Gaming Games and Linux

Major Tom

Aircraftman
Reaction score
I will be building a new desktop PC for gaming. What are the really good games out there. I prefer games and simulations like Orbiter over games where it is all about eye/hand coordination or reaction times.

How about Linux. It has come a long way but will Linux make a good machine for games?

Thanks
MT

Moonwalker

Reaction score
How about Linux. It has come a long way but will Linux make a good machine for games?

Actually not. You can run some Windows games on Linux meanwhile, but mostly not without significant performance and frame rate losses (and also a few bugs). You only have OpenGL available.

RisingFury

OBSP developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If you're using your computer just for gaming, stay on Windows.

If you're using it for anything else, you should have a dual boot - Windows, Linux.

Also, I heard latest Wine on Linux is working quite well :)

Moonwalker

Reaction score
If you're using your computer just for gaming, stay on Windows.

If you're using it for anything else, you should have a dual boot - Windows, Linux.

Yes. That's an advantageous configuration. I also have a dual boot system (Windows XP Home and Linux Ubuntu). I even had a third one installed - Vista, which I don't really require at home. So I keep using XP and Ubuntu only.

Also, I heard latest Wine on Linux is working quite well :)

That's true. Cedega is even better (but it's commercial) and officially supported by a few game companies. The performance still is not comparable to the performance using windows. But I think that this is going to change in future...

Cobalt

Reaction score
If you've got the beastly machine for it, do what my friend does, run Linux full time with a Windows VM. He does that and pops on Steam occasionally.

Major Tom

Aircraftman
Reaction score
It sounds like for games and some special apps, (read Photoshop) Windows is still the way to go. I will stick with XP for now.

How about games? Anything special that I should check out?

Hielor

Defender of Truth
Donator
Beta Tester
Reaction score
Also, if you're building a brand-new top-of-the-line rig with a DX10 graphics card and will be using games which can take advantage of DX10, you should go with Vista, since DX10 isn't for XP. If you've got a strong gaming rig, the performance hit will be negligible.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
Some of my favorite games that run natively on Linux:
bzFlag
FreeCiv
Nethack
Moria
Also a couple of good shooting games (though that's not the OP's favourite type apparently):
Nexuiz
Tremulous
Unfortunately, these two don't have any sort of story mode, but the multiplayer is quite good. And America's Army is out there for Linux I've heard, but it's always a few versions behind or something. I don't play it, so I don't know.

My overall assesment of the state of gaming on Linux is that FOSS developers do write some nice games, and there are actual games in pretty much all categories (simulation, RTS, FPS, RPG, etc...) avaliable for Linux, for free (in the sense of beer and speech). However, the variety is somewhat lacking, and the offerings just don't seem to have the polish of something commercial. For the most part (there are exceptions to every rule, like Introversion, http://www.introversion.co.uk/), commercial outfits don't percieve Linux users as a large enough market to bother writeing Linux versions of their stuff.

thomasantony

Reaction score
Website
www.thomasantony.com
Windows is an enhanced DOS that makes a nice console, hehehe.

^^ Any person saying that doesn't have the slightest idea about the software architecture behind windows, or its vast API, or just about how it is fundamentally NOT DOS.

As for me , I have a Triple-boot system. Vista for primary boot. XP for occasionaly web design ( IE6 is still a necessary evil it seems) and Ubuntu as a backup in case all else fails.

cjp

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Donator
Reaction score
Linux is a nice gaming platform, but unfortunately many nice games don't run very well on Linux.

There are some free games for Linux, but for most big commercial titles you're stuck using Wine. You can see in the Appdb (see earlier post) how well things currently work; at this moment the rate of improvement of Wine is really high, so expect improvements within a few months.

You can also run Windows itself inside a VM in Linux, and run windows games from there. If you want to do that, you should check whether your processor has native support for virtualization: that could make a VM a lot faster.

I'm almost finished with the 100% checklist of GTA Vice City, playing it in Linux only (using Wine). It has the platinum status in the Appdb, and it works flawlessly.

PS.
Wine includes its own support for DirectX, on top of OpenGL. The Wine people are working on DirectX 10. Once they're finished, they can also port it to Windows XP, so you'll no longer need Vista for that.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com

:rolleyes:

If you want to do anything more than surf the web and check your email, you need either Mac or Windows. If you want games AND nearly unlimited functionality, then Windows is the only decent choice.

Dual-booting is a waste of time and hard drive space. If you want to be an elitist nerdy schmuck (to turn a 3 Dead Trolls in a Baggie phrase), then yeah, you can do the simple basic crap on Linux, but it WON'T buy you anything but brownie points on slash dot.

Linux is best as a server (not the best server, just that it's best use is AS a server).

Scarecrow

Reaction score
:rolleyes:

If you want to do anything more than surf the web and check your email, you need either Mac or Windows. If you want games AND nearly unlimited functionality, then Windows is the only decent choice.

Dual-booting is a waste of time and hard drive space. If you want to be an elitist nerdy schmuck (to turn a 3 Dead Trolls in a Baggie phrase), then yeah, you can do the simple basic crap on Linux, but it WON'T buy you anything but brownie points on slash dot.

