thank you for yor add-on, even there is sometimes something strange...

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
You have certainly put a lot into Europa, jacquesmomo, I wasn't sure you were aware of algol's .cfg patches. Good to see Woomera is getting used!

N.

Tedson

Reaction score
Hi

I have your previous addon of Europa program. Congratulations for you! Your addon is an excellent job. :thumbup: :cheers:
I would like to know if this version is diferent or have just the english manual added.
Sorry about my english, but I don't speak french. Only english and portuguese. :facepalm:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
I have your previous addon of Europa program. Congratulations for you! Your addon is an excellent job. :thumbup: :cheers:
I would like to know if this version is diferent or have just the english manual added.
Sorry about my english, but I don't speak french. Only english and portuguese. :facepalm:
Hi! And thank you again...
No, this version is exactly the same, just Manuel in english added.
(My english is not better than yours, I'm french...)

K_Jameson

Reaction score
Great addon, especially the documentation, with a lot of very interesting informations on this "vintage" space project!

Cosmic Penguin

Geek Penguin in GTO
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Well I HAD to bump this because I have found a grave error in the configuration files for the orbital bound Europa I/II series (not sure about the IIIB/E series)......when I flew the "nominal" launches (I tried F10 and F12), I found that the rocket was decelerating while the 2nd stage (the French Coralie) was burning....which was extremely unusual.

So I take a look at the configuration files...... and guess what? I found that the thrust of the 2nd stage was too low by a factor of 10!

Take a look at the Config/Vessels/Europa/europa2f12,ini file for example:

Code:
[STAGE_2]
MESHNAME="Europa\europast2"
OFF=(0.,0.,11.361584)
IGNITE_DELAY=5.
Diameter=2.0 
Height=5.7
EmptyMass=2099
FuelMass=9795.0
[COLOR="Red"]Thrust=30000. ;29000.0 ;280000[/COLOR]
BurnTime=96
eng_1=(-0.45,0.427,-3.4)
eng_2=(-0.45,-0.427,-3.4)
eng_3=(0.45,0.427,-3.4)
eng_4=(0.45,-0.427,-3.4)
eng_diameter=0.25
ENG_TEX=Exhaust2

Yes....the thrust was set at 30 kN when it was supposed to be 300 kN! No wonder the rocket isn't accelerating!

Jacques, I'm sorry but you might need to do quite a few new test flights (and new guidance files....) of the Europa to fix this issue! :uhh:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
The "exact" thrust value is 274,680 N for the second stage.

Notebook

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
News Reporter
Donator
Reaction score
Not sure whats going on here?

This http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europa_(rocket) gives

Second stage (Optional) - Coralie (rocket)

Engines
4 LRBA Vexin-A

Thrust
28,000 kg

I like the (Optional), wonder how you do that?

Gets better, http://www.astronautix.com/lvs/europa.htm

Stage Data - Europa
•Stage 1. 1 x Europa-1. Gross Mass: 89,406 kg (197,106 lb). Empty Mass: 6,997 kg (15,425 lb). Thrust (vac): 1,672.671 kN (376,031 lbf). Isp: 282 sec. Burn time: 156 sec. Isp(sl): 248 sec. Diameter: 3.05 m (10.00 ft). Span: 3.80 m (12.40 ft). Length: 18.75 m (61.51 ft). Propellants: Lox/Kerosene. No Engines: 2. Engine: RZ.2. Other designations: Blue Streak, ELDO-1. Status: Out of Production.
•Stage 2. 1 x Europa-2. Gross Mass: 11,894 kg (26,221 lb). Empty Mass: 2,099 kg (4,627 lb). Thrust (vac): 274.000 kN (61,597 lbf). Isp: 277 sec. Burn time: 96 sec. Isp(sl): 240 sec. Diameter: 2.00 m (6.50 ft). Span: 2.00 m (6.50 ft). Length: 5.70 m (18.70 ft). Propellants: N2O4/UDMH. No Engines: 4. Engine: Vexin A. Other designations: Coralie. Status: Out of Production.
•Stage 3. 1 x Europa-3. Gross Mass: 3,370 kg (7,420 lb). Empty Mass: 610 kg (1,340 lb). Thrust (vac): 23.330 kN (5,245 lbf). Isp: 310 sec. Burn time: 330 sec. Isp(sl): 260 sec. Diameter: 2.00 m (6.50 ft). Span: 2.00 m (6.50 ft). Length: 3.36 m (11.02 ft). Propellants: N2O4/Aerozine-50. No Engines: 1. Engine: Astris. Other designations: Astris. Status: Out of Production.

N.

Last edited:

Urwumpe

Not funny anymore
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Preferred Pronouns
Sire
Remember, Orbiter takes the thrust in Newtons, not in kg per long ton

boogabooga

Bug Crusher
Reaction score
I HATE it when I see kg measuring force.

SI is supposed to be an improvement over the British system for an enlightened world, where we know Newton's second law.

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
I found that the rocket was decelerating while the 2nd stage (the French Coralie) was burning....which was extremely unusual.
So I take a look at the configuration files...... and guess what? I found that the thrust of the 2nd stage was too low by a factor of 10!
Yes....the thrust was set at 30 kN when it was supposed to be 300 kN! No wonder the rocket isn't accelerating!
Jacques, I'm sorry but you might need to do quite a few new test flights (and new guidance files....) of the Europa to fix this issue!
Hmm... Thank you for pointing that out ...

Europa was my first add-on ... So, I did not have much experience for flight plans ..
I will (when I have some time) review that and correct ... :hmm:

The "exact" thrust value is 274,680 N for the second stage.
I'll do some tests with this value. Thank you again. :salute:

Not sure whats going on here?
I like the (Optional), wonder how you do that?

In any case, thank you to you interrested this add-on. I will consider all the comments ...
friendly :cheers:

Loru

Retired Staff Member
Retired Staff
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
I HATE it when I see kg measuring force.

SI is supposed to be an improvement over the British system for an enlightened world, where we know Newton's second law.

Kilogram-force is not SI unit. Newton is. Kilogram-force is part of Gravitational metric system

BTW - it's nice little rocket. :D I'd like to see it recoded with Payload manager and some additional stuff. :D

Last edited:

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
I would like do something more ... But unfortunately I do not know yet how to encode dll ... so...

But I think I'll revisit this add-on in future , and add the true "Symphonie" satellite, and certainly some adjustement and if I can some improvement....
But prior, I want to finish translation of the doc "Tintin on the moon" (because all is in french) which will take me a while.

Anyway, thank you for your encouragement which give me great pleasure.
:cheers:

8bitgamer13

Reaction score
Hi, Jaquesmomo-
Is it all right by you if I edit the blue streak rocket/stage so that it is somewhat more true to life? (I intend to change the nose cone to the original slightly-flattened light cone seen in all its photos, as well as hollow out an engine compartment which I can recede part of the engines and their plumbing into, the nozzles of which I will change to simple cones, as in the real blue streak)

jacquesmomo

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
Website
francophone.dansteph.com
Hello

No problem, you can make the changes you want.

I'm since a long time on the adaptation of Kourou-CSG for Orbiter 2016, an update for the EUROPA 2 rocket is planned(it was my first ad-on !) but I have first to finish ELS and ELA3, this takes me a long time...
( and also Edy ( a french guy) is modeling ELA4 for the futur Ariane 6)

barrygolden

Reaction score
you should do an update of the Europa orbiter planned to fly on the second SLS launch

but STS39 for 2010 would be great as well