Gemini Titan ADI Ball

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
www.101stAirborneDivisionClan.com
Gemini Titan ADI Ball

Any chance we can get this instrument in an MFD? I would like to study they way NASA trained thier pilots to read this instrument. The titan doesnt have enough fuel really to do an earth orbit so its hard to study this accept for the missions the Gemini project can fly.

This instrument is also shown in the Orbiter default Atlantis cockpit but doesnt work. Its in the rear of the cockpit near the controlls for the robotic arm controlls and the bay doors controlls. It is totally just an image that doesnt work at all. Kind of a tease if you ask me.

Thanks in advance

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
I wasnt aware of this

I wasnt aware of this

I wasnt aware of this for the dragonfly but I want an MFD that has this instrument so I can have it for any spacecraft that is suborbital to orbital to deepspace capable. I dont think I will be taking the dragonfly to the moon or Mars anytime soon. But your kind for your input. I will study this.

Any idea how to turn an instrument into an MFD?? Or who I can talk to ? Anyone?

Your assistance is welcome and actually being begged for.

Graham2001

Reaction score
I wasnt aware of this

I wasnt aware of this for the dragonfly but I want an MFD that has this instrument so I can have it for any spacecraft that is suborbital to orbital to deepspace capable. I dont think I will be taking the dragonfly to the moon or Mars anytime soon. But your kind for your input. I will study this.

Any idea how to turn an instrument into an MFD?? Or who I can talk to ? Anyone?

Your assistance is welcome and actually being begged for.

There is something similar on Orbiter Hangar, it's a bit old, but may be what you are looking for:

[ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3242"]Align Plane II V1.2[/ame]

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Thanks

Any chance anyone here would be willing to adapt this to 2006??

I will test the above mentioned MFD on a new install of Orbiter 2006 P1 and see if it works. Then I will post my findings here.

Thanks

MJR

C++ developer in the mix
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
If it was 2005 version, then yes, there is a way to convert it.

computerex

Addon Developer
Addon Developer
Reaction score
If it was 2005 version, then yes, there is a way to convert it.

The source is not included within the add-on, and unless the add-on developer is still active, or is willing to hand over the source code, it's not possible to do it.

The Titan ADI ball is I believe made with OpenGL, and I think the project is open source, so it shouldn't be hard to make an MFD for it.

Andy44

owner: Oil Creek Astronautix
Addon Developer
Reaction score
I have Align Plane II installed currently and it works fine, but for some reason the graphics of the ball are all dark. Back when I was using 2005 it was the proper bright blue color. I don't know what happened to it.

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
I feel honored

I feel honored. All the big wigs here are chimming in. Thanks guys.

Where would I get Aligh Plane II?

I should mention that I have no Idea how to make an MFD for 2006 P1, but if anyone also knows of where I can find a tutorial on how to make an MFD for 2006, then I would be happy to head up the project.

Seeing how its something I would like for 2006.

Thanks guys.

Graham2001

Reaction score
I have Align Plane II installed currently and it works fine, but for some reason the graphics of the ball are all dark. Back when I was using 2005 it was the proper bright blue color. I don't know what happened to it.

When I tested it during one of my NASSP flights I got a message saying it was not supported and that I had to press <F8> to get it to work.

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Many Thanks to you all for your responses and help. I am still looking for a fix for either Align Plane II v 1.1 or Align Plane v 1.2 . I would also like to investigate and/or ask the various developers of those other projects(i.e. Gemini Titan, Dragonfly). It should be noted that Space Shuttle Mission 2007 has one in one of its MED (Multi-Function Electronic Display) as seen here:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/1/13/SSM2007-KSC-Landing.jpg

Any Help for this would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Adam

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
RE: Align Plane II V1.2 Link

You can get it from Orbiter Hangar, I posted a link to it in my first post on this thread.

Title: RE: Align Plane II V1.2 Link

To: Graham2001

Thank you for your response and help in this matter. I have been away on business and had to re-open this thread due to the fact that in Orbiter 2006 P1 and now in Orbiter 2010 P1, we still do not have a working MFD that gives one of the most basic and elementary tools of spaceflight for pilots/astronauts since the Mercury Program: A working ADI (Attitude Director Indicator) or an FDAI (Flight Director Attitude Indicator) gimbal.