Linux is best as a server (not the best server, just that it's best use is AS a server).

That is disgustingly false. I use Linux exclusively on my laptop (windows is a necessary evil for orbiter and a couple of other games I like, but I keep it contained within my old computer), and in addition to browsing the web and checking mail, I play music, develop software, do word processing, some gaming, occasional graphic design, and anything else that suits my fancy. I haven't found anything (aside from the aforementioned games), I that I can't do with it yet.

Just because you don't know how to make Linux do what you want, doesn't mean other people don't know how to make it do what they want. Please don't bash things you know nothing about.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
That is disgustingly false. I use Linux exclusively on my laptop (windows is a necessary evil for orbiter and a couple of other games I like, but I keep it contained within my old computer), and in addition to browsing the web and checking mail, I play music, develop software, do word processing, some gaming, occasional graphic design, and anything else that suits my fancy. I haven't found anything (aside from the aforementioned games), I that I can't do with it yet.

Just because you don't know how to make Linux do what you want, doesn't mean other people don't know how to make it do what they want. Please don't bash things you know nothing about.

:rofl:

Says the Windows hating zealot. Please, you people are all the same. There is nothing wrong with XP Pro or Vista, they run EVERYTHING, and ALL hardware works with them. They take next to nothing to get up and running, and they just work. If YOU can't do it, don't blame the software.

I'm a network admin, I have used everything. I "know how to make Linux work", it's just a waste of time. Everything that I want to do (EVERYTHING) works on Windows, it's stable, it's reliable, and it's also nice to use (not insulting like a Mac, and infinitely flexible). All this windows hatred is based on myth, paranoia, and ignorance. Fact.

Scarecrow

Reaction score
:rofl:

Says the Windows hating zealot. Please, you people are all the same. There is nothing wrong with XP Pro or Vista, they run EVERYTHING, and ALL hardware works with them. They take next to nothing to get up and running, and they just work. If YOU can't do it, don't blame the software.

I'm a network admin, I have used everything. I "know how to make Linux work", it's just a waste of time. Everything that I want to do (EVERYTHING) works on Windows, it's stable, it's reliable, and it's also nice to use (not insulting like a Mac, and infinitely flexible). All this windows hatred is based on myth, paranoia, and ignorance. Fact.

I must say that my experience has been quite the opposite of yours, and is not myth, or paranoia. Ignorance, perhaps, but I blame Microsoft's crappy documentation. It's just things like Windows Product Activation, features hidden in gpedit.msc that should be easier to get at and more widely known (or should be activated by default), the registry, the fact that everything is closed source, secret, and hard to modify, and others that piss me off. In addition, cmd.exe pales in comparison to bash, why a decent text editor like vim or emacs (or both) aren't included mystifies me, the same goes for a rich collection of compilers and interpreters, and package managers like yum and apt are so great that I will never again love an operating system without something similar. And of course, you can't beat the price of the software. I haven't paid a cent for any of the software on my computer (yes, it's all legal), unless you count a few bucks for blank dvds.

But to each his own. Each of us clearly has something we like, and nothing either of us says will convince the other of the superiority of our own opinion. I'm glad you're happy with what you have.:cheers:

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Well, the closed source and "hidden" aspect, is due to the fact that M$ is a for profit enterprise, which built itself on operating systems.

I'm not a fan of them or their tactics, but it must be admitted that they drove the computer industry - yes Jobs and Woz helped, but it was primarily IBM, Intel, and M$ (and Xerox-PARC) that got us where we are today (with a P4 3.2GHz and 2GB of RAM sitting on my desktop, bought for less than $2000 when it was the hottest thing on the market).

Also, it's not a hidden secret, much of the information you seek is available online or at a book store, it just takes the effort to go get it. And that part is actually not much different than Linux. Sure, there may be MORE info available for the inner workings of Linux, but the amount of info on the innards of Windows is far more than you make it out to be, and nearly none of it is acutally needed to just get it installed and running.

As for text editors, I find that Notepad.exe is sufficient for most things. Wordpad.exe is basically a lightweight but nearly fully fledged word processor, but I never use it. If I need something more than notepad I use Word. (There too, I LIKE Word and Excel, they rock. But if I had to pay for it, I'd be using Open Office, no doubt lol) For the purpose of actual text editing (ie, nothing fancy, just reading basic text, or jotting stuff down), notepad is very useful. I almost never use a pen anymore. lol

If I could be bothered, I could tweak it to get even more neat usefulness out of any of the variants, I'm just too busy doing other things. lol

My purpose here isn't to slam Linux. I actually liked certain versions of various desktops (NeXTStep, was it called? Was really cool looking. KDE is ok too), free is always nice, and it has come a LONG way, but I really get sick of this undue, innactuate hatred for Windows. And the thing is, I never LIKED Windows. lol

I go back to DOS, GUIs are offensive at their nature, DOS was *not* hard to use, you only needed to know 5 things, at most, to use it. Instead we got saddled with this "user friendliness" crap, and of course 3.1 sucked balls. When 95 came out, I found it much better, but still used it the same as I did 3.1, ie booting to a command prompt and launching Windows when needed for whatever reason. It was only after a few years and several builds (for various reasons) that I gave up on that and booted to the GUI. Since then, I've been forced to accept that it really isn't the evil thing I once thought it was (and so many of you still do).