Some developers from this forum have been working on a more advanced Lunar Lander with a working ADI for their lunar lander from scratch project located here:
Animation Drift. Ball not returning to center

...but it is still being developed and will no doubt be an instrument only found in the lander and not an MFD that can be used for any craft much to my dismay.

Hence, I am continuing my pursuit of the code for the original Align Plane II MFD.

I have found only 2 downloadable versions of Align Plane II on the two most widely used Orbiter MFD source sites: AVSIM and Orbit Hangar Mods. From what I have gathered, Align Plane II was created by Yves Ruggeri, and was made available on AVSIM.com ,

Located here: Align Plane II

Direct download LINK

Here are the details:
Author: Y. Ruggeri
Added on: 14th November 2003, 19:41:01
size: 1404kb
Filename: alignplaneii.zip
File Description: This is a refinement of the default Align Orbital Plane of Orbiter. It contains a fully functional FDAI which enables the positionning of the spacecraft before the maneuver. Both Inclinaison and LAN can be precisely targeted.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Also, on Orbit Hangar Mods, there is a version 1.2 downloadable MFD located here: [ame="http://www.orbithangar.com/searchid.php?ID=3242"]Align Plane II V1.2[/ame]

Its details are as such:

Align Plane II V1.2
Orbiter Version: 031217
Author: http://www.orbithangar.com/searchauth.php?search=graham2001
File: AlignPlaneIIv1.2.zip
Date Added: 08/02/08
Add-on Description: Align Plan II V1.2 is an alternate to the Align Plane MFD supplied with Orbiter. It offers the ability to change plane in a single burn.
Created by Yves Ruggeri, an earlier version was made available through AVSIM.com
I am uploading it here to make it available to the wider Orbiter community.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

In my short day's research on the subject I have found that Align Plane II v1.0 ("alignplaneii.zip") from AVSIM.com is the release that DOES NOT give the "This MFD only works in cockpit mode Press F8" Error Message. And that pressing F8 does not allow the MFD FDAI gimbal to work either.

It is only the version 1.2 Align Plane II ("AlignPlaneIIv1.2.zip") that gives this error. However version 1.0's FDAI is on several different test machines with various processors and newer and older video cards as well as the legacy and up to date drivers for those cards all yielded a very dark gimbal that made it impossible to see the image of the FDAI ball.

I have contacted the original author and plan to contact the distributor of the second version released to see if we can get the source code from either of them. If I do then I will post it here.

Thank you all for your input and help.

martins

Orbiter Founder
Orbiter Founder
Reaction score
Website
orbit.medphys.ucl.ac.uk
In case you are interested: The Orbiter Beta has a Shuttle-A with an ADI instrument (not an MFD mode). Feel free to use the sources as starting point for an ADI MFD.

Hlynkacg

Aspiring rocket scientist
Addon Developer
Tutorial Publisher
Donator
Reaction score
In case you are interested: The Orbiter Beta has a Shuttle-A with an ADI instrument (not an MFD mode). Feel free to use the sources as starting point for an ADI MFD.

Is there any way that the shuttle A's panel method could be ported to an MFD?

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website

Thank you martins for your most informational and greatly needed informative reply. I haven't been as active in Orbiter as I'd hoped I would recently and to request assistance for this most realistic and essential instrument again after so long a time of inactivity on my part -and to then get the answer to it at long last, brings me immense joy. Thank you VERY very much!

:hail::bananadance::woohoo:

polaris149Tiberius

Tutorial Publisher
Tutorial Publisher
Reaction score
Website
Thank you

Thank you very much. I appreciate everyone's input and help. I don't know much about how to make an MFD but it looks like I'll have to learn. Might be a while folks. If anyone can offer some help or tutorial links on how to quickly get started making an MFD from source code, I don't know a think about OpenGL, or C++. I have had a few classes in object oriented languages (Java) so I understand some concepts. But Ill search around the forums and any shortcuts would be much appreciated.

Thanks agan,