In fact, my experience with other OS's (Mac in both pre and post OSX trim, BeOS, OS2, and of course various flavors of Linux desktops) has only enforced my preference for Windows (something helped by each successive version of Windows as well).

If there's something you want to do, program it. That's what the Linux community would do, right? It's really no different. You can do almost anything. It's just a mindset.

For me, it's a combination of things - the look and feel, and the flexibility (nothing tops the Explorer shell in those areas, older KDEs looked like it, but had many irritating lacks of flexibility that frustrated me and made me long for Explorer), as well as the near limitless software and hardware library. Nothing has to be coded (by me or the user community) to work (DVD playback, for example. ;) ), and my options are limitless, and by and large, quite cheap.

To be perfectly honest, I don't really care what anyone uses, and while I DO like Windows, I'm not a zealot over it, I just get triggered by the lies and extremism demonstrated against it. :cheers:

Linguofreak

Reaction score
As for text editors, I find that Notepad.exe is sufficient for most things. Wordpad.exe is basically a lightweight but nearly fully fledged word processor, but I never use it. If I need something more than notepad I use Word.

Out of curiosity, ever tried Textpad?

I go back to DOS, GUIs are offensive at their nature, DOS was *not* hard to use, you only needed to know 5 things, at most, to use it. Instead we got saddled with this "user friendliness" crap,

I wouldn't say GUI's are offensive by nature, but the more recent versions of Windows certainly do insult the user's intelligence. The earlier versions kept quiet. Now you get all kinds of little boxes popping up offering to help you with various stuff. Which is one of the things that makes me want to at least try dual booting Linux and seeing if I like it (I'm still 100% Windows so far).

Speaking of offensive GUI's, I find the default WinXP look and feel, not to mention the Vista Aero look and feel (though I've only used or seen Vista on other people's computers), to be quite an eyesore. I always switch back to the classic scheme.

Usquanigo

Reaction score
Website
uk.groups.yahoo.com
Out of curiosity, ever tried Textpad?

No, can't say I have. Just haven't found notepad lacking really. Any special features to that? Linkage?

I wouldn't say GUI's are offensive by nature, but the more recent versions of Windows certainly do insult the user's intelligence. The earlier versions kept quiet. Now you get all kinds of little boxes popping up offering to help you with various stuff. Which is one of the things that makes me want to at least try dual booting Linux and seeing if I like it (I'm still 100% Windows so far).

Speaking of offensive GUI's, I find the default WinXP look and feel, not to mention the Vista Aero look and feel (though I've only used or seen Vista on other people's computers), to be quite an eyesore. I always switch back to the classic scheme.

Well, GUIs are useful and do allow certain levels of flexibility that is hard, if not impossible, to come by in a command line only interface, I do admit that. It's just the real reason for their dominance on the market that irks me. "DOS is too hard, I need something easier" - then don't use a bloody computer! Nobody gripes about having to learn to use ANY other device (like a car, for instance), and yet they all expect a PC to be idiot proof. And of course, with that come the idiots.

.....erm. I haven't vented on that in a LONG while. lol Most people clogging the internet don't need to be here. Spam exists for 1 reason, and 1 reason only - it works, people actually buy stuff from spammers. Even .0001% is enough for them to keep going and try harder. To say nothing of the slowness caused by unecessarily large email attachments and soaking up bandwidth just because they don't know what to do with themselves.

Anyway.... as for XP, yeah, I HATED that interface. I call it the Fisher-Price interface. I argued with someone I worked with that they forsaked us and focued purely on idiots who never touched a computer before (and as such, had no need to touch one at all). He, being a big M$ fan, said that wasn't true. We went to the XP launch event and someone from M$ explained their research and design method behind the new interface - they got a lot of people and asked them all one question "have you ever used a computer before" and if they said yes, they were dismissed. The rest were given a series of tasked and observed. The new interface was designed around that and further input from them.

So I always set it back to "classsic" to make it look like 2000, which really was the pinnacle of the Explorer shell.

However, Aero rocks. When I was first installing it I thought "oh good, Windows-Mac - joy....." but as I got to use it, I really like damn near everything about it. That is of course, after turning off User Account Control. It's not particularly 'chatty' now.

When it comes to insulting, nothing tops the Mac. Their whole premise is "we know you're an idiot, here's a computer YOU can use". They've gotten better, but they are still rooted in their ways, and it's NOT easier to use than Windows, it's just different. In fact, Windows has more flexibility, which makes it easier to use (though perhaps more difficult to teach).

XP (default look) was just made for toddlers. Not *quite* as insulting, just irritating. lol

Aero is also lighter than most people want to beleive too - I have identical systems here (work) and at home. The one at home has a better video car and sound car and runs XP Pro with classic style interface enabled, the one here is Vista Enterprise with all the Aero goodies and a crappy video card and sound card, and it'e EVERY bit as fast.